Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1530567 times)

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #11940 on: April 18, 2016, 09:13:02 PM »
Cute kitten, but  they grow up so fast!  enjoy your new baby Monika.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #11941 on: April 19, 2016, 04:58:38 AM »
Cute kitten, but  they grow up so fast!  enjoy your new baby Monika.

Thanks Bev.....he is very enjoyable, fearless, gives kisses already nose to nose, knows his name already and other then that he is a kitten, play, play play....
Larissa I know they grow up quickly, just like my Alex, he is in his 12th year, I got a kitten hoping that he can raise him and whip him in shape so they will get along and not an adult cat this time. Hope my thoughts on this turn out  just right.
Usually I would get an adult cat, as no one wants them, everyone wants a kitten, but that didn't work out so good in the long run. We will see....Have a good day all....

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11942 on: April 19, 2016, 11:57:39 AM »
My  son and dil  in Houston  have a basset   named Molly    so when a stray tabby came to their house on Christmas eve a few years ago  grandgirl  said let's name it Mary.
As it turned out on the first trip to the vet  Mary  turned out to be a boy cat named Merry,  because he moved in at Christmas time.
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #11943 on: April 19, 2016, 05:38:21 PM »
My  son and dil  in Houston  have a basset   named Molly    so when a stray tabby came to their house on Christmas eve a few years ago  grandgirl  said let's name it Mary.
As it turned out on the first trip to the vet  Mary  turned out to be a boy cat named Merry,  because he moved in at Christmas time.

Hahahaha.....that was to funny

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11944 on: April 21, 2016, 04:56:58 PM »
Ha, cool!

Been going crazy with the bees.  Eric and I actually took the day off yesterday to install hives and stands in a zillion different new locations, including the initial We Bee-lieve location in Passaic.  It was an amazing day out in the sun with tons of exercise.

Then today I got a call that one of the hives a friend is hosting for us is swarming.  We knew it was close, and were planning to split the hives Sunday as soon as we could, but there are only so many hours of daylight in a day!  So they beat us to it.  Eric is over there now and I'm hoping he can capture them back.  They stick around for anything from a couple hours to a couple days, so they could be there or gone.  And of course he had to be in NY today, not working from home.  Why would they pick a more convenient day?

Tonight we're actually moving two hives that need to be in a new location, and one of 'em is the one that swarmed.  At least it'll be lighter to move!  LOL

And then I really need to do laundry.  I need my face painting shirt for Saturday when I do Tribeca for 8 hours again.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11945 on: April 28, 2016, 10:43:16 PM »
It has been SO quiet here lately!  Everyone must be busy, which is good!

We had a pretty great show last Saturday - HOORAY!  So this week I am restocking.  It always amazes me what a mess I make when making FurPets¬©!

Hope everyone is well and happy!

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11946 on: April 29, 2016, 05:21:53 AM »
Yea, we've been swamped. My real job is just piles and piles of never ending work. We are tearing up the kitchen in our house and redoing it ourselves and I still didn't finish my project of redoing the garage. So we have 2 major projects going on at once. Glad you had a great show!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11947 on: April 29, 2016, 02:10:39 PM »
Glad you had a great show, Sandi!

Busy doesn't even begin to cover it.  Since last Wednesday (April 20), we have had swarms and bee emergencies EVERY DAY except yesterday when we did our first bee talk for a girl scout group.  It was SO FUN!  And such a great break from the running around like crazy people.

Of course, the running around means we haven't been able to do 1/10 of the stuff we need to do.  We've got a communion to attend tomorrow after doing hive inspections and getting the yard in shape, which means tonight we need to make sure we have outfits to wear & either go shopping or to the cleaners.  Then we have to do laundry, and start cleaning up the yard and house for the Derby party on 5/7.  It's all crazy.  We're going to collapse.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #11948 on: April 29, 2016, 09:12:42 PM »
Sandi, Glad to hear you had a good show, ours is tomorrow and we are actually/finally almost packed for it! Having to restock is always a good sign ;)

Larissa- sounds like you are a busy bee :laugh:

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11949 on: May 01, 2016, 04:39:02 AM »
General Comments on Life:

1.  Raised my prices on all  my jewelry pieces that are available at the local "farmer's"
market every Saturday morning.  Now I am getting enough for each piece that I am not losing money.  Semi amazingly, my sales have increased, during the first month (April) I netted more total that all sales for the previous two years.  Which is the point to make for all crafters....don't undervalue your work.  Retail jewelry stores prices their commercially obtained (they usually price their pieces at 400% of their cost of purchasing at wholesale) jewelry, they don't manufacture, they just sell stuff made by a commercial production company.  The jewelers in the store don't know how to evaluate the pieces that they sell, nor do  they know how to identify stones, etc.  They just say over and over whatever description came with the piece.

2.  Recent looking at offerings by various stores here on HAF, I find great disappointment in the quality of the photographs showing the work.  The pictures are poorly cropped, labeled, etc.  The pictures are blurry.  The pieces are very difficult to see as the background is so busy,. it distracts from the ability to see what the piece is actually like.  Folk, if you need a good photo editing program, download GIMP.  GIMP is open source programming (FREE) and rivals the best commercially available editing programs.  Editing does not improve the quality of the image.  If it is gargbage before editing, it will just be well cropped garbage after editing. 

3.  My youngest daughter gave birth to a girl about three weeks ago.  Meadow is a fantastic young girl, and is growing up rapidly.  Now the bad news, my daughter was discovered to have a large tumor on her right ovary, which has also engulfed the right Fallopian tube.  Tomorrow, she will have the tumor removed, and possibly a total hysterectomy at the same time.  We will find out after the surgery if the tumor is cancerous and also if malignent and if it has metastisized.  I will be spending the entire day at the surgery waiting room (kindle in hand along with some hard back books) waiting for her to be discharged from recovery room.   :(

4.  My wife had bilateral cataract surgeries....Now she can see.  She does have prescription bifocals, but she can read close up and far away.  Both were impossible for the past several years.  She is doing well since having a STENT placed in her right coronary artery two years ago.  Now we must contend with her increasing neuropathy which is manifesting itself in frequent falls which cause multiple superficial contusions, and sprained joints causing much pain.

The family problems are the primary cause of my closing my shop here, I just plain don't have the time to do the correct thing in marketing, etc. to  make this worthwhile.  I wholeheartedly supoort HAF and recommend it to multiple fellow crafters frequently.  I don't keep  track of who actually follows up on my recommendation. 

So much for my version of Peyton Place (old soap opera show on TV).  May all of you have great times and make plenty of your craft.  As much as possible, I will still be available here to assist people with HAF and in general selling on the internet.  If you need stones/gems identified, I will do that for our members.  Can't be done from picture, you will need to  send the stone/gem to me so  I can examine and test it in my laboratory.  You will see me here on the forum, I can do this at 0500 in the morning without a problem; personal medical problem with pain in right shoulder precludes sleeping without drugs.

TTFN,

John
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #11950 on: May 01, 2016, 05:45:18 AM »
John, as always my prayers have been with you and still will be with you. You got a lot on your plate.

Take care of yourself so you can assist your family, much love and hugs
Monika

P.S. Many have said that before we need to raise our prices, glad yours worked well

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11951 on: May 01, 2016, 08:13:50 AM »
Vaya con Dios, John.  Glad you will still be with us.

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11952 on: May 01, 2016, 10:39:54 AM »
John ....   I am glad you saw fit to raise your prices....    I could never do what you do  but if I could  it would be expensive!  During the  70s  I  had one of my  dolls in a garage sale  and an elderly chauvinist  said  he'd give me 10 dollars  for that little old rag dog.  I fired back and said  he'd give me 20  or leave her sitting there.   Don't  underestimate  your  talent  or your time and money.  I have a sarcastic streak  which  you probably  don't  have so I'm sure you would be more gracious than I.
The man  turned on his heel  and left.   My neighbor  who was  having her own sale  said she'd  love to be able to do that.
My sister told me the crafters in her church  set an hourly price on their time,  plus materials and charged 3 times that total.  I don't know if that  will work  for you.  Whatever you or any other of the  talented  people here decide to charge is fine.   I love  getting stuff not made in a sweat shop.
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11953 on: May 02, 2016, 10:50:02 AM »
John, I have every possible limb crossed that everyone in your family gets healthy as quickly as possible.  Totally understandable that you've got bigger things on your plate than promoting an online shop.

I also agree 100% with the photos.  Is it bad if I want to reach through the computer and shake some of these shop owners?  I mean, my FOM photos aren't perfect (the RB ones are because E did the editing and he's amazing), but at least I try really hard to get it right.  I often take 20 photos of one thing!

And I agree on pricing.  I need a bat mitzvah gift for a coworker's daughter later this month.  Of course I went to the HAFshop first.  I don't know the girl well, but I do know that (1) she's not very girly, so I didn't want anything with stones or too ornate, (2) she does have pierced ears, as evidenced by photos on her dad's Facebook timeline, and (3) they have two dogs that she ADORES.  I didn't want to spend peanuts, so anything under a certain amount, I immediately passed over as "too cheap" for a gift.  Maybe it would be an amazing piece, but I didn't even consider it.  I'm not looking for flea market wares.

I settled on a pair of earrings from a longstanding shop here, nicilaskin.  I've always loved her stuff from her awesome photos, and she's got a pair of earrings in sterling that have paw prints!  Perfect.

---

Anyway, life still hasn't calmed down.  We did beekeeping stuff on Saturday because it was the one nice day of the weekend, but had to quit no later than 3 to get changed and gussied up to go to our friends' son's communion celebration. 

It was really fun, and we fortuitously sat at a table that was perfect for us.  Everyone was fun and great to talk to, we became Facebook friends with four of them so we can stay in touch and maybe hang out.  And our friend's brother was at our table... he's got a knee injury that won't let him drive a rig the way he did before, so he's started cleaning houses.  He lives two towns away from us, and with everything else we do, house cleaning always falls to last, so having him come once a month would be amazing for us... and income for him.  Perfect!  AND his wife works in a school system where there's a whole program for runaways and at-risk kids, which would be perfect for We Bee-lieve! 

Yesterday I did temporary tattoos & face painting at a communion and a baptism, while E ran errands and did some house cleaning.

Today is work and I need to hit Sears for vacuum bags, because we're out and in desperate need of more.  Then back to cleaning.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11954 on: May 03, 2016, 10:19:19 AM »
Well, I'm glad E picked up the vac bags during the day, because we had time for nothing that was planned last night.  Another beekeeper in our town had one of her hives swarm, so our club prez put her in touch with Eric and we went to help her get it back.  After our success, we hung out for a glass of wine with her & her husband, and ended up with new friends, which is cool.

Then we headed to Lowe's for a saw, because Eric has taken up knifemaking.  He's working on his first paring knife right now.  By the time we got home, all I had energy for was sitting, and E went down to the basement to work on the knife.

So TODAY, work and then cleaning house.  And we really need to get a couple of thank you notes out to some We Bee-lieve donors.  The boss is in the NY office today, so I get to listen to music, so that's cool.