Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1504463 times)

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #11985 on: May 27, 2016, 07:02:11 AM »
I'm still doing the juice fast and so far have lost six pounds in six days.  I hope the trend keeps going.  I have gotten into a routine with it now and will continue until next Saturday. 

Today is my daughter's birthday.  It's hard to believe she is 32 now.  It seems like just yesterday that she and my sons were all kids.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11986 on: May 27, 2016, 11:20:49 AM »
Every single day this week has felt like Friday, which ends up really disappointing.  Sigh.

Nothing big today.  In the office 'til 6, and then more candles tonight.  I'm sure E is working on more cutting boards.  He's got one almost ready to sand down and wax, and another he needs to find his orbital sander for.

I've been a candlemaking fiend.  I have to say, while I loved making paraffin candles too, there's something to be said for not having to play with wax mixes and colors and scents and second pours and things and just being able to knock out unadulterated beeswax candles, which are healthier to burn anyway.  Love 'em!  Now we just need more molds so we can have a bigger variety than three designs.  :)

Are you getting your beeswax from your bees?

Some of it.  We only extracted honey from a couple hives last summer, and the only wax we take from them is the cappings over the honey, so we didn't get a ton.  We bought a bunch from a fellow beekeeper, though, so we have that to use too.

Happy birthday to your daughter!

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #11987 on: May 27, 2016, 11:58:48 AM »
Every single day this week has felt like Friday, which ends up really disappointing.  Sigh.

Nothing big today.  In the office 'til 6, and then more candles tonight.  I'm sure E is working on more cutting boards.  He's got one almost ready to sand down and wax, and another he needs to find his orbital sander for.

I've been a candlemaking fiend.  I have to say, while I loved making paraffin candles too, there's something to be said for not having to play with wax mixes and colors and scents and second pours and things and just being able to knock out unadulterated beeswax candles, which are healthier to burn anyway.  Love 'em!  Now we just need more molds so we can have a bigger variety than three designs.  :)

Some of it.  We only extracted honey from a couple hives last summer, and the only wax we take from them is the cappings over the honey, so we didn't get a ton.  We bought a bunch from a fellow beekeeper, though, so we have that to use too.

Thank you for the birthday wishes for my daughter! 

It's good you have a local supply of beeswax.  Maybe eventually your bees will produce enough for you to tus.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11988 on: May 27, 2016, 01:35:42 PM »

Thank you for the birthday wishes for my daughter! 

It's good you have a local supply of beeswax.  Maybe eventually your bees will produce enough for you to tus.

Oh, definitely!  As we get honey off more & more hives, we'll be getting more and more beeswax cappings to use.  Last year was just the first harvest, and only off 1.5 hives.

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11989 on: May 28, 2016, 01:00:12 PM »
my 2001 dodge ram 1500 has 252000 miles and is running fine.

john
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11990 on: May 28, 2016, 01:37:09 PM »
That is WONDERFUL to hear, John!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11991 on: May 31, 2016, 12:18:24 AM »
Nice, John!  I really think American trucks are just made the best.  I've met so many people with ancient ones still running. 

I hope everyone had a terrific holiday weekend, despite the solemn roots of the day.  I did... Eric and I spent Saturday going to the We Bee-lieve hives, to find out they ALL needed second levels and more food and were doing amazingly well.

Sunday we inspected our personal hives, most of which are doing well. Honey production is pretty good too.  Five of the 20 hives were queenless, so we're buying 3 queens this week.  The other two hives had big enough populations that we gave them eggs from another hive to hopefully make queens.  2 or 3 hives had made their own new queens, which was wonderful to see.

Then I painted faces for an hour at a baptism party, and had a great, easygoing time.

Then we FINALLY moved two of our hives that needed moving.

Today (Monday), we planted our veggies (tomatoes, peppers, okra, rosemary, and beans) and finally got flowers into the window box. 

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11992 on: May 31, 2016, 10:18:48 AM »
Good morning!  Work today, and happily a very good friend of mine and her brother are coming in today to meet with one of the attorneys here (he's doing their closing on their parents' house, which they're selling as part of the estate), so I get to see them.

After work, I've got to scootch over to a honey farm to pick up 3 new queens for 3 of our queenless hives to get them going again.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #11993 on: May 31, 2016, 11:13:50 AM »
We enjoyed our show this week, even with attendance (and sales) being down. Had fun seeing vendor friends and met a few new ones. Pick-up was wet (it rained for a few minutes right after closing and each night so table cloths and tent sides were wet) but yesterday was a beautiful windy day to get everything dried on the line and repacked for next time. ;)

The garden seeds are starting to sprout (peas, beans, radishes, carrots, beets, chard and summer squash are all peeking their little heads up  :laugh: . Now to get the rest in and try to keep the weeds from growing faster than the plants!

Son is having good luck with his copper bracelets that he has started tooling. I need to get some close-up pictures of them and write a blog post later today. yay for the ever-growing to-do list. :-\

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11994 on: June 02, 2016, 10:32:53 AM »
I'm glad I totally forgot about this because I'd have been going nuts all day yesterday waiting to hear about it... when Eric and I did our hive inspections of the We Bee-lieve hives in Passaic on Saturday, the developer who owns the former factory and sponsored us with the initial investment (Jordan) was there. He told us that he'd just gotten confirmation of a tour set up with a bunch of bigwigs in the city to come through and see what he's doing there and what his plans are - he wants to make it a whole community space, with gardens and an event stage, food kiosks, art studios, etc.

So I couldn't go because of stupid work, but Eric went.  I totally forgot about the whole thing, even when Eric gchatted me yesterday, "Jordan wants to buy us business cards, shirts, and insurance. I have to get the artwork done for the cards and such."

Didn't remember he was even in Passaic or that this event was happening until he gchatted me again later with, "The mayor is fascinated and the Board of Ed chair is interested."

So of course on a day when I was dying to talk to E, we end up with something that MUST get out of the office and I'm here 'til 9:30 p.m. Of course. Sigh.

Finally got all the details while driving home last night, though. There were like 25 people there, and Eric got there while they were still walking the neighborhood. Since it wasn't a full presentation, he just put down the tailgate on his truck and set up the observation hive, some of our hive tools and smoker, his jacket & veil, and two of the five framed educational posters we have. Among them were the mayor of Passaic, a rep from the Board of Ed, a rep for some green space committee, someone from the FDA, and a 4H rep.

He got to do just a quick 10-minute talk, more about our program than bees themselves, though he got some good questions and everyone was interested. The mayor and Board of Ed rep love the idea of us getting teaching hives into Passaic and helping them work out a curriculum for the kids. Eric even gave an example of craft projects like seed bombs for the youngest tier of kids, and the mayor had never heard of them, but when E explained, he LOVED the idea of turning scruffy lots into wildlflower patches. God knows, Passaic has a lot of scruffy, empty lots. It used to be such a seat of industry and business, with a port right there on the river running through, and now it's a run down, has-been of a city. Revitalizing downtown and turning the old factory (built in the 1920s) into a community gem obviously really appeals to them.

The idea that we could grow We Bee-lieve so quickly and visibly (the mayor of Passaic, a city of almost 100,000, is a little different than the mayor of Franklin Lakes, a borough of under 10,000), AND be in on the ground floor of a huge project like this, and kind of at the center of it, giving these people some part of Jordan's plan to focus on and see firsthand, is amazing. I sound like a big ol' sap, but my heart is kind of bursting out of my chest at the thought.

Today is work, and I have to pick up guinea pig food & cat food, and pop by the cleaners.  And then relax after yesterday's long day and late night (because I got home after 10, I was wide awake until after 3 a.m.!).

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11995 on: June 02, 2016, 12:19:25 PM »
That is just wonderful, Larissa!  Whoo-hooooooo!

Nothing new and different here.  I have been putting in many, MANY hours on the Frontier Folk Festival which is June 16-17.  It's a pioneer-style town festival with live folk/bluegrass/country music, arts/crafts demonstrations (many hands-on), arts/crafts booths, and horseshoe tournament and food!  The layout is done (again) I think, and the brochure is ready to go to the printer (I think).  Now I am just trying to line up a small herd of volunteers!

Stay well and happy everyone!

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11996 on: June 02, 2016, 08:09:34 PM »
That sounds  great,  Sandi!  Where are you?

www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11997 on: June 02, 2016, 08:14:39 PM »
Cedar City Utah

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11998 on: June 06, 2016, 11:15:58 AM »
Happy Monday, peeps!

Had another crazy weekend - left the day job early on Friday to face paint for 3 hours at a local zoo.  Then Saturday painted faces at a fundraiser/bike ride for bone marrow transplants, then headed over to a honey farm to pick up queens, got home, and requeened two hives.  Then ran errands with Eric.

Sunday I painted faces at an autism walk/fundraiser, and had a BLAST despite the occasional torrential downpours that came through, and going home with my entire left half of my shirt, jeans, and boots soaked through.

Ran more errands, and then relaxed while Eric worked on more cutting boards.  He finished one custom order (I'll get photos after work today and he'll be delivering it to his friend/customer tomorrow) and started on another order he's received for a tray for an ottoman.  While the glue on that one was drying, he started another one of his own design.

I love this business for him, it makes him so happy!

Today I'm at the office, and tonight I'll get those photos and make more candles since I took a break from them.  And I've been commissioned to draw a soccer team logo of a hornet kicking a soccer ball, so I'll work on that tonight too.  :)  It's a friend of mine who's asked me to do it, so I told her I wouldn't charge her, but would ask for a donation to We Bee-lieve instead and she's all for it.  Woohoo!

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11999 on: June 06, 2016, 01:13:17 PM »
Sorry I have been so absent lately....  what happens in the last couple of weeks before a show is so amazing...  brochures, flyers, posters, layout, order stuff, security, train volunteers....  you get the idea.  Paul and I took Saturday/Sunday off and spent the days up in the mountains near Yankee Meadows Reservoir.  We were camped in a lovely, quiet spot.  The reservoir is full, but the fish weren't hungry.  We didn't care - just being with each other was perfect!