Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1509613 times)

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #11925 on: April 13, 2016, 09:28:42 AM »
Popping in to say hi! Nice to see you Monika. I'm happy the whole cat situation worked out though it was a hard thing to do. Best for everyone.

Still haven't had much motivation to create anything new. I have taken out a good bit of things from my shop. I will just put it out at our community yard sale and hopefully unload some. I think the universe is telling me to move on to something else or at the very least a different style of jewelry. With our weather getting better I will be more focused on getting the outdoor space in shape, so any big change will not come for some time.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11926 on: April 13, 2016, 09:33:27 AM »
Nice to see you, Monika!  And I agree that sales are tepid at best online.  I'm looking forward tour first in-person show in a couple of weeks.  We had a decent year last year, but only 9% of our total sales were online.  I just think our stuff needs to be seen and touched.

It seems like it may finally be spring here, too, Teresa, although you can never count on it.  It seems we always get snow in May, usually on Mother's Day!

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #11927 on: April 13, 2016, 12:04:04 PM »
Monika, so glad you popped in- I was just thinking how quiet the forum is without your smiling face here. That design job sounds ideal for you :) . Sorry about your cat situation, they can change their characteristics as they age. We did have two for years and they started out keeping their distance, but had gotten friendlier with each other over the years. Then the older one passed and the other one started being a little friendlier with people (he was stand-offish and hated dogs) This winter he passed, and although we miss having a pet, we're not quite ready for another one yet. We are thinking of maybe a dog in the future, something that could travel to the shows with us  :-\

And speaking of on-line sales, I'm glad we do craft shows, our percent (on-line) is just a hair over 1% >:)

Teresa and Sandi- I'm glad to hear that spring may be headed our way :laugh: but I'll believe it when I see green instead of white in our yard!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11928 on: April 13, 2016, 02:28:49 PM »
Hey, all!

Glad to see so many popping in.

Still crazy here; we took inventory of our woodenware for the new hives/splits yesterday, and we're just about set, though we have to make a million foundation frames for them to build the comb.  And we have to build all the boxes and frames for the We Beelieve hives.  It's still up in the air whether the bees will be delivered on schedule (April 20), which is a bit of a PITA because we both need to take the next day off to get everything installed.  If the weather wasn't so crazy, we'd know for sure, but such is life.

And tonight after work we're going to check out a friend's yard to see about putting some of our girls in there.  Hope that works out, because it looks like the hotel location may fall through!  The hotel wants us desperately, and everyone regional to them in this area is furious at corporate, because corporate down south is being the way corporate often is, and dragging their feet.  They sat on the contract for months, and now that we're under the gun for time, they're coming up with all sorts of crazy questions and changes they want.  It's not happening, so we need other space for the bees we ordered.  I tried to explain that I understand and appreciate how they work, but that this is agriculture, and agriculture doesn't work on a corporate schedule.  I was completely ignored.  Ugh.  It's really freakin' frustrating, and makes me all the more glad I've never worked in that sort of environment.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11929 on: April 13, 2016, 02:50:40 PM »
We thought about hives at our house and put it on the back burner for now. Time is the main issue, we have enough balls to juggle right now. I do believe we'll get bees one day, and when that day comes we may have some questions. We know a local guy at our church that has bees and we went to the local bee keepers meeting, so we know where to go when the time is right.
Kimberly is also very allergic to stings, not deadly allergic, but bad enough. So we will have to figure out how to deal with that as well.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11930 on: April 13, 2016, 06:19:22 PM »
So I learned two things on my way home from a Foundation Board Meeting...  Pulling into the garage, I noticed that my tulips are beginning to bloom - WHOO HOOOOOO!  So of course, the National Weather Service has issued a severe weather warning for us - it's supposed to snow starting tomorrow through Saturday. ;D ;D

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11931 on: April 14, 2016, 08:52:04 AM »
OMG, Sandi, we had the same issue!  Things started to bloom and then the temps dropped and we got snow, and the forsythias lasted about a minute before they all drooped.  It's driving me nuts, especially with the bees needing food.  Plus, we got that taste of spring first, and then BAM!  Cold!  It was such a tease.  The warmth is coming back now, though, so that's good.  High 50s/low 60s this week, then Sunday will be in the 70s.

Andrew, I would figure you've got too much on your plate to take on something new right now.  And since you're not married to Eric, you're not falling into that trap anyway!  LOL  I felt like we had too much... and then came the quail.  Because why not?  We do have our first dozen quail eggs, finally, so that's pretty cool.  Once we have a few more, we'll finally eat them.  I'm so looking forward to it.

Meanwhile, last night we scouted our friends' yard to see about placing bees and found the perfect spot for two hives.  Now we've got enough spots to account for all the hives that are no longer going by the hotel.  So it sucks that that fell through, but at least we're not scrambling to place all our bees.

Today is work, and tonight nothing specific.  Tomorrow night is the monthly bee meeting, so that's cool.

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11932 on: April 14, 2016, 08:00:26 PM »
You wouldn't  believe how lovely  my brown  dogwood blossoms are!
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11933 on: April 15, 2016, 02:36:47 PM »
Photos, Marty?  Sounds beautiful.  Our dogwood isn't quite blooming yet, but it's budding.  I'm hoping the cold snaps haven't killed those buds or the ones on the lilac out front.  The bees tend to love both.

So, bee meeting tonight, and then crazy weekend ahead.  Tomorrow morning is the Environmental Commission organized town cleanup day, and I'm overseeing one of the three sites.  Then it's all bees all the time, creating and placing stands, building hive boxes and frames, etc.

Sunday I'm doing henna at a bridal shower, and then face painting at a birthday party.  So I'm maxed out this weekend, for sure.

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11934 on: April 15, 2016, 03:43:23 PM »
The  ones that still have  buds   have turned brown....    Dogwoods don't do well  with cold.
I  like  them better in Autumn.....  The leaves are bright red  with  the little red berries  which  become  blossoms in spring.   Knoxville is the Dogwood City  and we have  a Dogwood  Arts Festival  each  year with crafts,  stage shows and  garden  tours.   
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #11935 on: April 16, 2016, 11:32:31 AM »
Larissa- did you catch it on the news about hotels that are putting bee hives on their roof tops? I think it was Fairmont chain, but can't say for sure, it was mentioned on national news, then the hotels feature "their" honey in drinks and restaurant dishes :laugh:

Still working to learn Windows10 on my new computer, but missing some of the old features (or haven't found them yet?) from my old XP  OS system that I decided needed retiring. Any hints appreciated :-\

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #11936 on: April 16, 2016, 12:20:18 PM »
Monika, so glad you popped in- I was just thinking how quiet the forum is without your smiling face here. That design job sounds ideal for you :) . Sorry about your cat situation, they can change their characteristics as they age. We did have two for years and they started out keeping their distance, but had gotten friendlier with each other over the years. Then the older one passed and the other one started being a little friendlier with people (he was stand-offish and hated dogs) This winter he passed, and although we miss having a pet, we're not quite ready for another one yet. We are thinking of maybe a dog in the future, something that could travel to the shows with us  :-\

Thank you Bev, that was nice of you to say. We have still not played together, "Buffy" and Alex, just short introductions. the first time Alex hissed at him and that poor babe is just barely 3 lbs. the second time Alex just looked at him form a distance, so we have to take it easy. Even though he wants companionship, it is not easy.....we are working on it (smile)

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #11937 on: April 17, 2016, 04:50:42 PM »
Monika, when we brought the second cat home we shut the first one in the basement, that let the second get used to the house. When they started playing with each other under the door, is when we started with supervised play times...we thought the new one might be the bully but it was the other way around :laugh: . I'm sure with patience things will work out for you with them.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #11938 on: April 18, 2016, 05:05:10 AM »
Monika, when we brought the second cat home we shut the first one in the basement, that let the second get used to the house. When they started playing with each other under the door, is when we started with supervised play times...we thought the new one might be the bully but it was the other way around :laugh: . I'm sure with patience things will work out for you with them.

Yes, Bev, they are still separated right now, lil Buffy is in the guest bedroom and I visit and play with him throughout the day. Alex is rooming the house. So far he has only sniffed at the door, but stopped crying longing for the other cat. So he knows, there is somebody in there for him. I ook it upon my self to have lil Buffy in my arm and brought him out for 2 minutes and we had a hissing contest.  ;D ;D  So neither one of them is ready yet. It takes patience and eventually it will be alright. I see him right now sniffing again...go figure....
But I tell you that lil Buffy is a fire cracker, he is not afraid of anything and anyone, and fast he slipped thru my feet out the other day....but I caught him....sheesh...I a to old for that.....

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11939 on: April 18, 2016, 02:02:39 PM »
OMG, that kitten is adorable!!!  I love tiny kitties!  Our two just turned 11 yesterday.  Well, Hunter did.  Catimus is approximately the same age, but since we don't know her birthday, we decided Hunter's birthday would be her honorary birthday too.

Bev, a lot of hotels in NY & NJ are doing bees on the roof too; it's so cool!  There's one in NY that's WAY too tall (they're apparently trying to get into the Guinness Book of World Records for it) so the bees keep swarming.  Most are happy where they are.

We spent the whole weekend doing bee-related things, except Saturday morning when I helped run my town's cleanup day, and a bit of yesterday when I did henna at a bridal shower and face painting at a birthday party.  We're exceptionally thankful for our friend Carol who's becoming a new beekeeper this week but was over all weekend helping us build hive bodies and frames.  Without her, we'd be in trouble.

Today I'm working, mailed the tax checks (ick), and then the Environmental Commission meeting.