Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1617132 times)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #11895 on: March 24, 2016, 12:10:48 PM »
But I know it's there & sending a pro-bee message!   ;D

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11896 on: March 25, 2016, 12:31:14 PM »
Halloo!  So after I was a hit as a face painter at the Purim party yesterday, my picture frame was also a total hit so far (I sent a photo to the woman who commissioned it, and she's picking it up today, so Eric will have to tell me what she says once she sees it in person).  She's sooooooooooooooo excited.

I blogged it (http://njfacepainter.blogspot.com/2016/03/some-more-fun-and-new-service.html), and also added it as a new service to my face painting website at http://njfacepainter.com.

Today I'm working 9:15 to 5:15 at the boss' request, instead of 10-6, so boo for getting up early, but yay for getting out early!  Tonight I'm baking hamantashen (I'm a little late, I know, Purim ends tonight) to bring to poker night tomorrow night.  And I need to do laundry.  That's about it... except that I got to wear my new jacket today!

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11897 on: March 25, 2016, 07:12:31 PM »
Love the picture frame, Larissa!  It looks terrific!

My sewing machine and I have been nearly inseparable for the last 2.5 days.  I've attached a picture of the back of the face of the quilt - the part that no one else will see, since it will be inside, against the batting.  Also attached is the front and a close up of one appliquéd butterfly, so that you can see the detail in the print background.  It's going on the quilt frame next, but that probably won't happen until Monday.

Have a great Easter weekend everyone!

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11898 on: March 25, 2016, 08:03:18 PM »
Sandi  and Larissa  and  all others    You are soooooo   talented!   I'm glad I wandered into this group!
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11899 on: March 26, 2016, 11:48:40 AM »
  Thank you, MsMartyD!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11900 on: March 28, 2016, 11:12:48 AM »
Thanks, guys!

Sandi, that quilt is beyond gorgeous.

Today is my 7 year wedding anniversary.  We're both working (me at the office, Eric at home), and then E is cooking us a nice dinner.

We spent the weekend doing things we love... Friday night we just hung out (I didn't bake the hamantashen I planned because I just wasn't feeling it), and then Saturday morning we drove up to the bee supply shop with our new-beek friend to pick up stuff we all needed.  Got lunch, and then went to the quail farm to pick out the six NEW members of our family - 5 hens and a rooster of QUAIL!  We got a tuxedo rooster we named Aldean, and the hens - a tuxedo (Aretha), a golden (Carrie), a rosetta (Ella), a white (Taylor), and a fawn (Tina).  They're SO CUTE!  They're just startign to lay and we've already got two eggs already.  So tiny and pretty!  And I was reading up on quail eggs; they're insanely good for you.  Eric modified a rabbit hutch he bought off Craigslist as their coop, and it's working out really well.

Saturday night I went to poker night & lost, but had a blast.

Sunday our new-beek friend came over & I stained hive boxes while Eric taught her how to put them & the beeswax frames together.  We inspected 8 of the 10 active hives (found 7 to be in great health & ready to split; one questionable), and she got to help us out, which was great for her.  Cleaned the chicken coop, guinea pig cage, and some of the house, so it was a really productive weekend, spent doing what we love to do.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11901 on: March 28, 2016, 11:42:05 AM »
Thanks, Larissa!  Love your quail!!!  I don't understand why you got a rooster, though.  Do you want baby quail?

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11902 on: March 28, 2016, 12:02:38 PM »
Yup!  We can't have a chicken rooster because of the town's noise ordinance, but we can have a quail rooster because they're quieter than even bluejays (which abound in our area).  So we can breed more quail for ourselves, for sale, and for (gulp) "processing" and use/sale as meat.  We won't be naming ones we're not keeping.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11903 on: March 28, 2016, 12:04:23 PM »
I've come to think that you are living about 150 years too late!  You should have been a pioneer/settler!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11904 on: March 28, 2016, 01:58:25 PM »
I considered that... but then realized that the resurgence of supporting local and trying to eat real food & be self-sufficient in today's day & age is actually perfect for me.  I'm too high maintenance in terms of electricity and real stoves/ovens, and clothing, running water, and other conveniences.   ;)

In fact, our new-beek friend (Carol) and I were discussing this Sunday when she was over.  She's got this idea of forming kind of a local conglomerate of people with a central "text or email for availability" and so if someone wants honey, we're all available to see if we have a supply.  Same with chicken eggs, quail eggs, quail, garlic, tomatoes, mushrooms... whatever we're doing/growing/raising... people can contact us as a group and see who's got what.  Like a group CSA on demand rather than set from the beginning.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11905 on: March 29, 2016, 05:42:48 AM »
I've come to think that you are living about 150 years too late!  You should have been a pioneer/settler!

Have you seen the settler commercials for dish?
They're hilarious.
I'm ready to homestead, when Kimberly and I retire, we are buying acreage in the mountains and getting away from the crazies out there! might have to call Larissa in to help with the set up LOL

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11906 on: March 29, 2016, 09:00:49 AM »
I  live those  commercials!!!!!
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11907 on: March 29, 2016, 09:02:45 AM »
I  LOVE   those commercials.....    One day  I'll learn to type and you folks won't have to settle for my crummy typing!
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11908 on: March 29, 2016, 09:33:43 AM »
Those commercials are hilarious; the only one that bothers us is the bit about the faceless doll, because that's a real Amish thing and for religious reasons, so it's kind of insulting to say one would have to "settle" for it.  Other than that, though, they're awesome.

Andrew, I'll try to become an expert before you get there so I can help!  Be happy to!

Work today, then going to a town ladies' night tonight.  Should be fun.

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11909 on: March 29, 2016, 10:11:20 AM »
I wasn't   aware of any of that,  Larissa
Thanks
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com