Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1526378 times)

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #11955 on: May 03, 2016, 10:16:54 PM »
Update: tumor removed completely without having to remove ovary; fallopian tube removed, uterus repaired and retained.  daughter had difficult recovery from anesthesia, but came home after several hours.  I stayed at her house today to assist with children and general house work (her husband had to go to work).  She is doing well, narcotics for pain.  We will get the histology report next week as to the cancer yes/no idea.

Larissa, if you need another bat present, I just made my wife earrings with star of david in tree of life.  since her maiden name is david, appropriate two ways.  I still have several of these charms.  good shabbot to you and yours.

John :D
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11956 on: May 04, 2016, 09:23:35 AM »
Good to know, John!  And very glad your daughter's doing well.

Work today, housework tonight.  It really needs to stop raining so we can mow the damned lawn.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11957 on: May 04, 2016, 09:26:39 AM »
Excellent news, John!  Thanks for the update!

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #11958 on: May 04, 2016, 05:41:12 PM »
Update: tumor removed completely without having to remove ovary; fallopian tube removed, uterus repaired and retained.  daughter had difficult recovery from anesthesia, but came home after several hours.  I stayed at her house today to assist with children and general house work (her husband had to go to work).  She is doing well, narcotics for pain.  We will get the histology report next week as to the cancer yes/no idea.

Larissa, if you need another bat present, I just made my wife earrings with star of david in tree of life.  since her maiden name is david, appropriate two ways.  I still have several of these charms.  good shabbot to you and yours.

John :D
[/quote

Wonderful news John, Praise God, Monika

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #11959 on: May 04, 2016, 08:24:01 PM »
John- glad to hear the good news about your daughter. And I meant to respond to your post before about pricing...I agree that pricing should be to the standard that includes not only the quality of supplies used but also the maker's skill and experience. I have to remind us(my family) that people who can't do what we do are willing to pay for our talents.

I'm finally finding my way around my new computer a little better (thanks to some help and encouragement from a friend :laugh: ) and am able to make my candle labels again as well as print magnets from my husband's art! The last show went well for a one day event and we're busy getting things ready for the next show which will be three days!

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11960 on: May 16, 2016, 10:29:29 AM »
We all used to be so chatty, and now we are so quiet.  Yet, the old saying goes that true friends comfortably spend long periods of time without saying anything to each other.  And here we are!

I was so excited last night.  I received a notice that there was a new comment on one of my videos on YouTube, so I went to read it and respond.  What I found was that this particular video has over 21,000 views and 135 'thumbs up!'  That certainly doesn't make it viral, but OMG that's a lot of views!  I guess I need to make more YouTube videos!

My wonderful hubby has been looking at Dodge trucks for almost a year now.  He really likes them.  He has been driving his GMC Sierra since we bought it almost-new in 2003 (it had 12,000 miles on it when we bought it).  So I have been looking at them too, trying to find an almost-new one that we could afford.  It's okay if he gets a new ride every 13 or so years....  right?  ;)

Friday, I suggested that we drive to St. George and have dinner at In-n-Out, which he loves, and he jumped on the offer.  When we were almost there, I told him, "It's kind of early for dinner - let's go see if Newby has a truck you might like," which I already knew that they did.  I think that he knew it, too, as soon as I said that.  So there is a nearly-new 2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn sitting in our driveway now and Paul says his face hurts from smiling so much.

Other than that, same stuff different day. 

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11961 on: May 16, 2016, 02:06:19 PM »
Yea!    I love it when things work out right!!!
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11962 on: May 16, 2016, 04:20:31 PM »
Congrats on the new ride!  Eric LOVES his Silverado, though we looked at Dodge too.

The bees and our Kentucky Derby party have just eaten up ALL our time, plus hanging out a few extra days with the friend who flew up from California for the party.

We've been running ourselves ragged with all that, and then this past Saturday did a bee talk and then I did temporary tattoos and he did balloons at a communion party.  It's at the point I was honestly glad to do temp tats instead of face painting because they require less creativity and I'm just that tired.

Lots of yard work yesterday.

E's home today doing work and then checking on some of the bees.  Yesterday we got a new queen into one hive that was queenless after TWO bear attacks, but still had a good population, so hopefully they recover well.  So far, they've been pretty pissed, which is normal for a twice-attacked, queenless hive.

Tonight I've got the Environmental Commission meeting, which I'm not totally keen on (it's tiring!) but I have fun once I'm there.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #11963 on: May 16, 2016, 10:14:27 PM »
Sandi, it's great that you found a new ride. I call my new/used Suburban (enclosed) my truck! We found it last year and it was affordable and has been working great both for hauling the utility trailer and for son to sleep in at shows. Give us a link to your You-tube and you might have a couple of more views ;)

I think we have all been too busy to keep in too close a touch, but yes, quiet time among friends can be comfortable too.

Saw a nice museum exhibit on fiber crafts on Wed. a couple of the quilts reminded me of your work, but I think they were machine quilted, there was weaving ( from rugs to clothing), felting,etc., Well worth the trip to see!

Fri we set up for a three day show, it was cold and rained a little! Sat the wind was blowing off the lake and there was no way to keep warm, a few tents broke down before they blew away and by closing time we decided to do the same! Although there were some shoppers most didn't shop but looked quickly and kept moving to try to stay warm. We made a few sales ,but mostly gave out info on were we'll be for the summer. Sunday (after waking up to snow!) I got a phone call and went back to meet with a lady about a custom order, so show didn't turn out too badly after all :laugh:

At least the next show should be in the 60's-70's instead of 30's!

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11964 on: May 17, 2016, 08:19:07 AM »
Freezing shows are just miserable, Bev - so glad to hear you got a good order out of it!  Here's the link to my Make a Baby Comforter video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0GBPT1rXY0

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11965 on: May 17, 2016, 10:36:35 AM »
No joke, it sucks to be cold!  Years ago we had an indoor show at a school with Reef Botanicals.  Not only were we the highest price point there (and stationed right next to the knockoff perfumes; if people are interested in those, they're highly unlikely to be interested in a $6 bar of all natural soap), but the fair organizer didn't arrange with the school to have any food available (we were in the cafeteria; had the kitchen been open, they could have made a killing on hot dogs and hamburgers!) OR to have the heat on.  It was January.  I spent the entire day in my winter jacket, shivering and with my teeth chattering, and I'm pretty sure we didn't sell a single item.  Nothing short of miserable.

So glad you got a good order out of your show, Bev!

At work today, this time with a cold - runny nose, sore throat, basic stuff - and nothing on the agenda for tonight.  If it doesn't rain we may take out the new kayaks on the lake.

If it does, I think we're back to the Game of Thrones marathon.  :)  And laundry.  And I need to do up the minutes from last night's EC meeting.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #11966 on: May 17, 2016, 08:58:13 PM »
Thanks girls, I'm finally warmed up, and even dried table clothes on the line! It was close to 60 today :laugh:

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11967 on: May 19, 2016, 09:20:29 AM »
Quiet around here! I've been popping in on occasion but haven't really had any comments to post. Still the same old song and dance for me. I sold a handful of jewelry at our yard sale. The weather was not great and many people didn't even bother to get out of their cars. We still did okay-got rid of some stuff that we've had for awhile or just didn't need anymore. I have sorted through my jewelry cases and am planning on donating a whole bunch to the Salvation Army store. I may bring some to Goodwill too. I still have a lot left, so will try to sell more at our next sale whenever that is.
Still trying to sell our NC house. It has been a royal pain you know where. The realtor is marketing it big time and we dropped the price (it's well below assessed value now). I have the very distinct feeling we will end up renting it out for a year or two. After that we will have to do some renovations to the kitchen and master bath (again).  ::)

Still plugging away with updating the current home. Doing small stuff each pay period.  Slowly, but surely it's coming along.
We are finally getting some rain free days and it's warming up. Today I am getting my hair done. I REALLY need this badly. It's been months and it shows.
Craziness has begun in earnest   with the Indy 500 coming up. It's the 100th running, so a lot of extra hoopla. Everything is booked solid. People are renting rooms in their homes and even converted storage sheds for the weekend.
This weekend hubby and son will be in Hickory Hills painting. Hubby's uncle just retired and moved down near Terry's parents. He is mentally challenged and my FIL is his brother. They are painting the place to get it cleaned up and ready to sell.
That about sums it up for now. Have a great day and weekend!

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11968 on: May 19, 2016, 04:21:37 PM »
Had to take Maggie to the vet today for her annual check-up.  Man - she just hates the vet!  Basically, he said, "She's terrific!  That will be $130."  What we do for our critters....

After working on it for three days, my latest YouTube video is up.  Here's the link if you are interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq6_Qz8Bh2Q

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11969 on: May 20, 2016, 05:02:57 AM »
Well we've been in the middle of redoing our kitchen this last month. This weekend is installing the counters, so that is the last major step other than the back splash. It is always a hassle to redo kitchens as it affects the whole house and we are doing all the work ourselves so you only can get so much done. Anyway, hope all is well with everyone!