Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1504995 times)

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #12345 on: December 29, 2016, 01:48:22 PM »
I do like the consistency of the acid dyes, but natural dyes tend to always go with each other without clashing. I knit a shawl this fall from 20yd lengths of yarn of all the different colors that we dyed on our natural dye day at spinning guild, Still have to get pictures of it for my blog.
Today I'm cutting net for my winter crochetting of scrubbies, need to do more than I managed last year since I nearly ran out at the last shows. And the cats are allowing me to do it!

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12346 on: December 30, 2016, 08:04:43 AM »
New Years is almost here, been enjoying a week off and spending time with family and friends. A much needed break. Hope all is well.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12348 on: January 03, 2017, 02:53:11 AM »
Happy new year, and good to see you!

I had the best weekend.  Went to two New Year's Eve parties - "English New Years" from 5-9 because they're 5 hours ahead in Britain, and then a regular party we usually attend with good friends.  And then on Sunday we went to a New Year's Day open house at our bee supply shop.  We love them there, and that was a blast too.

After that, I got to spin two alpaca batts - a white and a colorful one, and then today I span another one that's dark green and navy blue.  Doing 3 in a row like that, I was able to see improvement in size consistency from one to the next, which makes me feel great.

Next up is the sunburst wool I bought from Bev here at HAF, as well as setting the yarns I've spun so far.  It's about time I make them actually usable!

Going in to work a bit early tomorrow, and leaving a bit early because of papers that are due to the court.  Going in early after a weekend where my days and nights got kind of turned around sucks, but it'll be nice to get our earlier.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12349 on: January 03, 2017, 01:49:23 PM »
Halloo!

Work today, grooming buns and spinning tonight.  After doing three batts of alpaca in a row, and seeing the insanely fast progress in consistency from the first to the third (I need to get photos), I'm excited to see how it is going back to wool, which is even easier.  More advanced fiber artists, correct me if I'm wrong, but my stuff may be this >< close to salable at this point, I think, which is crazy.  Of course, all the stuff I have right now is for mememememememe to use!  LOL

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12350 on: January 03, 2017, 02:55:25 PM »
Larissa, I've seen yarn for sale that even your picture of your first yarn beats for quality and consistency. Yes I am encouraging competition :laugh: (If it wasn't ready I would have sent a private message ;) )

We had a quiet New Years Eve. In the morning mail I received a gift book from a friend and had to finish it before the new year! Yesterday I posted on my blog about it!

Now it's back to increasing inventory and booking this year's shows. Happy New Year!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12351 on: January 03, 2017, 03:10:47 PM »
Larissa, I've seen yarn for sale that even your picture of your first yarn beats for quality and consistency. Yes I am encouraging competition :laugh: (If it wasn't ready I would have sent a private message ;) )

LOL, but do people buy it?  My friend (the mom of the family that sold us the buns) told me they were at a fair and some snotty ^%@# picked up some alpaca spun but her daughter Sophia (age 14) and said, "Well, this isn't very even, is it?"  First of all, homespun.  Second, the kid's 14.  Third, I've seen Sophia's work, and it looks this >< close to commercial yarn it's so freakin' even.  So I have no idea what was up that woman's wazoo, but if that's the standard I have to live up to, I'm a little skittish.

This was the alpaca I did last night.  The colors are WAY off (my house sucks the big one for taking photos); it's actually a darker green with navy blue shot through, but you can see the width and consistency.  It's totally unbalanced and needs to be set, but I was insanely happy with this one, even with the few wide spots.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12352 on: January 03, 2017, 03:36:46 PM »
Also, I don't see you as competition.  I see you as a colleague and friend who's leaps and bounds ahead of me!  LOL

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12353 on: January 03, 2017, 03:55:41 PM »
First the answer to "it's not very even" is that it is a unique art yarn spun for a one of a kind effect. If price is in question, mine matches yarn found in the better yarn shops!

This summer I was pleasantly surprised at the number of knitters and crocheters that looked/bought my yarn. It isn't something that sells at every show and you will get some comments that are negative but more that are positive, especially if you are demonstrating the work that goes into it and maybe have something knitted with some to show! And you know from your face painting that a show situation sometimes requires a thick skin and a fixed smile!

Also, I don't see you as competition.  I see you as a colleague and friend who's leaps and bounds ahead of me!  LOL
   Thanks, but with age comes experience....and I'm old ;)

Your alpaca is lovely (I can imagine the color it should be but the color it appears might be pattones new color). Keep spinning. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Dizziness is fun.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12354 on: January 04, 2017, 10:44:00 AM »
Ha, I just looked and you're right - it's "greenery!"

Anyway, here's a slightly truer shot in the light from the window.  Also, the one I did right before the green/navy, which the maker and I are calling "clown nose." 

Today is work (worked 'til 7 yesterday and nearly keeled over from exhaustion and still got in early today).  This afternoon I'm driving the boss to his eye doc appointment, so at least I get some time out of the office.  And then tonight is my face painting guild meeting & the teacher is a friend I haven't seen in a couple years (from New Mexico), so that's pretty awesome.  Then I need to work on blog posts.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12355 on: January 04, 2017, 10:47:46 AM »
Oh, and despite being so tired, I started in on my sunburst last night!  OMG, I'm obsessed with the colors!  I split the roving in half to be able to ply it with itself, but Eric is saying the color is so strong it'll come through no matter what, so maybe I should ply it with something else.  Someone else had suggested plying it with Wash's fleece once I harvest (he's the white angora).  What do you all think?  Ply it with itself, or white angora?

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12356 on: January 04, 2017, 04:10:36 PM »
I have plied it with solid yellow, with hot pink, and back on itself. All with different looks but coordinating with each other. (a way to make a larger project from a smaller amount of hand dyed.) Haven't tried white but it would tone down some of the brightness I think. I think I liked the yellow or itself the best, but colors are almost as subjective as scents (candles) I may have to dye some more of the sunburst.
 Today we're getting lake effect snow, by tomorrow maybe 12+ inches!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12357 on: January 04, 2017, 05:55:36 PM »
Hm.  Maybe I'll do it with itself, or dye the angora yellow!

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12358 on: January 04, 2017, 06:49:53 PM »
I'm also playing with the idea in my mind that a medium to chocolate brown might be interesting to combine it with.
I'm back to spinning tonight, have a blister on my thumb from to much crocheting the net for scrubbies.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12359 on: January 05, 2017, 12:21:38 PM »
I'm so torn, but I'll figure it out, I suppose.  For now, I'll just keep spinning the single (which I wasn't able to do last night because of the guild meeting).  I did start reading one of my dyeing books, so that's cool.

Today is just work and general home, so I suppose I'll spin.  :)