Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 907030 times)

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #12630 on: June 26, 2017, 11:52:10 AM »
IT is REALLY hard to run a show, regardless of the main focus.  Too many people think that if you schedule it, people will pay to be there and shoppers will show up just because.  It drives me nuts that people say "juried" when it's really not.  I'm happy for you, Larissa, that you avoided the nightmare!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12631 on: June 26, 2017, 02:00:03 PM »
Oh, I get that it's really hard to run a show.  I see how hard it is just to throw a big party that we do every year, let alone dealing with the town and vendors and advertising and all that other junk.  It's got to be crazy.  I love organizing things, so on the surface it sounds really fun... and then I realize it's not.

So definitely kudos to Allison for starting the farmers market and trying to make it work.  She just really needs to up her game as a professional and understand the costs of doing business, and not take bad advice.  She lost not only $850 in market income, but also a whole additional full vendor booth (an attractive one, too, if I do say so myself), including lathe and spinning wheel demos (Eric was 100% planning to turn pens at he market and I was planning to spin yarn) by letting us take a step back and think about what we were getting into, rather than just being willing to take a CC or Paypal payment for our booth, with her paying the under $30 in fees (I think it was actually $23).  The kicker is she actually allows CC/Paypal payments for the occasional vendors (with her eating the fees), but wouldn't do it for us as a full-season vendor.  I'm sorry, that's just not good business.  I want her to be wildly successful, but I fear that if she doesn't figure it out fast, it'll just die out.

As for Cissy and the alleged "juried" craft fair - she's just a no-good shyster.  Examples, and why I wouldn't sign up for one of hers without scouting it first: 

Many years ago when I was a newer face painter, she told me that a street fair she was running would be a GREAT venue for me and I'd be the only body artist... and then in this TEENY TINY fair in a poor, crappy area, put me right across from the airbrush tattoos.  Only body artist, my foot.  I made $3, but spent $25 to be there, for a loss of $22.

When E & I first started Reef Botanicals, we decided to try again.  A fair at a school cafeteria one winter, where there was alleged to be a "craft corner."  Well, we WERE the entirety of the "craft corner," located directly next to the knock off $1 perfumes.  Not kidding.  And she hadn't arranged for heat in the school cafeteria, so we were all wearing our winter coats and still chattering and shivering.  No food arranged to be available, even to purchase.  People kept coming over to our soap, thinking it was fudge and being horribly disappointed.  $0 in sales.  Forget how much we spent to be there.

So when I saw "juried craft fair," I was skeptical, but wanted to check it out.  At least we met a cool woodworker and got the nifty plant.  And learned never to work with Cissy ever, ever again.  Ever.  Like ever.  She's been doing this many, many years, and it just boils down to the fact that she's just a horrible person.

In the meantime, Eric is selling his stuff like hotcakes, and I'm doing my darnedest to push mine.  I know that my yarn is tougher if people can't touch it, and if I don't start dyeing... which I want to do but need more stock first.  The drum carder is helping speed things up a lot, but it's still a lot of work, obviously.

Offline Fracture

• View Profile
« Reply #12632 on: June 27, 2017, 04:24:48 AM »

Hello,

this is what I'm doing today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLSTBKqfyOE

This video is awesome.  ^-^

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12633 on: June 27, 2017, 07:44:59 AM »
I never get done everything I intend.  Didn't finish washing the Shetland last night (not as easy as alpaca!) So I'll finish that tonight.  It's really awesome, though.  And funny thing - I've got this leather bracelet that I wear that I now realize smells - probably permanently - like lanolin from washing the fleece.  I love it!

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #12634 on: June 27, 2017, 09:56:32 AM »
Thanks for posting the video, Fracture....  it is very cool!  Would love to see your creations!

Larissa - is your rash gone?

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12635 on: June 27, 2017, 10:14:39 AM »
Yes!  Predisone is freakin' awesome stuff.  Though I forgot to take my last dose this morning - I'll take it tonight just to finish up.  Really wish I knew what caused it, though.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12636 on: July 08, 2017, 01:48:25 PM »
Glad to see everyone keeping busy. I'm in the middle of "show craziness" season! Did one last Fri, another on Mon. ans Tues. Today I'm dyeing some yarn, have mulberries juiced to make jelly, need to make candles and further prepare for next week's show (add a few things to the car and trailer) And to think I'm the one who scheduled all this :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: . Have fun everyone.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #12637 on: July 24, 2017, 11:36:08 AM »
I am a bad poster...  I simply vanished from everywhere - not because I lost interest but because I have been so incredibly busy!

Did a show that included a special order.  When I delivered the special order, the customer placed a second special order.  That one gets delivered today.

I finished the trout quilt and sold it!  Wish all my quilts would be like that!

The house we bought desperately needed a deck off the back.  So we designed one (347 square feet), drew the plans, bought the materials and were construction workers for the better part of two weeks.  Because of the slope of our lot, the engineering to make sure that the stress on the piers/posts would be supported was interesting.   But we now have a beautiful deck and we just LOVE IT! (Before and after photos below).

In the meantime, my reupholstery project of my dining room chairs just languished.  So that is now at the top of my list - four are done; just two more to go.

I have been invited to exhibit for the First Friday Art Walk in Cedaredge for the rest of the season (August/September).  And, I have an order for six teddy bears for one of the galleries/craft stores here. 

So please forgive me for not staying in touch - you all know I just love this site!

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12638 on: July 25, 2017, 07:45:02 AM »
Nice work. Love the deck.
I've been so jammed up, can barely think. So please don't apologize we all get busy. Especially summer.

Offline TheSilkRoadie

• View Profile
    • The Silk Roadie
« Reply #12639 on: July 28, 2017, 03:21:41 AM »
I am SO excited! We bought a house a couple of months ago and have been working hard to get it renovated. When we first found it I was so thrilled that it has a huge detached workshop/studio with all of the shelves, benches and desks left behind. No tools, alas.
But then we went exploring around town a little and discovered !!! an artists crafting co-op!!! Small membership fee, open 24/7 with tool shops. Wood, metal, ceramics and porcelain, electronics, robotics, 3D printers and more that I didn't get to look at. They will even train you to use all of it!
I can't wait!
Storm

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”  Albert Einstein

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12640 on: July 28, 2017, 07:05:18 AM »
Congrats Storm, sounds great!!

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #12641 on: July 28, 2017, 08:47:08 AM »
That sounds wonderful!  What a treasure to have nearby!

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #12642 on: July 28, 2017, 09:54:42 AM »
Yikes!!!!    Looks   like  a new  candy  store!  Thanks
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline myeuropeantouch

• Art is the most intense mode of individualism.
    • View Profile
    • https://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/Myeuropeantouch
« Reply #12643 on: August 04, 2017, 04:42:48 PM »
 ::) Congrats Storm, Sandi, the deck looks fab...and whatever else goes on here. I have been so busy with my home reno, I can't see straight, 3 bedrooms painted, living room, Dining room, kitchen painted, new back splash on kitchen new sink faucets, in kitchen and both bathrooms, painted my furniture in Antique White, all bright and light now , all the rooms, accent color is mint green, recovered my lamp shades in mint green, spray painted the table lamps mint green, recovered sofa cushions/pillows in mint green, new light colored area rugs,  recovered my pelmets/valances in mint green and ivory, drapery new, curtains new, home sewn, made table runners in a mint green and ivory.....LOL....got the patio rescreened and finally furnished with bright turquoise furniture and some out door curtains flowing int he breeze, got my office and craft room newly arranged with a large white l shaped desk from Craigslist, was voted into President of the HOA here too much work for a volunteer, will be glad when my year is up....
in the meantime, busted out my back window on the van, deductible too high, self-pay, then my garage door opener quit, just for someone to come out and check $145.00 I can get a new one for a bit more, so got a new one, then my only 3-year-old Washer quit, electronic mother board quit, that's 3 and I am really done...now....I am running out of mulah

Been to the dermatologist to have the body mapped out as I had some Melanoma in the mid 90's and he finds one Sceamish Cell Cancer after another, huge spots too, quarter size, Arm, neck, shoulder chest, calf and ...and..and I have a surgery scheduled every two weeks, stitches out and surgery on a new spot....I am so tired of all this, but I guess I should be glad it is NOT melanoma....

As you can see, my life has been super busy, have not even created anything .....and really miss that....

So there is my run down, hope everyone is doing great.... and now I am outta breath....prolly forgot half of what I have been doing in addition....todeloo....

P.S. Oh yah, reached my goal weightloss of 100 lbs and I am happy, have been shopping for some new clothes in sizes I have not worn since my 30's and I am 70....damn I look good and feel so much better....still doing aqua aerobics daily and bought 3 bikini's so there.....have no flap, other then on the arms.....may have to look for a beauty doc and have that taken care off.....expensive...for now I will let it go....I am not that vane , really....

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #12644 on: August 04, 2017, 06:18:11 PM »
Wow, Monika!    Thanks for the newsy update!!!!  So where are the pictures of all of this ivory and mint green?