Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1617998 times)

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #11880 on: March 11, 2016, 07:49:42 PM »
Congrats John, I'm sure you won't spoil the little one :laugh:

It's been a hectic week here! Last Saturday was the first craft show of the season, a small one but very well run.
Sunday we unloaded, Monday we went and picked up the grid wall and other fixtures I had purchased last week, but didn't have the room to bring them home. (Also our Anniversary-35yrs.) Tues a Drs. check-up and hubby took me out for lunch. Wednesday night was a fiber-shed meeting with planning to organize a local fiber festival for 2017! Thursday baked some cookies and visited with daughter and one of my grandsons. Also took my car in to have a gas leak checked! Today picked up the car, did a little shopping and then some house-cleaning! Still need to make a post on my blog and do a little more knitting.......I'm beginning to feel almost as busy as Larissa and I need to try to keep up this pace to get everything together for the craft show season that really begins to take off the end of April and on.
The snow is melting, about 10 inches deep left to go before I can get the trailer out and staged, but they do say we may get some more next week >:) , but it's still staying above freezing for daytime!
Have a good week-end everyone!

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11881 on: March 16, 2016, 05:37:36 PM »
We are a quiet group, aren't we!  I just finished a custom order I picked up through Facebook...  I built a case for a bead board.  Make a carrying sack with a shoulder strap...   no problem!  But this was basically a small piece of luggage that zipped around three sides.  The customer was well aware that I had never made anything like this before, but she said that she was comfortable that I would not send her something that wasn't completely sturdy and usable.  She also said that an irregularity here and there would just make it that much more special.  I am REALLY glad she said that, too, as there were "irregularities here and there."  But the finished product was nice looking and would certainly stand up and serve its purpose.  So it's in the mail.  My fingers are crossed that she will be happy with it in person, even though I sent here little progress videos along the way.  It was a fun learning experience.  Will I ever do another one?  Right now the jury is still out on that one.

Other than that, same old stuff. Working on the planning for the Frontier Folk Festival in June and getting ready for my show season.  Even though I have been doing my marketing, I just can't get my online sales to be anywhere near steady.  But I'm too stubborn to give up on it.  My things do very well in person.  My worst shows are in the break-even range.

Stay well and creative everyone!

Offline TheSilkRoadie

• View Profile
    • The Silk Roadie
« Reply #11882 on: March 17, 2016, 07:00:56 PM »
Polishing bronze disks.
Storm

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”  Albert Einstein

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #11883 on: March 17, 2016, 07:50:36 PM »
It has been quiet, I think everyone is realizing how close the busier season is getting and really concentrating on their crafts. I finished a hat to felt, and a cowl (for my inventory), and started (three times :police: ) a shawlette for myself...
I'm not used to working lace from a graph, but finally figured it out and I'm on the 9th repeat of 33 for the border, then have to pick up stitches and work short rows in stockinette for the solid part....I'm doing it mainly to challenge myself instead of just working with familiar patterns :-\ . Just finished printing a few sheets of labels for the candles I've made this week, now to apply them.

Sandi, I'm sure you did a lovely job on the case you made. It's like I keep telling my husband, sometimes artists can be their own worst critic! (He's been painting canvases for the shows and is expanding his range and techniques a little too.)

The Silk Roadie-Sounds like you are keeping busy too. :laugh:

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11884 on: March 18, 2016, 09:42:34 AM »
Definitely busy.  Took some time last weekend to go visit my friends and their new baby, though (and gave them the gifts, which my friend LOVED, especially the painting - her mom was an artist, so she really values that sort of thing), and then aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllll the way out Long Island (which is, in fact, a LONG island!) to see the brother-in-law's new place.  It's a really cute house on a nice piece of property, but man, it's a hike.  Two hours from us.

We're supposed to be gearing up for bee season; we have like a month to finish building all the hive bodies and honeycomb frames, and we've been procrastinating so now it's getting scary.  It's a lot of work and a lot of money we still have to spend.

Meanwhile, Eric's been sick as a dog the last few days.  I think he's got the flu and should see a doctor, but he keeps insisting it's not as bad as he remembers when he last had it, so maybe I'm wrong.  Tonight's the bee meeting, and I'm not sure whether I'm going.  I really want to; the speaker is the NYPD swarm catcher!  I'm just not sure Eric will be up to it, or even up to me not being home to get him some dinner and make sure he's ok.  Plus, I'm definitely going to be out most of tomorrow (dermatologist in the morning, a knife skills class at Chef Central in the early afternoon, and then I'll be home baking in the later afternoon for a St. Paddy's themed potluck we're supposed to attend tomorrow night - I'm doing a Guinness chocolate cake with Jameson's frosting & chocolate glaze).  I'm definitely going to the potluck; it's just up in the air whether E will come with me.

A woman contacted me recently from a small family business that's selling a new line of face paint.  She wanted a pro's opinion/review, even though it's really a mom/volunteer type kit, so I said it was ok to send me a free one & I blogged my review last night.  It really is a great kit:  http://njfacepainter.blogspot.com/2016/03/bayleaf-botanicals-face-paints-review.html  And I like that it's made in the US and a small business.  Always support small business!

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11885 on: March 19, 2016, 03:29:11 PM »
So the bead board case I made has been delivered and here is the note I got from my customer....

"If I felt better, I would be jumping up and down I am so excited! Can't wait to be better enough to use it! It is way beyond my wishes, I cannot thank you enough. And yes, I would love to keep in touch and stay friends!  Going back to bed now but when the postman left me a card to pick this up this morning, I was getting there no matter what!"

This is why we all do this!  Plus, my customer posted a picture of her case and I have already been commissioned to make another one from there!

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11886 on: March 19, 2016, 03:55:54 PM »
Good job!!!!!
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11887 on: March 22, 2016, 02:59:12 PM »
I have been cutting out butterflies all day!  What do you think?

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #11888 on: March 22, 2016, 10:56:10 PM »
Larissa- hope E is feeling better, sounds like you have a lot of bee building to do!

Sandi- your butterflies are beautiful! Are they going to be a quilt or is that the start of the next case? Looks like a lot of work, but so much like spring/summer :laugh:

I've been spinning a little, knitting and more knitting, have some dyeing I want to experiment with, need to make more candles and get ready for an April show. Husband has been productive in his painting, which means I have pictures to take and prints to make. Been posting pictures of my projects on http://mulchandmorecrafts.com/blog/ if you want a peek (sorry, I always have trouble inserting pictures here-someday I'll learn)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11889 on: March 23, 2016, 10:16:06 AM »
Sandi, congrats on the happy customer!  Those butterflies are gorgeous, and I can't wait to see what they become.

Bev, your yarns are so gorgeous!  Insanely gorgeous.

Would you believe E is still sort of sick?  The cold itself has passed, but his throat is so irritated and sore that he's got this horrible dry constant cough and laryngitis.  It's driving him crazy, and he's sucking back tea, whiskey, and honey like it's going out of style.

Spring is really coming on fast because of the warm winter, and when Eric went into one of the hives yesterday, it was bursting with bees, and already had drone brood.  The queen only lays drones when she knows that the colonies need to get ready for mating, so according to them, spring's in full force.  That means we have to rush to finish building all the new boxes and split hives before they decide to swarm... like possibly this weekend already!  When you consider that 2 years ago we were delayed in getting our bees until May in the first place because crappy weather wouldn't allow splits, it's pretty crazy.  Anyway, so we spent a lot of last night building boxes.  Tonight will be more of the same.

I'll also need to pick up a picture frame and paint it - a woman on FB has commissioned me to paint her friend's son's name and baseballs on a picture frame for the kiddo.  She's a photog and will be putting a photo she took in it.  Pretty cool gift!

Oh, and yesterday when E checked out the hive, it was with a friend of ours; she and her guy came by to help lift our new-to-us rabbit hutch (E bought it on Craigslist for $50) onto its stand.  We're getting quail!  But so Carol is actually becoming a beekeeper this spring (we're mentoring her since we're friends and the ones who got her into it) and she borrowed my gear and did the inspection with him.  I just got to see photos; I'm jealous I wasn't there for her first time!  She'd never been in a hive before and is really proud of herself that she didn't freak out.  I remember that pride too!

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #11890 on: March 23, 2016, 02:13:22 PM »
Larissa, are you calling me "insane" or just slightly twisted? :laugh: Thanks for taking a look! Today I'm dyeing (playing with more colors to spin!)

Your painted hives still look lovely after the winter weather. Are you going to make the rest of them "fancy" too? If so you really have a lot to do. Also enjoyed seeing some green grass! we still have some snow and open brown spots, but a prediction of 6-10 inches for tonight and tomorrow...nice thing is that it's warm enough 30's- 40's that it won't last too long!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11891 on: March 24, 2016, 10:00:53 AM »
LOL, aren't we all at least slightly twisted?   8)

No, the only 3 fancy hives are the original 3.  We're expanding way too much for that, and we need to go "commercial."  So we got an ecostain that we've used on a bunch of our hives and will be using on all future hives - it's really quick to just brush it on with a sponge or dip the wood straight into a bin (which is what we'll be doing this year, dipping) one side at a time.  Once the sun hits it, it creates a nice weathered wood look, and it's healthy for the bees and the environment, and is weather-resistant.  Wins all around.

As opposed to last night, which started out a bit of a fail but was turned into a win.  I went to find the picture frame I saw online, and Michaels was of course out of it - but only in the color and size I needed.  Of course!  Why would it be easy?  So the woman who commissioned it from me is hunting one down today (I honestly am not charging enough to waste the gas and time running all over creation), and I'll paint it tonight after my gig.  I'm leaving work 2 hours early to face paint at a Purim party for a local Chabad.  It's imoji themed, so I'm offering all imoji faces.  That should be fun.  I'm annoyed that I forgot my good camera at home, so I'm relegated to my phone camera, but it's pretty good so it won't be a total loss.

In the meantime, on the way home last night, I was thinking about the new denim jacket I recently bought.  And for some reason, a denim jacket I had when I was a kid popped into my head... I was at a sleepover party, and the host had a fabric-painting kit of iron-on outlines and paints to use, and they were offering it for our use at the party as an activity.  I called my mom for permission, and painted a really cute Kermit the Frog on the back of my denim jacket.  I'd totally forgotten about that until just last night, when the wheels started to turn in my head.

So while Eric and I were at Michaels being completely unsuccessful in finding the frame, we popped into the fabric paint aisle... and Eric found the perfect set for me to use.  NOW the jacket's truly ME.  :)  I find it amusing that at 45 I'm regressing to my childhood, but I love it and I'm at the point where I honestly don't care if it's immature.  I think it looks awesome, and I love it.   8)

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11892 on: March 24, 2016, 10:11:01 AM »
I love it, too, Larissa!  That's awesome!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11893 on: March 24, 2016, 10:46:25 AM »
Thanks!  It makes me really happy.  Of course, this morning I was disappointed to see that we're getting to a high of 55 today, so it's too chilly to wear it.  Tomorrow will be 71, though, so finally!

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #11894 on: March 24, 2016, 11:41:59 AM »
Nice bee on your jacket...but you can't enjoy seeing it when you're wearing it :-\