Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1509872 times)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #12510 on: April 13, 2017, 01:46:44 PM »
We're approved for the farmers market!  That means we'll be there weekly (sometimes just E when I'm face painting) with E's wood stuff, my yarn, my beeswax stuff, and my chicken feathers.  Because why not bring the chicken feathers?  They're humanely gathered, and crafters like 'em.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12511 on: April 13, 2017, 02:20:50 PM »
Congrats! You might be able to take candles and do face painting there too? It depends if the market allow non-farm related crafts, but might be worth asking?

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12512 on: April 13, 2017, 02:29:06 PM »
The beeswax candles are already coming.  I won't be face painting, but I'll be spinning.  :)  Also, they're trying to set us up with electricity so E can bring his lathe and turn pens while we're there.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #12514 on: April 13, 2017, 03:28:20 PM »
Congrats, Larissa!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12515 on: April 13, 2017, 03:30:03 PM »
We tried combining just Reef Botanicals and face painting at a booth once, and even with a friend there to help Eric with the Reef Botanicals, it was a zoo.  It just doesn't work well.  So like this, we both have a demonstration "draw," me with the wheel & E with the lathe, and we can take turns doing our thing and helping customers.  If I've got a line for face painting, I can't stop to help regular customers, which means E couldn't turn.  Plus the kids cover the whole booth, and no one can see wares.  I'm too freakin' popular!  LOL

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12516 on: April 16, 2017, 08:44:14 PM »
I finally edited pictures of some of my dyed fiber and have them posted on my blog if you want to see what I've been doing. Too many to add here :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12517 on: April 17, 2017, 12:14:36 PM »
Oooooooooooooh, I love the pink/purple/blue yarns!  And all those blue & green roving batches... I'm a sucker for blues and greens.

Spent the majority of Saturday face painting at a country club Easter egg hunt & then a birthday party.  And one of the friends I painted with gave me this awesome pin!

Sunday Eric and I split our one remaining personal beehive (we had really heavy losses this year) and then went to visit our charity hives.  Two of the original 5 are alive, so we split one to make three.  And then carding and spinning - I've got blisters!  I even brought my fleece in the car on the way to the hives to card in the car.

Tonight I'm leaving work early because I worked an extra 1.5 hours on Friday, and Eric and I are going to pick up a new nucleus hive to start rebuilding our population.  And more carding/spinning.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12518 on: April 17, 2017, 03:50:04 PM »
Thanks Larissa, I feel like a "mad chemist" every time I start experimenting with different color combinations :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Maybe I'm just a little crazy ;) .

Sorry about your hive losses, it was a crazy warm/cold/warm/cold winter which is hard on nature.

Time to put away all the stuff I hauled to spinning guild today, we experimented with combining some of the different rainbow dyed stuff and came out with some pretty combinations .

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12519 on: April 21, 2017, 11:41:12 AM »
You're a good kind of crazy!

Speaking of which, I'm half anticipating/half dreading this weekend.  Today at work is off to a good start, despite my having been nervous because the boss was away all week and came in today after landing at 1 a.m., so I figured he'd be a mess, but he's in good spirits.

Tonight, I've got to help Eric load his truck, and skein/weigh/measure/price/label some yarns I set last night.  And get my face painting kit, which I refilled and cleaned, back into my car.

Tomorrow, Eric is working our booth from 11-4 at the Earth Fair solo, with his wood items, honey, bee info, my yarn, candles, and stuff.  I was going to do it with him, but the Tribeca Film Festival (a repeat client for 7 years now - DeNiro's company) contacted me Monday night last minute to work two Saturdays.

For the past 6 years, I've face painted at just one of their Film Festival events - the Family Street Fair, which is the last day of the festival (and would have been next Saturday) from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.  I found out a while back that the new sponsors canceled the street fair this year, and was actually pretty depressed about losing the gig, but I appeased myself with thoughts of this weekend's events and got myself an afternoon gig next Saturday at a birthday party.

Well, Monday night I get the email asking me to face paint this Saturday from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.  Sports faces, because we'll be at an ESPN event.  Oh, and next Saturday can I do henna from 9-1, because they're showing Aladdin and want the Middle Eastern theme.  Oh, and by the way, can I find three additional artists for each of those days to work with me?  Yikes!  So I spent a good portion of this week scrambling to find face painters and henna artists who weren't booked, are in the area, and were willing to work a reduced rate because I give Tribeca a big break for being repeat business and a 501(c)(3).  Would you believe I've actually lined up ALL the artists?  I now look like a rock star, which is pretty awesome.  And I'm happy that I've gotten employment for these other artists too.

But so the weekend now consists of:  Saturday, me leaving the house by 7:30 a.m. to paint 9-1, Eric going to the Earth Fair 11-4.  Me dashing out at 1, trying to head to the Earth Fair to see if I can help Eric for the last hour or two, and packing up the booth.  Sunday, a face painting friend getting to my house before 10:30 a.m. so that she, Eric, and I can go meet another face painting friend to work 12-3 p.m. at Taste of Battery Park City in Manhattan.  Two of us face painting, one doing glitter tattoos, and Eric doing balloons. 

So yeah, it'll be fun but insane.  Sunday night I'm just looking forward to sitting with a glass of wine and watching Once Upon a Time.

And probably spinning yarn, because I despise not being productive.  :)

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12520 on: April 21, 2017, 12:34:25 PM »
Have a fun weekend, I'm tired just thinking of what you're going to be doing! But spinning does keep the world going round :laugh:

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #12521 on: April 23, 2017, 04:49:56 PM »
Hello everyone!  It's been a while since I have posted on here but I have been reading.  I have some wonderful news!  I became a grandmother yesterday morning.  My oldest son and his wife had their first child, a daughter.  Her name is Sierra Caitlyn.  Mom and baby are doing great.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #12522 on: April 23, 2017, 07:22:14 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS!

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #12523 on: April 23, 2017, 07:32:53 PM »
Congrats, RiverRockArts :-*

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #12524 on: April 24, 2017, 05:01:42 AM »
Thank you for the congratulations!  Mom and baby will be coming home today.  I'm sure mom will be happy to be out of the hospital and back in her own home.