Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1796855 times)

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #12060 on: July 15, 2016, 10:46:18 PM »
Trying to recut a Mexican fire opal that a friend chipped while pushing a bezel against a corner of the stone.  Beautiful serpent coiled around three opal stones, made with 22 kt gold.  Hope I can do it, she really damaged the stone.  Also cutting another opal and a turquoise for the same lady, replacing two lost stones in rings for another customer, custom cutting to fit the missing bezel setting.  That and taking care of grandchildren for the next couple weeks, their mother is going in for surgery to remove her cancerous uterus.  Everyone have a good rest of the summer, and if you know the rain gods well, please have them send some to the upstate of South Carolina, we are in a severe drought.

John
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #12061 on: July 16, 2016, 09:57:07 AM »
Prayers for you,
 the grand people  and their mother....
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #12062 on: July 26, 2016, 06:40:01 AM »
Hi everyone.  Yeah, it's been a long time!!!  I briefly scanned the past few pages............
Ya know, I moved to Colorado Springs to help out with my wonderful grandchildren, and that is exactly what I've been doing!! The past few months have been pretty hectic.  Once school is out, Kai (now 16) is here until school starts back up again.  I've had Evie (now 6) pretty much 5 - 6 days a week for the pat 3 months, and some of those are 12 hour days!!
For those of you that remember, Evie developed leukemia 2 years ago.  I'm so extremely happy to report that she has 1 month of chemo left!! Yay!!   The crappy stuff has been in remission for some time.  YAY!!!! Her immune system is down, but they expect that, and it should get better over time after she is done with the chemo.

Me, I'm hanging in there!! Nothing too major going on, except extreme lower back pain, going to Dr today to hopefully get referrals for Physical therapy, a cortisone epidural ( hate those), and an MRI.

I've been thinking of getting back into working on getting things sold here, and just as I'm trying to work things out for that, my laptop craps out on me!!!  I do have a desktop. but Kai pretty much hogs that!! Kicking him off a few hours a day is an option, but if Evie is here, it's not a great one!   I have a very small apartment!

Monika, my dear I  hope you are doing good after your surgery.  Take good care of you!

Larissa, sounds like you are as busy as ever!!  I highly recommend Physical/occupational therapy, hot tubs, warm pools for the arthritis.  Blueberries, and other anti-inflammatory foods, also find out the inflammatory foods. When I was in my 20's I went to a Y in Tacoma Wa, that had partnered with the Arthritis Foundation and put in a 12 x 12 therapy pool.  The class I attended was right after the children's class,  it frequently brought tears to my eyes watching those young kids coming out of the therapy pool area.  Arthritis knows no age limits!!  I was in my early 20's when it started getting some of my joints.
Laurie0311, I was going to take a look at you shop..........can you put a link to it in your signature?? there is a way to do that on here.

Andrew & Kimberly, I know you two are busy!! Love you guys!

I have got to get some more sleep before it's time to get up!! I'll be back.....may be a day or 2, but I'll be around!! :)
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #12063 on: July 26, 2016, 10:38:09 AM »
KRIS  !!!!!!    ((((((Hugs))))))?

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #12064 on: July 27, 2016, 03:10:29 PM »
((((Hugs))))  back Monika!

So, I have a question.  I want to start adding items to my reflections shop, but it's been so long that I've put anything there & some of the items have been there since 2010.  I'm kind of thinking of deleting everything that's in there & starting over.  Any suggestions???
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #12065 on: July 27, 2016, 05:22:05 PM »

So, I have a question.  I want to start adding items to my reflections shop, but it's been so long that I've put anything there & some of the items have been there since 2010.  I'm kind of thinking of deleting everything that's in there & starting over.  Any suggestions???

Not a bad idea, Kris, to rework/rephotograph.  You will find yourself updating descriptions too.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #12066 on: July 28, 2016, 04:34:27 AM »

I think thats a good idea, too, re-working and maybe new pics....once I am feeling better, I will do the same thing. I even reworked purposes of some of my items. It did not seel in one form, re-invent.....LOL

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12067 on: July 28, 2016, 10:31:44 AM »
Hey, all,

Thanks for the info & suggestions, Kris!  And sorry you've been dealing with arthritis so long; that sucks.  I'm not ready to accept a diagnosis of "just suck it up" yet, so I've actually got an appointment on the 17th with a hand surgeon for a second opinion.  I've been given a lead on something else it could be (that's treatable!) if not carpal tunnel.  So I want more info from someone who's not quite so dismissive-seeming as the orthopedist I saw.

Been busy as ever, obviously.  We really need to extract the honey we've pulled (and are still hoping for more to come).

Eric's arm is healing slowly, and he had some custom order cutting boards that he HAD to get going on, so I've been doing the heavy lifting while he does the precision work.

My best friend and his wife and kids were here last week, so I took two days off work to hang out with them (they live in Colorado and I hadn't seen them since the wedding in 2009, and had never met the kids - ages 11 & 8 - at all!).  Had an amazing time, and the only part that sucked was that they had to go home.

Today I'm at work, and nothing planned for tonight that I know of.  It's my birthday today, but I told E all I want is to take a weekend day and have coffee by the pond in the morning, then take the dogs to this 5 acre dog park (with a stream and agility course!) that's about 45 minutes away.  We've never been there for lack of time, and damnit, I want to take the time and bring the boys!  And he's at the office today signing a new client, so I know he's not cooking dinner.  We both almost forgot it was my bday today!  LOL  Must be senility.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #12068 on: July 28, 2016, 12:00:25 PM »
Happy birthday, Larissa!

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #12069 on: July 30, 2016, 04:38:23 PM »
Happy Birthday Larissa.....wishing you well....

Have been slowly loading my shop back up, lots of new stuff some older.....I am getting there.

Feel much better, will do even better once I can attend my Water Aerobics again. Lost 24 lbs and am going in that direction, goal is a 100....
Hope all have a fabulous weekend..... :D

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12070 on: August 01, 2016, 10:00:54 PM »
just a brief note on the goings on here in the deep south.

1.  youngest child (29 yo) had her cancerous uterus removed last week.  I have been helping at her house, cleaning, cooking, etc.  kept her oldest (7 yo) at my house at the same time (grandma enjoyed having him with us for two weeks).

2.  replaced water pump in my truck (8 hours of labor in my driveway with a mechanic friend) which was very complicated as the fan assembly is attached to the pump, have to remove radiator, shroud, belt, then can access pump, but the fan/clutch assembly has to be removed from the old pump to be attached to the new pump; three hours to get that nut to release (PB Penetrating Oil loosened it). 

3.  finally finished recutting a mexican red opal for a friend in NC (Saul Bell Award Finalist last year) which chipped while she was setting it in a new 22 kt gold piece that has two other beautiful opals already in the finished metal snake.  Hopefully, the new cut will fit the  already placed bezel.

4.  repaired eight bracelets for my wife.

Hope to finish cutting two more stones (opal and turquoise) for the same lady in NC, two rings to repair with the cutting and setting of custom stones for another lady.  I wish all of the folk here continued good wishes.

John
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #12071 on: August 01, 2016, 10:54:36 PM »
John, hope your daughter is doing good.  Good thing you guys are close by and can help out.
Replacing the water pump sounds fun!! :-X

Larissa, a belated Happy Birthday!! I have to ask since I haven't been around for  the history on your wrist, have you done physical/or occupational therapy??  Just "sucking it up" should not be an option for something like this!!

Monika, thought I saw some things that looked like yours on the front page of items.  Glad you are feeling better, and hopefully will continue to do so.

I have an idea for something completely new for me, want to try them out first and see how they hold up before I let the secret out, or list them.  Looked at laptops at my local pawn shop - looking at 250.00, but that's
better than a brand new one.  May take me a couple of months to finally get it, thankfully they have lay-a-way!

Have a good one everyone!
Kris 

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #12072 on: August 01, 2016, 10:58:24 PM »
Happy Birthday a bit late  Larissa!    Joe and I  forget birthdays all the time.....   among other things.   
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #12073 on: August 01, 2016, 11:06:19 PM »
Gemlover....  I've been away  for a day or two.....   just read  about your daughter's surgery.  I hope  everything  continues to go well for her.   I tell  my boys  all the time  that I don't  care if they  get to be   a hundred.  If one of them  gets in a jam  or some sort of difficulty  he  gets to be a three year old again.  I'm  sure you feel the same way about her.    That is your infant in that hospital bed.  I'll keep you  and yours in my prayers.
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #12074 on: August 02, 2016, 04:53:02 AM »
just a brief note on the goings on here in the deep south.

1.  youngest child (29 yo) had her cancerous uterus removed last week.  I have been helping at her house, cleaning, cooking, etc.  kept her oldest (7 yo) at my house at the same time (grandma enjoyed having him with us for two weeks).

2.  replaced water pump in my truck (8 hours of labor in my driveway with a mechanic friend) which was very complicated as the fan assembly is attached to the pump, have to remove radiator, shroud, belt, then can access pump, but the fan/clutch assembly has to be removed from the old pump to be attached to the new pump; three hours to get that nut to release (PB Penetrating Oil loosened it). 

3.  finally finished recutting a mexican red opal for a friend in NC (Saul Bell Award Finalist last year) which chipped while she was setting it in a new 22 kt gold piece that has two other beautiful opals already in the finished metal snake.  Hopefully, the new cut will fit the  already placed bezel.

4.  repaired eight bracelets for my wife.

Hope to finish cutting two more stones (opal and turquoise) for the same lady in NC, two rings to repair with the cutting and setting of custom stones for another lady.  I wish all of the folk here continued good wishes.

John

John, glad that everything went well with your daughter, as for the rest......(groan)....... :D ;)
But I am happy that you could work some on your favorite Hobby?
Monika