Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1501528 times)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #12225 on: October 31, 2016, 01:52:26 PM »
If that wheel is yours, you're definitely hooked  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mine!  Mine, mine mine!  LOL, saw it posted in a fiber FB group yesterday afternoon, and messaged the seller as soon as I did.  It's an Ashford Traditional, with a jumbo flyer & bobbin, plus 3 additional bobbins, plus she gave me a bag of various roving and two spinning books (The Joy of Spinning and one on art yarns).  She was nice enough to meet us halfway-ish, since she's 2 - 2.5 hours out in Connecticut.  Eric and I drove out to meet her and her partner at a diner in Danbury in the pouring, ugly rain, and did the deal in the parking lot, then had dinner the four of us.  We LOVE THEM!  The woman who was selling it is 75 and an avid weaver, tried spinning, decided she sucks at it, and they're trying to downsize... they want to get a camper and travel.  So she sold it all to me for $300!

Unfortunately, I don't get to try it 'til Tuesday night, and that's assuming I can figure out how to actually get the yarn loaded up to start it!  LOL  If not, my friends/mentors/raisers of the buns we got are willing to come over & help me out.  :)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12226 on: October 31, 2016, 01:55:57 PM »
Well, OK then.  The gig for tonight canceled (I'm so sad, both because it was going to be an awesomely fun Halloween gig AND because I'm out the $240 it was going to pay), so I guess I get to try & figure out the wheel tonight!

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12227 on: October 31, 2016, 08:11:06 PM »
Larissa, to start your yarn; It looks like your bobbin has the little loop of thread on it?  take about a 12 inch piece of commercial knitting worsted yarn and tie one end to the loop, thread the yarn over a hook and out through the orifice. fringe the plys of this yarn, overlap it with a little of your pre-drafted roving, hold the two together until the twist starts into it when you start treadling, The wheel should be turning to the right and treadle as slowly as you can and still keep it going in the same direction :laugh: How fast the yarn feeds in will be somewhat dependent on your tension looser tension =more twist, tighter tension feeds in faster! I'm sure you've caught on by now.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12228 on: November 01, 2016, 03:23:39 PM »
Thanks!  There's actually no starter thread on the bobbin, and the gig for last night ended up being on (but from 11 p.m. to 1 a.m.; I got home just before 2), so I haven't tried it yet.  Tonight's the night!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12229 on: November 02, 2016, 01:14:49 PM »
So a Youtube video from a Scottish woman with the best voice ever and lots of pauses and rewinds later, and some reading on how to tighten the drive band, I got the wheel prepped and ready to go.  Tried a bit of spinning, but kept pulling the drafted roving right off the starter yarn.  I was too tired to work hard enough on getting the swing of it, so I'll try again tonight or tomorrow.

First, though, I've got to get through the workday and through the face painting guild meeting tonight.

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
« Reply #12230 on: November 03, 2016, 11:42:31 AM »
Well, my Mom and I had a little excitement yesterday.  We were on our way to drop-off a rental car and pick up our own car which we'd had in getting serviced and what should we very nearly road-kill?................................................................................... a bald eagle that decided to fly out right in front of us to get at another road-kill.  We just barely missed hitting it!  Lol, that would have been interesting to try and explain to the car dealership.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12231 on: November 07, 2016, 08:22:16 AM »
Here's the shed progress. Still have to finish door, cedar side the rest, build a ramp, and seal the siding. Hoping to get done before it gets too cold.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #12232 on: November 07, 2016, 10:00:22 AM »
Looks great!  Looks like a cabin I lived in a long time ago! :)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12233 on: November 07, 2016, 10:38:47 AM »
Narrina, I'm so glad you missed that eagle!  He was a heck of a risk taker, huh?

Andrew, love the shed!  Beautiful work.

On Saturday I went to my friends' house - the ones with the angoras - and they showed me how to use my wheel properly.  I made yarn!  Then I finished the other half of the cheviot I had on my spindle, so now I just need to ply them.  :)  "Just."  Like I know what I'm doing!  LOL

Today I'm at work, then I want to pop by the mall and see if NY & Co makes my jeans anymore.  If not, I have to find new jeans, which is always horrible.  But I need jeans; I'm down to two viable pairs.  I fell on Saturday and in the process of bashing my left knee and spraining my right foot/ankle, I managed to also put a hole in the knee of my jeans.  I feel like a 7-year-old.

Anyway, after that, I have to go feed my friends' cat.  They're away in Virginia.  And then come home and paint ornaments for Eric.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12234 on: November 07, 2016, 04:43:59 PM »
Nice shed Andrew.

Larissa- great yarn, don't forget to set it after plying.

Son and I went to a first year fiber show this week-end, in a museum in port Sanillac. It was well organized and we had beautiful weather and a good turn-out of shoppers. We were placed next to friends from another fiber festival we do, so had a good time visiting during slower times :) We already signed up for next year!

Now we have time to work on custom orders as we prep for winter and start to organize inventory for next year.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12235 on: November 08, 2016, 01:24:23 PM »
LOL, Bev, all the things I don't know could fill a library!  So now I looked up setting yarn... I do that after I ply it, yes?

Meanwhile, last night I got together my first email on Constant Contact (I just signed up) for my face painting business and set it to send this morning... it's seeing success already!  Love it!

And I helped Eric set up his new website.  Check it out at www.bladesandboard.com.

This morning, I voted.  Today I work.  Tonight, I go to NY & Co. to see if they still make my jeans, and Michael's for a small scissor to trim the buns when they get matted.  Then I'm gonna theoretically paint ornaments.  And hopefully Eric will agree that we can watch anything BUT the election results.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12236 on: November 08, 2016, 02:05:40 PM »
Yes Larissa, after you ply the yarn, wind it off the the spool into a skein (a nitty-noddy comes in handy and I'm sure E can make you one :) We don't set linen but the protein fibers do need to be set (it serves the same purpose as blocking a sweater when knitting) If you haven't found directions let me know.

I'm plying the singles I spun at the last show today but need to take a break to go vote. It will be a relief to not have all the phone calls and negative ads to listen too!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12237 on: November 08, 2016, 03:28:10 PM »
Yeah, assuming nobody demands a recount, I'm looking forward to tomorrow and putting this election behind me.  I'm at a point where I don't even care who's president; I'm just looking to get our local Congressman outta there and put the new guy in.

Thanks for the tips on making yarn!  Eric is so impressed with me.  ;)

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12238 on: November 09, 2016, 08:28:40 AM »
It's been swell guys. I cleared out my shop and have decided to take a break. No more online selling for me.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12239 on: November 09, 2016, 09:47:19 AM »
Sorry to see a good creative person leave. Hope you continue making things even if not for on-line sales.