Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1707523 times)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #10935 on: May 08, 2015, 01:35:52 PM »
Halloo!!

I'm exhausted.  I was painting hive bodies until 3:30 a.m. and then needed to unwind, so I stayed up reading 'til 4:30 a.m. last night/this morning.  Got to work a bit late today too.

Today I'm at work, and then tonight I plan to spray the topcoat on the hive boxes & then rest.  A lot of resting.  And maybe hit a craft store - that's either today or tomorrow.  We need a shadowbox frame for part of our display for our booth when we represent the Northeast NJ Beekeepers at a fair on May 17.  We got this life cycle of a bee set, and want to put it in a display case with the info.  (All the COOL kids have bee larva action figures!)

Also, I need a stretched canvas because all the ones I have are covered in oil paint & this one's for acrylic.  I don't know if I mentioned this, but the couple that owns this new restaurant where I'm face painting once a month has a daughter who's turning 12 soon & her bday party was supposed to be May 16.  They were going to hire me to teach canvas painting at the party (and open up a whole new avenue of party services & income stream for me!!!), and the kid was so enamored with me being a beekeeper, that she wanted me to teach them to paint honeybees!

But then the mom quit her day job suddenly when her boss got pretty verbally abusive after a long history of her being unhappy, so they had to cancel the whole party.  Well, the daughter's reaction (I've met her several times and she really is an awesome kid) was, "It's ok, mom.  I'll have a lot of birthdays, and you deserve to be happy.  Don't worry about it."  So what I want to do is paint the honeybee painting I was already envisioning for her, taking step-by-step photos to include on my site to advertise the canvas painting party services, but then give the finished painting to her as a birthday present.

The paints are already out because of the hive, so now's a good time for that.  Plus, I have lots of coupons for Michaels, AC Moore, and Jo-Anns.  :)

Tomorrow morning is our town cleanup/beautification day, so I'm going to that, but not staying the full three hours because then E & I need to run up to the beekeeping supply place for more frames since the bee population is exploding so fast.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #10936 on: May 09, 2015, 08:48:28 AM »
Go, Larissa!

No illusion...  that's snow on our lawn!

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
« Reply #10937 on: May 09, 2015, 08:55:56 AM »
Holy crap, Sandi! I thought we had lousy weather in NE Ohio  :o

Larissa, your posts wear me out! I'm not sure if I know a busier person!! I love reading about how well your bees are doing! I'm saving my pennies for a couple of flow-hives to take to Bee-lize.  :D

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #10938 on: May 09, 2015, 10:04:11 AM »
Andrea, you MUST keep me posted on how the Flow Hives do!  Do you already have brood boxes for underneath?  I can't remember if you'd already started putting your bee gear together.

Went to the town clean up day this morning & helped get some trash out of the nature preserve.

Now we're headed to the bee supply shop about an hour away, then the craft store & hive inspections.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #10939 on: May 09, 2015, 10:07:07 AM »
Whoa, Sandi, I missed that photo!  Holy crow!

Offline ClemmieVs

• View Profile
    • Clemmie v's
« Reply #10940 on: May 09, 2015, 10:22:39 AM »
Today I am checking out all the wonderful shops at Handmade Artists. I am a Newbie trying to find my way around.
Feel free to give me some pointers, I'm lost as a Goose ...LOL old East Texas Saying!  ;)

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10941 on: May 09, 2015, 10:33:32 AM »
Today I am checking out all the wonderful shops at Handmade Artists. I am a Newbie trying to find my way around.
Feel free to give me some pointers, I'm lost as a Goose ...LOL old East Texas Saying!  ;)

Welcome!! Nice to see new faces around here!

Sandi, I do believe the snow. I saw plowable hail on the news in CO. Where I grew up we would have snow sometimes in May.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #10942 on: May 09, 2015, 10:39:48 AM »

Nice to meet you Clemmie!  Please ask if you have ANY questions!

It's really weird here...  if it DOESN'T snow Mother's Day, it will snow on Memorial Day Weekend for sure.  The latest snow I've seen was June 11.  Our weather has always been a bit on the weird side.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #10943 on: May 10, 2015, 10:28:05 AM »
Welcome, Clemmie!  Love the makeup brush rolls.

Good morning & happy mother's day, my friends!  Did a ton of bee-related stuff yesterday.  Blogged the inspections & choices we made in the Reef Botanicals  blog if you're interested.  The inspections are on video in that post too.

Today is pond & garden day, them Eric is going to a soccer game.  While I paint!  On canvas!  On my BRAND NEW EASEL!  More on that later because I need to get moving, but it obviously makes me SO HAPPY!

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #10944 on: May 10, 2015, 03:46:34 PM »
Hi all, caught up on my reading here, but too much has been happening to reply to all! My computer was on the fritz for about a week, but finally got everything back together with a new monitor (the old one died and they don't fix those!)
I officially retired a week ago from working for someone else, and this week has been busier than ever as I concentrate totally on my business and family. Did get to spend yesterday and this morning with both my children and see the grandsons too :D Made candles before we left, now to label them and get a few more batches going, my inventory is low with two shows back-to-back and only a week before the third one! And we will be camping for these so hope Sandi will not send her snow East ( after 70's and 80's last week we have a high of 48 today :( ) We did stop at a nice craft store on our way home today and husband found some florescent paint that he was missing, so he's going to be busy with his black light works. We have a little of the garden planted, more to till and more seeds to go in. Finally received some rain, so things should start sprouting. Summers are so short here that tomatoes can't go in til the end of the month, so  I always feel way behind for harvest. Have to get the trailer wheels greased this week, get the craft tent out of the garage and other things together. Have a plumber coming to fix a couple of things that aren't working well (leaky faucets etc.)  so don't think things are going to slow down any in the near future.

Happy Mother's Day all! (Even if you aren't one, you still had one! :laugh: )

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #10945 on: May 11, 2015, 12:26:06 AM »
Geez, I feel bad for beekeepers up by you - and for the bees! It's got to be so hard to figure out the seasons when it's like that.  And I thought we got a late start this year!

E ended up skipping the soccer game tonight, so we stayed working on the garden fencing and all that.  Photo below; you'd be amazed how long this is taking the two of us to build!  Although I should say that we only had one short side done before today, and got ALL the rest done today.

I still got to paint one painting (I wanted to do two), which I'm going to post about in the Art section of the Gallery.

And we also celebrated Conor's first birthday with another cookie for both boys to share.  They're so good.  The boys, I mean.  I haven't tasted the cookies, since they're not meant for humans.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10946 on: May 11, 2015, 08:12:05 AM »
I think I caught up on everyone here!  Larissa, you seriously wear me out with all that you do!  Sandi, snow....you can keep it!  Andrea, we are going to a bee keepers meeting this month and one of them uses the flow hives so I am excited to see how they work!

Spent Friday teaching a bunch of ladies chainmaille and actually learned a lot about teaching it.  The pattern was simple, well for me, and a few of them caught right on and plowed ahead, finishing the bracelets while others just could not see how the pattern goes together so there was a lot of hands on help with them.  I think it is just the way some people's minds work....visual and patterns versus something else.  In the end all had fun so it was a success. 

Spent more time in the yard clearing and transplanting and digging.  Andrew hung my hammocks up so the work stopped and I just couldn't get going again! 

The boys planned out my mother's day dinner with style!  Spencer cooked and Nathaniel made the nicest card (locking my out of my own craft room in order to do it!) and then put a table, complete with table cloth and candle down in the woods by the stream.  After they got Andrew and I seated, the changed into suits and served us dinner and dessert!  Definitely one to remember

Today is catch up a bit and I really need to paint a couple of invitations either today or tomorrow but would much rather be outside before it gets too hot and sticky so we shall see.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #10947 on: May 11, 2015, 08:56:41 AM »
LOL, Kimberly, I think it only makes you tired because you add my travels to the top of everything YOU do.

You're kids are freakin' awesome, BTW.

Work today, then tonight, we MUST fix something in the pond that's leaking.  I had to pull the plug on the pump this morning.  Also need to change out the storm windows for screens & put in the window AC.  It's hot!

Then I want to paint my 2nd canvas.  I'm thinking an elephant.  If you look at the canvas painting gallery at njfacepainter.com, I'm taking some step-by-step photos to illustrate how I'll be teaching.  Then, while the first painting is earmarked as a gift, future paintings, including the elephant, can be listed in Fabric of my Mind.  I love multipurposing stuff.  :)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #10948 on: May 11, 2015, 09:39:13 AM »
Or... I won't be listing the elephant painting, because I mentioned it to a friend/coworker, who already wants to buy it, sight unseen, for her nephew who loves elephants.  LOL!

Oh, and I didn't tell you guys about the insane deal I got at Michaels on Saturday.  We went for a shadowbox frame for those bee action figures I posted about a few days ago, plus a small canvas for the bee painting, and some foam core for something else.

We ended up leaving with an easel (on sale from $80 to $40), a GORGEOUS shadowbox frame (on sale from $80 to $20), a pack of two canvases, and four boards of foam core for $53 because the cashier was also really nice & gave us a coupon for 40% off the whole purchase!!

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #10949 on: May 11, 2015, 01:35:35 PM »
Love the dinner Kimberly - those are two very special young men - and you go, Larissa!  Good luck with your shows, Bev!

My son and wonderful DIL gave me this garden fairy for Mother's Day!  The globe is a solar light.  I was so glad that the snow was gone so that I could get her in our garden!