Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1796557 times)

Offline dahlish

• View Profile
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #600 on: October 05, 2011, 03:57:51 PM »
I wish I lived closer!  Although if I did you'd probably never get me out of your shop!   :D  Is there a way to only do certain hours on certain days?  I  know there's a quirky shop in downtown Fargo that's open only certain days of the month and they seem to be doing alright.

Offline LisaE

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #601 on: October 06, 2011, 04:37:16 AM »
Kris, the Christmas tree sounds great.  The people next to me, at the street fair that I did, do a lot of fairs all over.  They said that display makes a huge difference in sales.
Theresa, Good luck with the store.  I hope things pick up consistently.
Life here has been busier.  A friend is in from out of town so I have turned into a tourist.  Went to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island yesterday for the first time.  It was very interesting.  I also saw 2 shows, one by Nora Ephron and the other, 3 short plays by Ethan Coen, Elaine May and Woody Allen.  I am so happy that the TKTS discount tickets are available.  It's fun, but crazy expensive having someone visit.  Add to that that my dog was sick last week and I had better make and sell some jewelry.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #602 on: October 06, 2011, 07:51:46 AM »
Fingers crossed for you Teresa!

Here's what I do every day...  fall out of bed, drink half a pot of coffee, go to work, go to our rental house and be a construction worker until 9ish, go home, consume something with no nutritional value, stumble through a shower, gall into bed...  next day repeat.  But carpeting goes in next Tuesday, so the light is on at the end of the tunnel.

We;re doing a show this weekend out of state and Paul and I are looking at it as a 3-day weekend off!

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: October 06, 2011, 04:08:50 PM »
Thanks for the encouraging words and support everyone!

Gina, I had thought about that, but that tactic doesn't work here. Having hours like that is the kiss of death for a business. There have been a couple of shops in town that did that and one is closed , the other is about to close.

If I am able to stay open, I will amend my hours. I do for the winter anyway, but even in summer I may go to open on Wed.,Thur.,Fri 10-6 and Sat. 10-5. I 've discussed this possibility a little with my landlady and she is not too happy. They really like having me here. A stable tenant who pays the rent on time, keeps the place up, no grief and they like me! :D

Lisa, I totally understand the expense when someone visits. We had it more so in Chicago than here though.

Knit-I hope you, no I KNOW you will have a very successful show! Enjoy the mini vacation!  :)

Offline dahlish

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: October 06, 2011, 05:35:42 PM »
Ah, yeah weird hours can be a bummer.  :(

I've been boring lately :D  Swimming, doing the kid thing, teaching piano...oh!  I made Reese's Pieces PB cookies yesterday.  There are 2 left :D

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #605 on: October 06, 2011, 06:01:32 PM »

I've been boring lately :D  Swimming, doing the kid thing, teaching piano...oh!  I made Reese's Pieces PB cookies yesterday.  There are 2 left :D

I'll take them!

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: October 06, 2011, 07:24:07 PM »
Busy as usual...working at work and working at home.  We are about to tear apart the kids room (they share) and build a divider as well as refinish their floor and completely redo furniture.  I finished my room and love it and their's is in dire need of an update.  Also, 80 pounds of apples need to be turned into sauce this weekend in addition to my mile lone to do list for both work and home. 
I was thinking about it, I am always overrun but I think I am happier this way.  When things get quiet I always start a new project because I can't just sit. So, maybe I am just one of those people that will always look like a headless chicken!

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #607 on: October 07, 2011, 12:23:55 AM »

mmmm sound yummy!

Teresa - I hope things pick up for you.  It's interesting - downtown's that is.  Alb has a lot of bars and night life, a few shops that have been there forever, some restaurants, and other shops that come and go - Colorado Springs downtown, active nightlife, lots of little shops that seem to do pretty well, and  restaurants that seem to be busy.  But that's my 2 month perception!
Most specialty type shops in the Nob Hill area in Alb do pretty well -
and so my point of all that - do you think a different area would work better?
Lisa - what fun - but oh yes the expense!  Sorry about your dog - hope he/she is doing ok!
Kimberly - somehow, it seems that a lot of people do better when they have a very full plate - but please keep the head on - even if the feathers are flying around as you do! lo  Wow that's a lot of apples!!!  Put those boys to work!
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: October 07, 2011, 07:16:24 AM »
Actually I am looking forward to doing the apples by myself with my music and no kids!  I love their help, but sometimes I would really love to be alone with my own thoughts (though this scares Andrew because it usually results in a new project  :police: ) for a bit.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: October 07, 2011, 08:27:20 AM »
Thanks Kris. Before we opened in mebane, this store was owned by my former business partner and was in Hillsborough. Things were much worse here becuase the location was awful. Nothing available on the main street, even now. Mebane has a pretty active downtown, it has just slowed down the last few months. Many people have lost their jobs and are struggling. Probably the only places I would move to would be Durham or Chapel Hill and I can't afford either one. I'll stick it out here and try my best to make it work.

Offline dahlish

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: October 07, 2011, 09:58:25 PM »

Kimberly - somehow, it seems that a lot of people do better when they have a very full plate - but please keep the head on - even if the feathers are flying around as you do! lo  Wow that's a lot of apples!!!  Put those boys to work!

That's totally me!  I feel like I'm better at doing things when I'm busy.  Which is why I did so much better in school when I worked full time and went to school full time, made me manage my time a lot more efficiently!

Tonight I helped do some last minute decorating for the HOPE dinner at Jax's school tomorrow night!  I think it would have been more fun if I had had any idea of what was going on :D

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #611 on: October 08, 2011, 02:05:17 AM »
Actually I am looking forward to doing the apples by myself with my music and no kids!  I love their help, but sometimes I would really love to be alone with my own thoughts (though this scares Andrew because it usually results in a new project  :police: ) for a bit.
Yeah, I totally get it! lo
I went downtown today and just hung out, crocheting of course, sitting in the park in the middle of downtown!  Didn't actually sell anything but a man did ask me to make him a hat - so we will see if he makes it on Monday to actually buy it!

Teresa - funny - I'm familiar with Durham,  Chapel Hill, & Hillsborough but not Mebane!  I'm sure, like many places there are so many people out of work. 

The "Wall Street protest" made it to Colorado Springs today - we'll see if it grows or just peters out!  It may grow - there are a lot of homeless people who hang out in the park downtown. 
I'm going to be crocheting like crazy the next few days - it's getting chilly here - so I'm hoping I'll sell a few hats at the last Farmers Market on Monday!
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com

Offline dahlish

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: October 08, 2011, 11:08:13 PM »
We went to the Pumpkin Patch today and spent some time with Andy's family!  I'm totally worn out and have to be up early to volunteer at a breakfast tomorrow!  Yawn already!

Offline LisaE

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #613 on: October 10, 2011, 01:26:26 AM »
I've been moving furniture today trying to find a logical setup to work in my living room.  It's amazing what a mess I can make when I set out to clear things.  I have made 3 or 4 new bracelets, now I have to take pictures and post them.  I plan to try my luck at the Henri Bendel "open see" when they look at things from new "designers".  It's a first come event and I am sure the competition is intense.  I am going to try to make some more things that seem unique to me. 

Offline dahlish

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: October 10, 2011, 02:46:10 PM »
I've been moving furniture today trying to find a logical setup to work in my living room.  It's amazing what a mess I can make when I set out to clear things.  I have made 3 or 4 new bracelets, now I have to take pictures and post them.  I plan to try my luck at the Henri Bendel "open see" when they look at things from new "designers".  It's a first come event and I am sure the competition is intense.  I am going to try to make some more things that seem unique to me.

That's so exciting!!!!  Good luck!  :D