Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1610185 times)

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #8535 on: January 17, 2014, 10:45:35 AM »
Thanks for the votes, Monika!  I voted for Andrea!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #8536 on: January 17, 2014, 11:07:56 AM »
Hey, y'all,

Just plugging along here, as usual.  Day job, face painting (have a 3 hour gig I'm working with Eric tonight at a company party), and doing my thing.

I may or may not be joining the town's Environmental Commission.  The chair would like me to & I already go to all of the meetings because I'm on the Green Team.  But I'd have to be approved.  I'm supposed to meet with her tomorrow morning to talk about it.

Still knitting that same first sock, too.  It's tiny skinny yarn, and I'm doing knee socks because I have enough... only socks are really kind of tedious, aren't they?  I'm dreading having to do a second to match the first, kind of.  I keep setting it aside and taking breaks.  I figure I'll have a pair of wool knee socks by July or so.  Ha!

I've also been playing some online poker.  Eric taught me to play Texas Hold Em because we're going to a poker night tomorrow night, a town Newcomers & Neighbors event (like my book club).  I'm bringing lemon cake & trying to be semi-competent.  I've never played poker before.  It's kind of fun; I get it now.  I just really need to remember the order of winning hands.  I mean, I know a royal flush is best, but then after that I get muddled on whether a flush is better than a straight & all that, even though I know what's needed for each hand.  Maybe I'll bring a cheat sheet of hand values.  I actually really can't wait for this event; I know a couple of the women going from the book club and they're ones I really like a ton.  And I'm excited for Eric to meet some of the townies that I've been cultivating friendships with.

Also tomorrow, Eric's got a business meeting for a new partnership he's entering with two other guys.  He'll still be doing the computer thing for now, and the new stuff at night.  We're not going 100% public with it yet, because they're working on a website & Facebook page & all, but the plan is to have S & S BBQ (Symbouras & Steinberg, our last name & the last name of the other major partner).  It'd start with BBQ sauces for sale online & at local farmer's markets and such... and then eventually once they build a name & fan base, turn into a physical location for full on BBQ food and/or food trucks.  Eric is SO HAPPY to be getting into food finally!  And the commercial kitchen they'll be renting time/space from is basically "whenever," so they can go cook there from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. if they like.  It's all very exciting!

Offline jolenemacinjax

• Live for Today - No One is Promised Tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Southern Women Crafts
« Reply #8537 on: January 17, 2014, 04:32:10 PM »
Hello, everyone. Hope your Friday is going well. My mom and I are settling into our new campground hosting assignment here at Myakka River State Park in beautiful Sarasota, Florida. We have even managed to create some new items that we will be adding to the shop before the end of the month. I added some pics of what we have done this month and a picture of our campsite

Cheers and have a great and productive weekend!

8)

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #8538 on: January 17, 2014, 05:59:22 PM »
Wow, Girl....its getting cold.....well maybe not as far a Sarasota....

I just blew the hole day, feels good, did read a lot with my new tablet....I just love that thing.... :D

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #8539 on: January 18, 2014, 03:07:12 AM »
I'm at my daughter's again tonight, so thought I'd pop in and say Hi!

Lo  Andrea, I have never put a password on my computer until recently, mainly to keep my grandson from just getting on and staying on there for forever.   I have always remembered the passwords before, but I woke up early in the morning and changed it, then went back to sleep.....................................no, didn't put any hints on it or write it down, I was that sure I'd remember it!  Yeah well so much for that!!!!
Wow Larissa, sounds like you two have some awesome things going on there!   Hope you had fun and lots of luck playing poker!

jolenemacinjax - sounds like fun hosting a camp site!

Yep, Monika it is very very safe!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

no tv, no radio, and now no computer! yikes!  Hopefully I'll have a TV soon
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #8540 on: January 18, 2014, 05:40:39 AM »
Good Morning everyone....just woke up to one of my Kitties bringing up a fur ball, what an early gift.....LOL.....Now I have to hunt for it to clean it up. Sheesh, that new carpet in my house is not conducive to finding it.....

Kris, ya made me giggle.....hope you are  set up soon, with all the "necessities".....

Need to get grocery shopping today, fill up the pantry again.....Glen arrived at his sisters in NC and think its not as bad as he thought it was, her stroke....That's good news.....mos tlikely he will be back home Sunday evening, maybe Monday.

You all have a fab day, stay warm, Fl is cold just about the freezing point.....bbrrrrrrrr....... :P

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #8541 on: January 18, 2014, 10:13:26 AM »
The face painting gig we did last night was one of the hardest I've ever done.  It's hard to explain, because the kids were good, the parents were nice, and it was fun & we got fed dinner.

But we both left after three hours, feeling brutalized.  It was just a mob scene.  It was a huge party at an event venue, with flashing lights & a DJ that kept blowing a whistle & yelling for everyone to get on the dance floor.  The kids were crowding around us, jostling my glitter tattoo table & putting themselves in danger of getting bopped in the eye with one of Eric's balloons.  They completely ravaged my stencil book.  And EVERY SINGLE GIRL got a butterfly, which is so terribly boring for me.

But again, they were good kids, just really so excited and eager.  And there were fewer than anticipated, so they kept coming back for more.  I had girls with painted faces & three tattoos.  It was crazy and draining, even though they hired babysitters to help us.  And the babysitters were great, too, they just couldn't control the mob.

This morning's meeting had to be postponed, the EC chair feels like she's getting a cold so we'll meet one day after work this week.

Now I just have to get to the bank, the supermarket (which are thankfully in the same place), and come back & bake before our poker night event.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8542 on: January 19, 2014, 02:46:23 PM »
Latest highlight, https://handmadeartists.com/highlights-details/?id=201401191327243820d&uid=28042011103137&index= show some comment love and share! Valentines is around the corner

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #8543 on: January 20, 2014, 07:29:13 AM »
Good Morning everyone.....

Just BE my handmade Valentine, yes....?

A Valentine Treasure and some have been featured. So much to browse here, see and buy here for your Valentine. Please comment, share, promote

https://handmadeartists.com/highlights-details/Just%20BE%20my%20handmade%20Valentine,%20please%20(smile)/?id=20140120054620f7584

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8544 on: January 20, 2014, 10:13:40 AM »
We are all running around in different directions but we did manage to get a few hours to take the kids climbing on Saturday!  The boys had a ball, especially Nathaniel who is part monkey anyways and I came home with tired arms and hands. 

Other than that, nothing all that exciting!  Expecting more snow tomorrow and so looking forward to a warm vacation and then spring.  I grew up in the cold, but the older I get the less I like it.  :'(

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #8545 on: January 20, 2014, 10:25:28 AM »
Whoa.....Kimberly, cant get me up there with a fork lift.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And even we Floridian's are tired of THE COLD, around the 30's every morning....I know, I know, we still have it a lot better than you are....

Missed the beginning of the Downton Abby Series and just caught up via computer......isn't it maaaaavelous.....

Ok, off my "duff" and to work on something around here......LOL

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #8546 on: January 20, 2014, 02:16:13 PM »
Brave kids, Kimberly.  Not sure I could do climbing; I've got no upper body strength, but it looks like so much fun!

So Eric's business meeting on Saturday went GREAT.  They chose four sauces (one of Eric's) and two rubs (one of Eric's) to start with as a product line.  This is so exciting!

Poker night Saturday night was an absolute BLAST, and we left $40 up, so that was cool.  We had so much fun it was ridiculous.  The second tournament ended a bit after 11 p.m. & we stayed until after 1:30 a.m. just chatting.

On Sunday we got up to meet our friend/mechanic at my office at 10 a.m. to put the brakes on my car... and he didn't show up until after 11.  Still, can't complain when he's doing us a favor.  The bad part is it took FIVE AND A HALF HOURS to get it done, so we left for CT 3 hours later than intended, got there after 8 instead of at 5, and ended up staying until after 1:30 a.m.... and getting home at almost 4 a.m.

I'm barely able to keep my eyes open today, but coffee's helping.  After work, gotta get to Fairway for cocoa nibs, then home to bake a tart crust for Wednesday's book club meeting.  That's pretty much my day.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #8547 on: January 21, 2014, 07:17:38 AM »
Morning everyone...going to get another shot in the petuta....my Doc called I am not  really better....I am soo sick of being sick and tired... :D :D

Glen is back home, so we will meet for lunch.....

Wishing all a wonderful WARM day and "oodles" of sales....

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #8548 on: January 21, 2014, 09:18:20 AM »
Halloo!

Just a normal day today, more or less.  Working, tonight I have to finish the tart for tomorrow night's book club meeting.

We're getting a snowstorm... was supposed to start late morning, but it's started already, so that doesn't bode well.  The snow is fine, but it's so cold out that it's already sticking to areas that aren't as heavily trafficked.  I'm hoping we get let out early if it gets as bad as it's supposed to; I may have 4 new tires & 4 new brakes, but I'm not invincible and don't like driving in that mess.  Plus, it's supposed to get really windy, making visibility impossible.  I'm more worried about Eric, who's on his way to Long Island to his office, where it's supposed to get hit even worse than here.  He plans to leave early if it gets bad, but by then it could take him hours & hours to get home and be really unsafe.  I hope he doesn't have to stay over.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #8549 on: January 21, 2014, 10:11:45 AM »
I feel better... Eric got to the George Washington Bridge, turned around and came home, so he's working from home today.  Now I know he's safe.

On another note, the office phones are insane today.  It's been really quiet lately, between the holidays & then yesterday the courts were closed for the additional holiday.  They're making up for lost time today!