Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1530614 times)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #11850 on: February 24, 2016, 03:40:50 PM »
OMG, that's gorgeous!

It's not like my honeycake.  Sweeter and more soaked in the syrup.  The maple syrup with some butter melted in go in the bottom of the pan, and the cake batter spooned in on top before baking, so it's more wet on the bottom half where the maple soaks in, and more try on top.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11851 on: February 24, 2016, 04:42:25 PM »
Love the bench, Teresa!

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #11852 on: February 24, 2016, 06:49:01 PM »
Very nice bench Teresa (or should we be addressing Mr. Teresa?)

I spent today at weaving guild, great group with so much knowledge, and I have a lot to learn from them. Been attempting to make regular posts on my blog (at least twice a week with pictures (that's the part that sometimes slows me down) Between spinning, knitting, crochetting, labeling, and such, I think the days are getting shorter (I need some of Larissa's pep!

Stay warm everyone and keep an eye on the storms (it looks like the worst of it is going to be south of us.)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11853 on: February 24, 2016, 08:20:20 PM »
Teresa, Eric wants to know sizes and prices of the cutting boards.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11854 on: February 25, 2016, 09:29:23 AM »
OMG, that's gorgeous!

It's not like my honeycake.  Sweeter and more soaked in the syrup.  The maple syrup with some butter melted in go in the bottom of the pan, and the cake batter spooned in on top before baking, so it's more wet on the bottom half where the maple soaks in, and more try on top.

It sounds a lot like the Pineapple Upside Down Cake my Mom used to make. I'll let Terry know you like his bench and about the cutting boards. We will be gone this weekend so they probably won't be done for a little bit yet.

Thanks Bev and Sandi. I'll let Mr. Teresa know you like his bench. (His name is Terry) :)
 Sounds like you have been busy, busy, busy Bev! Keeping a blog can be hard. I have to say that I don't miss it. 
Sandi, I know you always have something going on! I have not been so motivated with the exception of working on this house. I will starting to paint ceilings here pretty quick. They are all textured and not a bad pattern so we'll keep them. At least it's not popcorn!!! I think they had a smoker here at some time since they all have a yellowish tint to them. It's either that or they never painted them.

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11855 on: February 25, 2016, 12:24:37 PM »
Yeah...yard work....if not for the last three/four weeks on monsoon rains/wind, I have to mow the grass/weeds, but the ground is so wet, the tires on the mower sink in.  Now, since the winds yesterday, I will  have to  pick up a whole pile of limbs that decided to leave the maple and oak trees; then mow the green stuff.  My iris patches have started sprouting new leaves for this year, can't wait, as this is the third year for the patches and I can see where new bulbs have germinated, so many more beautiful flowers.

11th grandchild (Meadow Grace) is due in three weeks, when she goes to hospital, I will go to  their house to care for the other kids.

john
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11856 on: February 25, 2016, 02:24:19 PM »
Good to hear from you, John!

So here's my sad story.....

Yesterday, working on my quilt, I noticed a tiny - I mean tiny - flaw in the water material about 4 inches above the bottom of the quilt.  It wasn't damaged - it just wasn't perfect.  So I decided to put an isthmus in the bottom of the stream/river.  No big deal, right?

To do this, I had to rip out some of the quilting I had already done, remove part of the frame material and appliqué my isthmus into the river.  Fortunately, I had a small piece of the correct material, as I decided it needed to match the shoreline on either side of the water.  So I cut the isthmus out once, twice, three times and still wasn't happy.  Then I was down to enough fabric to cut one more only.  The fourth try was good.

I got the isthmus placed in the river, and went to appliqué it down and found that I was completely out of the correct color of thread.  So into town I go to get the right color.

I didn't give myself much working room to appliqué, so that got done numerous times until I was happy.  And of course, it's tough to press the new work because if I got too close to the batting, it would melt.  Finally, I was ready to put the frame material back on, which took two tries since it was tough to sew dead straight with the back/batting pulled out of the way.

This started at about 10:30 yesterday morning.  At 4:15, I was ready to press the frame material so that I had a nice crease all along the bottom.  After letting the iron heat, I juggled the whole thing so as only to press the face material, and when I did, my iron left some sort of oil stain on the frame material right between two different colors.  So I hung the quilt up and left it until this morning.

After thoroughly scrubbing the sole plate on the iron, I cut new frame material pieces.  Of course these need to be joined to what is already there, and it's sewn on an angle.  That meant I needed to remove an extra foot of frame material from the quilt so that I could get it in the sewing machine at just the perfect angle.

I finally, finally got the quilt back on the quilt frame about 20 minutes ago.  With any luck, it will be completely quilted by the end of today.

The moral of the story....................................  it wasn't broken and I fixed it!

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11857 on: February 25, 2016, 02:37:28 PM »
I don't know what your   surface  plate on your  iron is but mine is stainless and I just tear into it with a Brillo  pad  to remove all that spray starch build up.    Works like a charm.
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11858 on: February 25, 2016, 02:39:37 PM »
I hit it with a teflon scrubby, MsMartyD and it that worked!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11859 on: February 26, 2016, 10:35:17 AM »
John, congrats on the new granddaughter - I love the name Meadow!  I love irises too, SO MUCH.  Be sure to post photos once they bloom!  The only ones we've got are in the pond, but they're awesome and should be expanding this spring/summer too.

Sandi, I can't believe all that work you've put in.  I seriously appreciate a perfectionist.  One day, when we have the cash and the dogs stop eating anything with batting, I WILL own one of your quilts.  It's one of my goals.

For today, though, my goal is just to get through the workday & do a bunch of laundry tonight.

Last night I went to the house of a family I'm working for Saturday night to pre-henna and white henna them.  The daughter is having her Sweet 16 Saturday & I'm doing henna and glitter tattoos at the party, but since they want to be able to host and not have to keep their hands still until the paste dries, they had me over last night to do the family - the honoree, her 3 brothers, her mom, and two aunts.  It was a blast, and I was paid for my extra time, so that was awesome.  Really nice family, and really interesting.  They're Arabic, but Catholic Arabic.. with one side from Jordan & the other from Israel.

Anyway, so Saturday night I'll be at the Moroccan-themed Sweet 16 having a great time doing my thing.  And Sunday night we're going to an Oscar party that our friends throw every year, so I'm planning to try baking a maple syrup pie recipe I found on Epicurious.  Sounds really good!

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11860 on: February 26, 2016, 01:13:21 PM »
Thanks, Larissa!  There's such a fine line between "perfectionist" and "compulsive idiot!"

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11861 on: February 26, 2016, 03:26:02 PM »
Haha, it's true!

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #11862 on: February 27, 2016, 07:36:39 PM »
Sandi I love your saying "It wasn't broke and I fixed it" ...what a lot of work, now I know why I haven't attempted a quilt yet!

John, have fun with the grand-kids and good to see you here again.

Larissa, Maple anything sounds delicious...have you made the traditional sugar on snow yet?

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11863 on: February 27, 2016, 08:25:46 PM »
Good job,  Sandi!    When can we see a pic?
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11864 on: February 28, 2016, 01:14:55 AM »
Good job,  Sandi!    When can we see a pic?

Thanks so much, everyone!