Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1509788 times)

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #11325 on: July 30, 2015, 09:43:57 AM »
So, so sorry, Teresa, sending my deepest sympathy. Our nephew died  Monday after a 2-year battle with colorectal cancer. What an awful beast cancer is. Truly.

Happy belated birthday, Larissa!

I hate that your show wasn't very profitable, Sandi, but I love that it was a peaceful setting - you were probably put there to slow down for a day or two!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11326 on: July 30, 2015, 10:22:43 AM »
Teresa & Andrea, I'm so, so sorry for your losses!

Work today, nothing special again tonight.  Very happy that Eric is FINALLY bringing his laptop for a diagnosis (and hopefully to be fixed) on Friday so that he can access our Reef Botanicals label files and his photoshop and FINALLY design the honey labels so we can FINALLY order them and FINALLY sell honey!

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11327 on: July 30, 2015, 11:39:45 AM »
So so sorry Teresa and Andrea.............

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11328 on: July 30, 2015, 01:33:54 PM »
So, so sorry, Teresa, sending my deepest sympathy. Our nephew died  Monday after a 2-year battle with colorectal cancer. What an awful beast cancer is. Truly.

I am so sorry Andrea! I agree about cancer being an awful beast. I have lost too many family members and friends to this disease. I'm sure many here have too.

Thanks for your sentiments everyone. It is appreciated.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #11329 on: July 30, 2015, 02:40:06 PM »
Oh dear Teresa and Andrea, I am deeply sorry, but don't carry a heavy heart, make it light by remembering the beautiful memories you both created with your special ones.
I know that's easier said then done, but it is possible, sit in a quiet spot and just start....to remember.....

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #11330 on: July 31, 2015, 02:09:06 PM »
Thanks Monika! When I do think of her it makes me smile. She was such a gentle soul. I am glad that the pain is now done.

I am frustrated beyond belief today! Reasons for this funk? I feel awful about the whole Cecil the lion thing like so many others, but I am so tired of seeing post after post. I'm not convinced we've heard the entire story either. I don't blame people for getting up in arms about it, but there are so many other things to get wound up about too. Injustice, poverty, substandard education,...  the list goes on. 
On top of that heap, we may have to drop our selling price for our house. Showings have been very slow. I had none this week. WE have one on Sunday. I thought the asking price seemed high to start with, but we were relying on the 20+ years of experience of our agent. She seems to think that if we leave the house vacant, that we will have to get it ALL painted in a neutral color. What bugs me is we will spend money to do that and then the people will paint anyway. :o 
It's one of those days when I REALLY feel like I have been dropped here from another planet.

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11331 on: July 31, 2015, 03:09:11 PM »
We may never hear the whole Cecil story.   I remember   several decades ago  I took my 2 youngest  sons at the time to see Clarence the Cross Eyed Lion.   It was a nonsensical  story of a lion who  was cross eyed and   seemingly tame.   I was  concerned at the time  that my boys  would think it ok to try to make friends with wild animals.  I just wish people would get it through their  heads that wild animals are  wild animals and not to be played with.  I don't advocate  animal cruelty  but  I think wild animals have their place.
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11332 on: July 31, 2015, 04:02:23 PM »
I understand, Teresa, so I am simply ignoring all the news today.  Instead, I am restocking long-hair Furpets©!  I did short-hairs yesterday.  We have heard that the lime green ones glow in the dark although the manufacturer of the fabric makes no such claim.

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #11333 on: July 31, 2015, 05:26:30 PM »
I understand, Teresa, so I am simply ignoring all the news today.  Instead, I am restocking long-hair Furpets©!  I did short-hairs yesterday.  We have heard that the lime green ones glow in the dark although the manufacturer of the fabric makes no such claim.

I saw this on FB too! Too cute! Yeah, I have been skimming over that stuff. And Ms. Marty, I remember Clarence the cross eyed lion quite well.
I am going to get out another book and read I think. Too much "social media" is not good for a body.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11334 on: August 02, 2015, 06:13:32 PM »
The last of the long-hairs are ready to be put away...  since I posted a picture of some of them "in process," I figured I should do a follow up!

And....  I have another order for a custom pair of cowboy boot-ees!!!!  I have NONE OF THESE without this wonderful site allowing us to speak and deal directly with customers.  I wish there was a way to let these types of sales show up on our shop pages so that shoppers realize that custom/special orders are perfectly okay and even encouraged.

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
« Reply #11335 on: August 03, 2015, 08:31:46 AM »
Thanks, all - I guess I hurt more for my niece than anything, she feels pretty lost after spending well over 30 years with him.

Totally waaaaay off the subject, but is it just me or does anyone else think it's just plain disrespectful for a child to call an adult by their first name? This is happening more and more to me and it drives me nuts, I guess it's just the way I was raised. Am I just not hip?
 ???

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11336 on: August 03, 2015, 09:46:27 AM »
I must not be hip either, because at 45 years old, I still try to be respectful and call my friends' parents Mr. or Mrs. Lastname, unless they tell me otherwise.  And then it still feels weird.

As for what my friends' kids call me, it depends on the kids.  I think "Miss Larissa" is cute, and it's what some cultures seem to teach their kids is the respectful way to address an adult, so it's cool with me.  I don't think I've ever been called "Mrs. Symbouras," and honestly, I'd cut any kid a break who wanted to call me "Mrs." and go with "Mrs. S."  Because "Symbouras" is just nuts.  If we really do start teaching kids about bees and it becomes a thing, I think I'll be deciding between introducing myself as Miss Larissa or Mrs. S.

Then there are the kids of my friend, Emilie, and they call me Larissa.  When I met them 10 years or so ago, Kenny was 8 or 9, Rachel was 6 or 7, and Margee was 2 or 3, but we've been friends forever, and are like family.  So somewhere along the line I went from being "Miss Larissa" to Larissa and that's cool with me; Kenny's now in college, Rachel's leaving for college next week, and Margee is 13.  But with that particular family, I feel like a peer to both mom & kids.  It's just our dynamic.

Anyway, crazy weekend.  By Sunday night, I couldn't believe it was already over; it just flew.  Saturday I face painted & Eric twisted balloons at a birthday, then we went to our friends' BBQ.  Sunday morning I was face painting 11:30-2:30, then we had to do hive inspections, bottled most of the rest of the honey (looks like all told, we're pulling ~78 lbs, plus some "not ready" honey that Eric will use to make mead, not bad!) and then Emilie & the girls came over to have snack and play our new Exploding Kittens game; one last hurrah before Rachel leaves for college.

Today is just work.  And maybe laundry.  After work, Eric's running to an electronics store with Emilie & Rachel to help her pick the computer she'll need for school.

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
« Reply #11337 on: August 03, 2015, 09:56:51 AM »
I am absolutely good with Miss Andrea and like you, I still call my elders by Mr/Mrs last name, I have friends from high school that I still address by their last names like I did way back when.

A big hurray to you and the 78# - I think I've got honey envy!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11338 on: August 03, 2015, 10:08:29 AM »
I am absolutely good with Miss Andrea and like you, I still call my elders by Mr/Mrs last name, I have friends from high school that I still address by their last names like I did way back when.

A big hurray to you and the 78# - I think I've got honey envy!

Seriously!  And that was mostly off one hive; the split just gave us 6 frames of honey (the other 4 in that box weren't ready or didn't have any), which is about 18-21 lbs.  So all the rest was on the hive that we overwintered from last spring.  Our girls were rockin' it!

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #11339 on: August 03, 2015, 02:14:32 PM »
I get called Miss Teresa by most everyone down here. I think it's a southern thing because I had never heard that before. It did take some getting used to but I don't mind it. I do think it's a bit odd for kids to address their elders with just a first name. It's too familiar and I think lacks the respect the person is due. But then again, I'd rather that than something nasty. I still call my elders Mr./Mrs. as well as people I don't know well.

That is a lot of honey!! Wow! I can't even imagine that much. Yummy!!

Same stuff as usual. We had back to back showings yesterday and I had one today. One of the showings from yesterday looks very promising, so hopefully we will get an offer soon.

Great article about avatars on the blog this time too! Hopefully it will help some shops to understand how important it is!