Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1504974 times)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #12015 on: June 09, 2016, 10:08:30 AM »
I can get by with a lot less sleep than most people, but it's been extreme this week.  I finished that drawing, but now that my pad is out, I started on another coloring page last night, this time a poison dart frog.  This time, at about 1 a.m. I forced myself to put it down and go to sleep.  It wasn't easy; I started at it for a while, really wanting to keep going.  I finally convinced myself that if I didn't quit, I'd mess it up.

So this morning, while making my 2nd cup of coffee for the day at my office... I forgot to put the cup in the coffee maker.  Whoops!

But thankfully, I work 10-6, so I need to leave the house somewhere around 9:20/9:25.  My alarm goes off at 7:30, and I get up for real sometime between 7:30 and 8.  Depends on if Eric is working from home and can take care of all the animals... he did today.

Today is work & housework tonight.  Boss is in court this morning at a mediation on a really tough case, so that could last 5 minutes if they give up fast, or 5 hours if they're forced to really hash it out.

Thanks for the comments on the hornet!  I'm sure she's got a name, since she's my version of an existing school mascot, but I don't know what it is.

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #12016 on: June 13, 2016, 09:23:52 AM »
Where is everybody?    It's been a few days since I saw a new post.
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12018 on: June 15, 2016, 10:58:17 AM »
I've been reading too! Nice kitchen Andrew! Good luck on your show Sandi! And nice hornet Larissa! Also good steady weight loss River Rocks! (I think I found some of those pounds since I've gained a little  :-\

We've been keeping busy doing shows or getting ready for the next one. I've been spinning, organizing candles, running errands (took some candles to a gallery, Dr check-up etc.) and of course laundry and gardening! Summer never has enough hours in a day to get everything done, and unlike some I need a little more sleep.

Glad everyone else's days are filled with interesting things too.
Oh, and Larrissa, I was telling a bee-keeper that had an exhibition hive at the last show about your we bee-lieve project, he sounded interested, maybe a branch in Michigan?

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12019 on: June 15, 2016, 11:05:45 AM »
I've been reading, but really, really busy.  Made more candles, but listing them just increases the numbers in my already-existing listings, doesn't create new ones in the shop.  Drew a new coloring page, but I need to get the last photo of it to list it.  Eric's got 3 custom orders already on his cutting boards; he finished one and is working on the other two - one order just happened last night & it's for Father's Day, so it's crazy!

I've been face painting EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND this month, most often both days, plus a couple of Friday nights, including this Friday (before then going to the monthly bee meeting too!).

The bees have been doing really well.

We Bee-lieve has also been doing really well, and we've been doing bee talks for various kids and scout groups.

Bev, we definitely intend to expand once we're bigger in NJ.  We want to be like the ACS of bee/kid charities.  Hope he takes a look at our site & FB page now, though!  We're happy to have the support!

Last night I tried my first beeswax-based lotion bar, and I love it, so that'll be listed in the not too distant future.  I need to get tins to house them.

Today is work, more candles, maybe lotion bars, and baking caramel shortbread bars for tomorrow night's book club.  I wonder if Trader Joe's has condensed milk; it's the only ingredient I don't already have.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12020 on: June 15, 2016, 02:44:42 PM »
Larissa, I told him the name to look for on-line and gave him my card if he had trouble finding it. He seems to be good with the education part and his wife makes bees wax products, even a cool luminaire (sp?) [globe shaped thin wax to burn a tea light in]

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #12021 on: June 15, 2016, 06:48:00 PM »
Thank you MulchandMore!  I have gained some back and then lost again, so it's a net loss of 13.4 pounds so far.  I'm going to keep at it until lost at least most of the weight if not all.  It gets easier the longer you do it.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #12022 on: June 20, 2016, 01:12:06 PM »
Man I'm tired...  My walking app tells me that Thursday/Friday/Saturday, I walked just over 15 miles in the 31 hours I put in over the 3 days.  But the entire event (Frontier Folk Festival) was a success and my sales were okay.  What was so much fun for me during this event was that I was one of the demonstrating artists.  So in addition to my things, my quilt frame with a quilt-in-progress went with me.  When I wasn't running all over the place being the show organizer (which was one of my hats for this one), I got to sit and quilt.  The plan was that visitors to the event could sit and quilt with me, just like the old days.  Over the two days, about six different people did sit and quilt with me - they were all women who wanted to learn to quilt, so basically, I was giving private lessons.  I simply has a BLAST doing it!  One lady was so enthusiastic...  her husband got antsy with their two boys and encouraged her to leave.  She told him you take the boys and go do something - I've learned three new skills in the short time I've been sitting here!  She spent the better part of an hour with me.  She has my card and we are arranging paid-private lessons...

One group of 5 people (a gentleman and four ladies) were in my shop (which was located in an actual cabin built in 1851), and all of them were deaf.  The gentleman was able to read lips.  One of the ladies was a quilter, and she wanted to buy my quilt frame!  NOT HAPPENING as it was built for me by my wonderful husband.  Negotiations are now ongoing between her and Paul for him to build her one.  You just never know what a show will bring you.

I have 10 days to recover before we go to Brian Head for a 4-day show next Thursday.  We love it up there (elevation 9800 feet).  The weather is lovely and the scenery divine.  Plus, we get to sit and rest and chit-chat with visitors...  we do like "just" being artists.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12023 on: June 20, 2016, 02:46:22 PM »
Sandi, so glad your show went well. I love demonstrating my spinning at shows and always pass out a card if someone is interested in learning more. I'm lost the few times I haven't been able to use my wheel (because of space or weather) I wish I could have quilted with you!

Our sales were so/so, it was hot! and husband had fun at "his show" that he left the three-day show to do on Sat. Even though I don't really like the work involved in just setting up for one day we might all try that show next year!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12024 on: June 21, 2016, 11:17:42 AM »
Man, every time I want to post, I log in, click on "reply," and then feel too tired to actually say anything.  I'm beat!

Very glad your show went well, Sandi, and love that Paul might have an order out of it.

My weekend was insanity - face painting at a school party Friday night that was supposed to be an hour & ended up being an hour and a half even though I was doing fast faces, moving like lightning, AND finally cut off the line and turned people away.  They loved me anyway and are hiring me back next year for the full party instead of one hour; they had no idea what it'd be like.  LOL

Then Saturday after my oil change, we got a bunch of stuff down around the house before I went face painting at two different birthday parties - one at a preschool that was AWESOME.  It was outside and sweltering, but they had all sorts of animals and crafts and music and games... I kind of want to have my birthday there!  The other was at a pool party and I did the same twins' birthday last year, so they insisted on having me back.  Always a cool thing.

Sunday was no face painting, but we inspected ALL 25 hives - our 20 & the charity's 5.  It was exhausting, but exhilarating to get them all done.  Found 5 queenless hives; one with queen cells, one with a huge population that we gave a frame of eggs to make their queen, three I'm buying queens for tomorrow.  Sigh.

Eric's been doing cutting boards like there's no tomorrow.  He had 4 custom orders for Father's Day to get done between Thursday/Friday and Saturday!  One is posted on his site www.bladesandboard.com.  He also got business cards for the boards, which is key since when I was getting an oil change Saturday morning, I was talking to a guy in the waiting area who asked for a card and I didn't have any yet.

We've been scheduling more bee talks too, and getting donations, which is great.

Yesterday was work & the Environmental Commission meeting - today is work and listing stuff on Letgo & the various FB yard sale groups.  We've started actively saving for a house, so we want to sell crap we don't want or need, partially to build a house fund, and partially so we don't have to move it!  I have a lot of pictures and plates and things to take photos of.

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #12025 on: June 21, 2016, 08:58:53 PM »
Larissa...   as an old person  who has  been  where you are  I suggest you  check  out a big fat historical  novel from  the library,   lie down   and read yourself  to sleep  and call in the next day for a mental health day....  then lie on the couch and read all day.
My  books of choice would be Taylor Caldwell  or John Jakes. .....   not at all  hard to read  and very  entertaining.   Once you lose all that  sleep  you  can't get it back  and  our bodies need a certain amount of it.
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12026 on: June 21, 2016, 09:04:23 PM »
Larissa...   as an old person  who has  been  where you are  I suggest you  check  out a big fat historical  novel from  the library,   lie down   and read yourself  to sleep  and call in the next day for a mental health day....  then lie on the couch and read all day.
My  books of choice would be Taylor Caldwell  or John Jakes. .....   not at all  hard to read  and very  entertaining.   Once you lose all that  sleep  you  can't get it back  and  our bodies need a certain amount of it.

Not historical fiction (and at some point I'll check out the books you listed) but right now I'm in the middle of rereading my favorite book of all time: Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson.   Will that do?

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #12027 on: June 21, 2016, 09:17:56 PM »
Yes indeedy!!!   I love it!
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12028 on: June 21, 2016, 11:04:59 PM »
That John Jakes series was great! Haven't had a lot of time for reading lately either  :(

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #12029 on: June 22, 2016, 08:20:31 AM »
You all make me dizzy.... with all that you do :D

My life has been pretty much up side down, turned over and I do not know where to start.....Let's just say 2015 and now 2016 have not been good health wise.

Just had knee surgery under my belt, and am now scheduled for surgery on my stomach.....will be done thru 5 smal incisions but none the less, not looking forward to it. So it will be a while until everything is back to normal in this neck of the woods. Keep busy, I can't at the moment....and eventually, maybe down the road will open my shop again, but so far I have closed everything.....and yes, I am lurking ;D :P

Have a wonderful day, don't do anything I would not do.... :P ;)