Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1528748 times)

myeuropeantouch

Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #6495 on: April 17, 2013, 05:22:43 AM »
Oh, our Music Program for the nursing homes is ready and we are on the go giving concerts and spreading Joy around Town....I tell ya...."I am singing so low, nobody can hear me" - being facetious....
My solo is "Nobody knows the trouble I've seen" its in a low key, and I am a Soprano...whoa...taxing....that is... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Here is our Senior Choir, not even all 45 of us....some of them are in their 90's and still singing some solo's...this is my favorite ministry...singing for all the nursing homes in town

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #6496 on: April 17, 2013, 06:56:37 AM »
The aftermath of the 9/11/01 attack definitely left us with severely reduced 4th Amendment (search & seizure) and 6th Amendment (speedy trial) rights.  I saw it coming.  I said it on 9/12/01 and I lament that I was right.  The fearmongers used it to take away our rights, and we let it happen.

And now... now it's getting worse instead of better.  Did you see the story of the American Airlines flight out of Logan airport?  Right after the recent bombing, someone complained about a couple of guys on the flight who happened to be speaking Arabic.  AND AA STOPPED TAXYING, TURNED THE PLANE AROUND, AND KICKED OFF THE ARABIC GUYS.  Yes, really.  Straight up racism.  Straight up prejudice.  In 2013.  I felt sick reading it, sick and angry.  And if I was still practicing as a lawyer, I'd be ecstatic to take on their suit.  For free.

Kris, your grandson is adorable.  Unfortunately, bullies will always be bullies, and it honestly has nothing to do with his hair or skin tone.  It's the same mentality that exists in domestic violence perpetrators:  Their own insecurities mean they have to beat someone else down to build themselves up.  So no matter what, they'll find something even if it's ridiculous.

I was beaten to a pulp (pretty literally) by bullies as a kid.  But one girl I remember (who was actually really unattractive herself, and apparently REALLY bad at insults) told me, "Your eyes are too big."  She seriously couldn't think of anything else to say.  Thankfully, my parents brought me up with enough of a big mouth and an ego to respond with, "Really?  Like Audrey Hepburn's?  Thanks!"   ;)  Point out to Kai some beautiful people with great long hair and various skin tones.  They're out there, the stars that women go insane over.  And remind him that it's not about his hair or skin tone or ancestry.  It's about their own insecurities and hate, so they'd find something to pick on about someone no matter what.

Offline TheAlchemistsVessel

• Maille Misfit
    • View Profile
    • The Alchemists Vessel
« Reply #6497 on: April 17, 2013, 08:00:25 AM »
What bed of hot coals have I wandered into?

Reading the impassioned voices makes me happy to know I am not alone.  As the mother of a "Eur-Asian" (1/2 Caucasian - 1/2 Korean) child, I can dig it.  When he was little he looked very much like his father, and very Asian, now that he is older he looks just like me (pic below).  The boy was called all kinds of names in school.  "Egg" being the most hurtful, because he was white on the outside and yellow on the inside.  Children are nasty, vicious little creatures that will take any opportunity presented to them to hurt another.   I see it time and time again. 

My parents raised me to be "Color Blind" as I like to say. People were people, period.  As long as they were nice, they were cool. They weren't "Black People", they weren't our "Jewish Friends", they were friends and just people.  Good people are good people, and bad people, well just leave those folks alone.

Coming from as odd a background as I do, City Raised, Summers on the relatives Farm, I got to see Reservation life as compared to "Off-Res".  My Aunt lived just outside Fort Hall (Blackfoot Reservation), and dealt with many a Native, I was allowed on occasion to walk the road with the kids from the Reservation into town.  The cultures are so different that as a kid I didn't get a lot of what was happening.  As an adult I can look back, reflect, and have a better understanding of those differences in culture and behavior and the environment in which one is raised.

The Boy (who is now 24 and all growed up).

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #6498 on: April 17, 2013, 08:30:36 AM »
He is CUTE!  And definitely looks a lot like you.

Offline beadthing

• Whatever you are be a good one. ~Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #6499 on: April 17, 2013, 08:34:02 AM »
I have not yet  read all the posts so i may be back to comment on others but for now I just saw a mention by Beth about her a/c and the leaks in the roof etc.  My dear, call Home Depot or go to one near to you and talk to the store manager or the one in the lumber department, they have programs whereby they can and do help people with things like this.  You may have to pay some portion of it, but I think you may be able to get the help you need.  I have heard the stories of the people they help and I know for a fact that they have a volunteer group within the corporation and many within their own individual stores that do this sort of thing when necessary.  It is certainly worth a try.  I know that they may be helping us if we get to move into our preferred rental with a fence repair.  That company is simply amazing in the amount of community work they do.

Offline TheMerryRaven

• View Profile
« Reply #6500 on: April 17, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
"Hi Merry Raven, I believe that everyone's voice is necessary, your's included and so I will not comment further in rebuttal other than to say that all are connected in Spirit and deserve respect.  "
So, is this your way of saying I'm full of s**t? Fair enough! LOL
But really, there is nothing to 'rebutt' in my post as I wasn't dissing you or your heritage, or anyone else's heritage. Or your beliefs. As a completely non religious person, I was just surprised that you would be so harsh on your (friends/family) switching from one religious belief to another, and even consider it the ruination of your culture!  Yes, we are all connected, not just here in the US but the world over. Perhaps I read your comments wrong, and if I did I apologize for that.
Marginalization of people, or classes of people is a very real threat, in my opinion the greatest threat in the US coming from political marginalization. But there are so many arms to this beast that I try to be careful to distinguish between the real victims and the politics of victimhood.
TheMerryRaven.etsy.com

Sunworx

« Reply #6501 on: April 17, 2013, 09:38:48 AM »
No I was not saying anything other that we do differ in our opinions and both are there for consideration.  Nothing more... :)

"Hi Merry Raven, I believe that everyone's voice is necessary, your's included and so I will not comment further in rebuttal other than to say that all are connected in Spirit and deserve respect.  "
So, is this your way of saying I'm full of s**t? Fair enough! LOL
But really, there is nothing to 'rebutt' in my post as I wasn't dissing you or your heritage, or anyone else's heritage. Or your beliefs. As a completely non religious person, I was just surprised that you would be so harsh on your (friends/family) switching from one religious belief to another, and even consider it the ruination of your culture!  Yes, we are all connected, not just here in the US but the world over. Perhaps I read your comments wrong, and if I did I apologize for that.
Marginalization of people, or classes of people is a very real threat, in my opinion the greatest threat in the US coming from political marginalization. But there are so many arms to this beast that I try to be careful to distinguish between the real victims and the politics of victimhood.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #6502 on: April 17, 2013, 10:47:32 AM »
I have not yet  read all the posts so i may be back to comment on others but for now I just saw a mention by Beth about her a/c and the leaks in the roof etc.  My dear, call Home Depot or go to one near to you and talk to the store manager or the one in the lumber department, they have programs whereby they can and do help people with things like this.  You may have to pay some portion of it, but I think you may be able to get the help you need.  I have heard the stories of the people they help and I know for a fact that they have a volunteer group within the corporation and many within their own individual stores that do this sort of thing when necessary.  It is certainly worth a try.  I know that they may be helping us if we get to move into our preferred rental with a fence repair.  That company is simply amazing in the amount of community work they do.

Pam, thats a great idea, forgot about them and it might work for Beth.... :D

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #6503 on: April 17, 2013, 10:51:27 AM »
Working on mosaic-in my cup cake plate now....LOL... ;) :D

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #6504 on: April 17, 2013, 03:04:13 PM »
Work in progress, front of a Mosaic Bread Box....and look hardly any pink.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Lot's of Jewel colors....

Offline Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #6505 on: April 17, 2013, 07:57:10 PM »

Thanks  Pam.  I used to work for Home Depot and they do do some good work.  I went with a group down to TX after Hurricane Ike hit and helped get the store back in shape.

But, saying that and having worked for them for many years, I also know it's not that easy getting help from them.  And some store managers, like mine was, was a ...well, I won't say.  When I was working there, my hot water tank that was on the second floor of my apartment broke open and it flooded my first floor.  It was very difficult to even get time off to take care of the problem.  The said they couldn't help so I was left to try and figure out what to do.  I did, however, call the gal who worked in plumbing and she was helpful in telling me how to shut things off (it was a gas heater).  And of course, the maintenance # to the apt complex was not working. 

In all the years I worked there, they really didn't take care of their own very well, never mind outsiders.

I am hoping my son-in law will go buy an AC unit for my window. (I gave my daughter cash and begged her...LOL)   I also have his Dad who knows someone who can come look at the main unit, so hopefully I can get some relief soon.

Right now, at almost 8pm, it's 90 degrees inside.  I fashioned a screen for the front door and have the door open and a fan blowing in what little cool air there is.  Going to be another tough night to sleep.

Thanks everyone for your help and concern.

Beth

Offline beadthing

• View Profile
« Reply #6506 on: April 17, 2013, 10:15:12 PM »
Sorry, that happened to you Beth, it must be individual store managers, because they have already offered to help us with the fence and are just waiting for us to get the go ahead to move in and photos of the existing fence and yard.  This store has some of the nicest people I have ever met and my daughter is extremely happy there.  Does not hurt that most of the department supervisors are knocking on the store managers door to try to get her moved to their department.  It makes me a very proud mom, at least I know that I taught her a good work ethic and that now it is paying off for her.

Have you tried your local electric company.  It will still cost you but many times here they will get you a new a/c with a deep deep discount and then you also get some reduction in your bills for having an energy saving system.

Wish I could help more.

Offline beadthing

• View Profile
« Reply #6507 on: April 17, 2013, 10:18:33 PM »
Work in progress, front of a Mosaic Bread Box....and look hardly any pink.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Lot's of Jewel colors....

Monika, this is beautiful and I do love the jewel tones, but hey hun, I still see pink, it was the first color I saw.  Nothing wrong with that.

Sunworx

« Reply #6508 on: April 17, 2013, 10:54:14 PM »
Somehow Larissa, an umbrella style unity is necessary.  Everyone must subjugate their own issues for the greater good.  The challenge is so great that we as people must rise to the highest of values, life, peace, love and respect.  Stop debating lesser issues for now until the larger values are restored, otherwise all will be lost.  Just a thought.   :)

The aftermath of the 9/11/01 attack definitely left us with severely reduced 4th Amendment (search & seizure) and 6th Amendment (speedy trial) rights.  I saw it coming.  I said it on 9/12/01 and I lament that I was right.  The fearmongers used it to take away our rights, and we let it happen.

And now... now it's getting worse instead of better.  Did you see the story of the American Airlines flight out of Logan airport?  Right after the recent bombing, someone complained about a couple of guys on the flight who happened to be speaking Arabic.  AND AA STOPPED TAXYING, TURNED THE PLANE AROUND, AND KICKED OFF THE ARABIC GUYS.  Yes, really.  Straight up racism.  Straight up prejudice.  In 2013.  I felt sick reading it, sick and angry.  And if I was still practicing as a lawyer, I'd be ecstatic to take on their suit.  For free.

Kris, your grandson is adorable.  Unfortunately, bullies will always be bullies, and it honestly has nothing to do with his hair or skin tone.  It's the same mentality that exists in domestic violence perpetrators:  Their own insecurities mean they have to beat someone else down to build themselves up.  So no matter what, they'll find something even if it's ridiculous.

I was beaten to a pulp (pretty literally) by bullies as a kid.  But one girl I remember (who was actually really unattractive herself, and apparently REALLY bad at insults) told me, "Your eyes are too big."  She seriously couldn't think of anything else to say.  Thankfully, my parents brought me up with enough of a big mouth and an ego to respond with, "Really?  Like Audrey Hepburn's?  Thanks!"   ;)  Point out to Kai some beautiful people with great long hair and various skin tones.  They're out there, the stars that women go insane over.  And remind him that it's not about his hair or skin tone or ancestry.  It's about their own insecurities and hate, so they'd find something to pick on about someone no matter what.

Sunworx

« Reply #6509 on: April 17, 2013, 11:10:23 PM »
Great looking young man.  :)   I'm hoping that early in this Sixth World, that people will set a course for higher values and a full appreciation of our connectedness.  What WE do now will set the course for the next 5200 year cycle of time.  That seems to be our responsibility at this time, to set a good and true course.  A higher level of spiritual understanding is now possible for each of us, if utilized.  We are responsible for aligning ourselves with the higher purposes and values.  It is something each of us can do, in our own way.  The collective alignments will guide us to a better place and that is a welcome change.   :)

What bed of hot coals have I wandered into?

Reading the impassioned voices makes me happy to know I am not alone.  As the mother of a "Eur-Asian" (1/2 Caucasian - 1/2 Korean) child, I can dig it.  When he was little he looked very much like his father, and very Asian, now that he is older he looks just like me (pic below).  The boy was called all kinds of names in school.  "Egg" being the most hurtful, because he was white on the outside and yellow on the inside.  Children are nasty, vicious little creatures that will take any opportunity presented to them to hurt another.   I see it time and time again. 

My parents raised me to be "Color Blind" as I like to say. People were people, period.  As long as they were nice, they were cool. They weren't "Black People", they weren't our "Jewish Friends", they were friends and just people.  Good people are good people, and bad people, well just leave those folks alone.

Coming from as odd a background as I do, City Raised, Summers on the relatives Farm, I got to see Reservation life as compared to "Off-Res".  My Aunt lived just outside Fort Hall (Blackfoot Reservation), and dealt with many a Native, I was allowed on occasion to walk the road with the kids from the Reservation into town.  The cultures are so different that as a kid I didn't get a lot of what was happening.  As an adult I can look back, reflect, and have a better understanding of those differences in culture and behavior and the environment in which one is raised.

The Boy (who is now 24 and all growed up).