Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1527219 times)

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #11820 on: February 05, 2016, 10:33:17 AM »
If it snows  all day  you  might have to postpone the laundry till  the snow  stops and then melts  or gets  moved by the snow  plow.   

www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11821 on: February 05, 2016, 10:35:40 AM »
LOL, only if we lose power.  Washer & dryer is in our basement.  As it is, technically I don't *need* to do laundry tonight, we have enough clothes.  But I want my "Bees First" shirt, which I wore Wednesday, to wear the the Superbowl party we're attending on Sunday, so I need to wash it.  I love my bee-related shirts, because they always start conversations.  ;)

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11822 on: February 05, 2016, 10:48:26 AM »
I have a " stand by" option.....    Put it in the dryer with  a dryer sheet for just a few minutes.
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11823 on: February 07, 2016, 01:21:52 PM »
Wow Larissa, I am impressed! I LOVE the" We Bee-Lieve" idea! So awesome on many levels!!! Sounds like it's moving along great already, but I will wish you both luck anyway!  And the mushroom thing sounds pretty phenomenal as well. I assume you are just servicing your immediate area and not shipping them all over.  They can be pretty delicate things and I would think shipping would be a challenge. Of course I could be totally off base too.  :P

We've had several hundred views of our NC house and 2 showings already. Seems we also sprung a leak in the kitchen so we will need to arrange for a plumber to come and replace the shut off valve for the hot water in the sink. I'm so glad my friend has been able to go and check on things for us. It sure is a huge help.  I am so over this whole thing and want this place to just get sold. Buyers are knit picking about the paint again although it is all repainted. I just don't know what these people expect though I suspect they want a "perfect"house. Even if you buy brand new, that doesn't happen. Anyway, I am trying my best to stay positive since this has only just started again.

It's been a gorgeous weekend  with above normal temps and sunshine. Rain is coming and then changing to snow. Then the frigid air moves in for a few days. This has been a quiet winter so far but I am so looking forward to spring. I suspect that most people are all over the country.

Enjoy the big game today!Should be a good one.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11824 on: February 07, 2016, 03:03:30 PM »
Thanks!  We're really excited about We Bee-Lieve too.

The shrooms so far are local.  If we dehydrate them, we can ship them, but we need to look into whether that's enough alteration to require a commercial kitchen, or whether that can be done at home.  NJ has no cottage food laws, and doesn't allow ANYTHING from a home kitchen.  A lot of people flout the law & still do it, but we're not those people.

So glad you're getting lots of house views.  People are nuts if they're worried about paint color.  I'm so glad my parents taught me to look at structure, not cosmetics. It's ridiculous.

We did a ton of mushroom transfers yesterday & made a bunch more spawn and fruiting bags.  And I got another coloring page into Fabric of my Mind.
And then late yesterday & this morning, we tapped all the viable maple trees we could find in our yard.  We'd ordered 10 taps and were able to use 6.  The sap is already running well, so we should be able to start boiling it for maple syrup in a week.  :)

After that, I baked a lemon cake and have a banana bread in the oven for the Superbowl party we're attending today. 

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11825 on: February 09, 2016, 05:29:56 PM »
The tap is so cool, Larissa!

I know I have been missing in action.  We had a water heater disaster.  Since the water heater had been in since 1997, it really owed us nothing.  But, still.  We were able to get everything we needed at the Home Depot - we were afraid they wouldn't have one in stock, and we needed to repair the floor.  We ended up replacing the floor, since that's who we are.  Back when we bought this house in 1998, the idiot realtor left the water on and the heat off!  When we did our home buyer's inspection, we had the water turned on to check for leaks, and they were literally EVERYWHERE!!!!!  This is mountain cold country and it was February.  So we revised our offer to include replumbing the entire house at the sellers expense.  I don't actually know who paid the $3700 to have the work done (might have been the idiot realtor who caused the issue in the first place).  In any event, it was done by a licensed plumber.

What we found out when we replaced the water heater was that the licensed plumber had plumbed the water heater backwards!  Cold water goes in the bottom and hot water comes out the top; but for all these years, our water heater had been flowing backwards.  It is just amazing that it lasted as long as it did.  It never, EVER occurred to us to check this - why should we?  Ho-hum....  So a project that should have taken us an afternoon or so took us four DAYS.   grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..................

Other than that, same stuff different day.  It's beautiful here today - almost 50 degrees.  I'm working on a quilt (what else is  new).  So here's a picture.  Its name is Cars and Trucks...  the back of it is the trucks part.

Have a great evening everyone!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 11:14:33 AM by iKnitQuiltSew »

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #11826 on: February 10, 2016, 11:16:19 AM »
Awesome quilt Sandi! Sorry about the water stuff. So far we haven't anything that bad, though in the back of my head I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Larissa, I am a bit surprised that the sap is running already. Seems a tad early, but given how weird the weather has been, I think everything is confused.

Very cold here today so walking is hard. We had a short one this morning. Will go again after lunch for another short one.
I've been sorting through all of my jewelry and pulled a bunch out of my shop. We have a community yard sale in May so I want to put out as much as I can and hopefully get rid of some. Still on the fence about whether or not to keep my shop open. It's hard to let go, but my lack of motivation isn't helping. Sales are not there and that makes it hard to feel compelled to do anything. Maybe I need a change of projects.

I have to go let the girls back in since they are barking. So cold!! Later!

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11827 on: February 11, 2016, 08:49:37 AM »
Well we are back from our Vegas vacation, work related really. Now just trying to dig out from a pile of work here that I couldn't do while away. Glad everyone is doing well!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11828 on: February 11, 2016, 03:17:52 PM »
Oh, I love Vegas!

Sandi, I can't believe what that plumber did, crazy!  I love that quilt, as usual.  Someday I'll have enough cash to shell out for one of your quilts.  'Til then, I'll just keep drooling and pointing other people your way.

Teresa, I was reading a bunch about the maple, and up in Vermont commercial syrup producers are having a crazy time of it.  The mostly warm weather has really started the season early, and they're scrambling to get it together because if spring comes early they'll lose the tail end of the season.  Meanwhile, now we've got a bitter cold snap, so of course after a couple days of the sap running like crazy, it's slowed down a ton & we didn't get much yesterday by comparison.  It's supposed to be highs in the teens here through the weekend, and then Monday about 30 and 47 Tuesday & the 40s for several days after that.  So we should get a bunch then.  Meanwhile, cold or not, E's got to boil down what we've got so far this weekend, I think, because it'll go bad if he doesn't. 

Not much of note since Superbowl; we're looking forward to the Democratic debate tonight.  I want to see how the dynamic changes since Iowa & New Hampshire!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11829 on: February 12, 2016, 01:02:23 PM »
Yay, Friday!

Not much going on tonight other than laundry.  Over the weekend, Eric's going to boil down sap into maple syrup, while I head to my yearly doc appointment & then face paint for two hours at a birthday.  He'll also help a friend fix his broken toilet tank, and he'll cook us Valentine's Day dinner while I plan to make rice pudding for dessert.  That's about it!

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #11830 on: February 13, 2016, 01:54:57 PM »
Minus 20 here this morning, but now in the +teens ::) , I guess it's a heat wave?
I've been working on filling out show applications and making some of the more boring inventory, but slowly achieving
the goals I set for the amount of knitting and crocheting done each week. Struggling to keep blogging more or less regularly and really should list more items in my shop :o . Still have more re-labeling to do on my skeins of yarn and my first show is next month!

Everyone stay warm and well. Be busy and I'll just continue to lurk.

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #11831 on: February 14, 2016, 10:19:41 AM »
  Happy Valentine's Day! 

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11832 on: February 14, 2016, 11:25:35 AM »
Happy Valentine's Day!

Bev, I don't envy you.  We've been suffering with the cold here, and it's not nearly as bad as where you are.  We're in the teens, single digits at night.  I'm mostly worried about the chickens, but so far they're OK.

The cold did hamper Eric's plans yesterday... while I went to a doctor appointment and then face painted at a birthday, he spent hours and hours trying to get the maple sap to a boil outside.  He finally resigned himself to doing it inside on the stove instead, which worked, but created such humidity, which then condensed quickly when the vapor hit cold spots on the ceilings and walls, and even froze on the windows.  So until Tuesday when it warms up, the windows and back door are lined with ice.  Inside.  Yikes.  And Eric stayed up 'til 3 a.m. boiling it down and then canning it so it'll be good for a year or more.

On the bright side, we got our first 3 pints of 100% pure NJ maple syrup!

Today at some point he's going to a friend's house to help fix his toilet, and then cooking us dinner.  I need to hit the supermarket and then make rice pudding for dessert.

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11833 on: February 14, 2016, 12:15:02 PM »
Teresa,   I still love Snoopy!  and I am perilously close to a hundred!
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #11834 on: February 15, 2016, 08:58:56 AM »
Teresa,   I still love Snoopy!  and I am perilously close to a hundred!

Somehow I don't think you're THAT close to a hundred! I have always loved Snoopy myself.

That's quite the adventure with the honey Larissa. Now when all that ice melts you'll be wiping up water from everywhere. It reminds me of when I was a kid and I would get frost on the knee wall in my bedroom. We had a very old house and not the best insulation. And of course my bedroom faced north so I would get those nice Lake Superior winds.

I got our driveway and sidewalk shoveled this morning. We may get some rain and I was concerned about ice forming. It will all be gone by the end of the week since we are supposed to get to nearly 60 on Friday. The weather here is a lot like NC weather it seems. We just get snow more often.