Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1530636 times)

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #11865 on: February 29, 2016, 06:44:49 AM »
Lovely work Sandi!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11866 on: February 29, 2016, 12:47:10 PM »
Sandi, it's beautiful!

LOL, Bev, I want to try the maple-on-snow candy, but we don't have snow!  Theoretically, we're supposed to get a bit on Sunday.  It'll be less than an inch, but if it happens and we get enough that the grass is covered, I'm definitely going to take some syrup out and try it.  I'll take pix!

Got a ton done over the weekend, including glitter tattoos & henna at a Sweet 16 on Saturday night.  Also boiled down a bunch more syrup, finished feeding/treating the last two beehives, did a majority of a deep clean on the house, helped Eric smoke a pork butt & brisket, hung out with some friends, baked a maple syrup pie, and made creme fraiche to go with it.  We're having friends over to watch the election results on Tuesday, so the pie will be served then.

Today is work and more cleaning, nothing really special.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11867 on: February 29, 2016, 12:51:41 PM »
Thanks so much. I am happy with the results too... And the reminder to myself about over doing it!

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #11868 on: February 29, 2016, 06:36:13 PM »
Larissa. don't pour your lovely syrup on the ground, take snow and pack it into a pan (think dish pan size), cook your syrup till it forms a thread and then drizzle it on the packed snow, with the snow packed, you can resurface it and pour seconds and even thirds :laugh: ...we've got snow if you need some :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11869 on: February 29, 2016, 08:25:49 PM »
This reminded me of the "Snow Cream"  Mama used to make.    We would place a mixing bowl  outside on days  when heavy  snow was predicted.  She  would then mix  a small amount of sugar and vanilla flavoring  into it.    Years later my sister and I were  going  to show  her daughter (My eldest was an infant at the time)  how to make  snow cream.   We placed a bowl outside to catch  the  primary ingredient.   When we went  back  the bowl was gone.  We had to scrounge around  and wreck  the snowfall all over the yard by  scooping it up.  We  got our snow  cream....   my sis and I were not ones to let  petty thievery  deter us.
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11870 on: February 29, 2016, 09:14:27 PM »
great story, MsMartyD!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11871 on: March 01, 2016, 09:43:47 AM »
That IS a great story, Marty, and I'm really glad the theft didn't deter you, but it really makes me angry!  I really don't know where people get off being so disrespectful.

LOL, Bev, that's a much better idea!  And a much easier way to have enough snow to make the candy!  We'll see if it's even gatherable on Sunday.  At any rate, we do want to do the other sort of maple candy that you boil down & put in molds.  I have a ton of chocolate molds, so I need to go through and see what I like.

Meanwhile, today I'm working & tonight we're having some people over to watch the election results roll in.  It's so weird, we've never thrown election parties before, and now this is our second time having people over for a primary.  We'll order pizzas and serve my maple syrup pie. 

Today promises to be an "interesting" day in the office.  Boss is already on a rampage because he procrastinated on stuff that's due immediately.  Sigh.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #11872 on: March 01, 2016, 07:38:31 PM »
Larissa, my Mom used to make the candy too, only without molds, just whipping the boiled syrup until it turned light colored and dropping it on waxed paper to harden :laugh: The memories are as great as the candy was =pure sugar!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11873 on: March 02, 2016, 12:46:20 PM »
Yup, that's one of the "recipes" (is it still a recipe when it's only one ingredient?) I have & want to try:  http://www.littlehouseliving.com/maple-syrup-candy-recipe.html

Sounds amazing.

The pie was a hit last night (and the leftovers today in the office), and we had fun hanging out with friends.

Today the day started with servers going down before it even hit 9 a.m. so Eric was up and running for work before the day officially started.  Meanwhile, I tried to go put air in my tires, and one was pretty much flat as a pancake and wouldn't take air, so I'm now the not-so-proud owner of two new tires.  Thankfully, my mechanic isn't far from the gas station where I was trying to fill them, so the car and I limped over there and got it done, which got me into the office 1.25 hours late.  Blergh.

Tonight I have my face painting guild meeting, and I'm looking forward to this instructor.  It's the guy I thought was teaching last month and was disappointed when I realized... he's going to teach us how to do all different designs as tribals.  I like an outside-the-box concept like that.  And he really is the king of tribal designs.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11874 on: March 08, 2016, 12:10:06 PM »
Hey, all!  Been really tired and not online a lot lately when I'm home as a result.

Anyway, things are going well, except of course as soon as they are, something has to happen, so Eric's truck is in the shop with a wonky throttle sensor (which is deemed part of the fuel system, despite also being electrical and engine... and of course the fuel system is the ONE thing not covered under the extended warranty).  Sigh.  He should be getting that back today.

On Saturday we went to a really fun housewarming party & made some new friends, and on Sunday, Eric and I worked as part of a team at a JCC Purim party (him doing balloons, me doing temporary tattoos).  That was fun, but man was it exhausting.  At least now he got a feel for how I am after the Tribeca Film Festival - and this was only 2 hours, Tribeca is 8!

Went to the dentist this morning, and I always feel good after a pro cleaning.  The rest of today is just work and home, since thankfully the mechanic will be dropping off the truck. 

And then I've got to wrap the last bit of the baby gifts for our friends' new baby.  I'm really excited about it; we're going to meet the baby on Sunday and I've already wrapped up the painting I did (this was that "purple jungle" one I did a while back), as one of the outfits from the registry (a Burt's Bees one with a big ol' bee on the front, of course!) and a Burt's Bees bee rattle that wasn't on the registry, just 'cause.  And then I see on our Amazon account that the book I ordered is out for delivery today - Honey Bees Wear Yellow Pants.  It's a phenomenal, completely factual and informative book about the difference between bees and wasps (the "yellow pants" are pollen).  I'm buying it as part of every baby present I ever buy again; it's that good.  Highly, highly recommend.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11875 on: March 10, 2016, 09:04:02 AM »
Looking forward to Spring, it will be 80 here today!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11876 on: March 10, 2016, 09:09:00 AM »
You just made me look and realize it'll be that high here today too!  Wheeeeeeeeeeee!

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11877 on: March 10, 2016, 08:35:36 PM »
Enjoying 11th grandchild; Meadow Grace Scott entered the world Monday 3/7 at 1008 hours weighing 7lbs 6ozs; making her the lightest baby in that family.  The other three were all over 8 pounds.  Don't have a picture on the internet yet, all are on my phone.
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11878 on: March 10, 2016, 08:40:09 PM »
Congratulations, John! Love the name

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11879 on: March 11, 2016, 11:07:50 AM »
Congrats!  My sister and I were both over 8 lbs too.  And I love the name Meadow!

I'm so glad it's Friday; I've had to get up earlier than normal 3 days this week (Monday to work an hour early, Tuesday for a dentist appointment, and Wednesday for the allergist), and I'm tired!

Nothing much going on after work today, either, maybe laundry.  I plan to enjoy the "night off."