Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1526078 times)

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #11805 on: January 28, 2016, 11:53:33 AM »
Sorry about your news, Larissa!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11806 on: January 28, 2016, 12:00:51 PM »
Sorry about your news, Larissa!

Thanks, I'll be fine.  Just trying to sort things out in my head, y'know?  Process it?

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11807 on: February 01, 2016, 12:22:50 PM »
Hey, y'all!

Had a crazy weekend.  Eric and I took Friday off from work to go hang out in the city since my college friend and his wife were here from Massachusetts.  We wandered around through Central Park & Times Square, got frozen hot chocolates at Serendipity, and just generally had a great time.

Saturday I was face painting at a birthday all afternoon, and other than that we worked on some mushroom stuff, which continued on Sunday - we started building the flow hood, and made another Lowe's run for more supplies.  We also got to take advantage of the amazing weather (60 & sunny!!!) and do inspections on all 11 hives.  Of the 11, 9 are going REALLY strong, one is a little lower on population but still kicking, and the 11th died out completely.  That was the small, late season swarm that Eric caught, so they really didn't have the best chance going into winter.  We fought for them and crossed our fingers, but it was a good bet they wouldn't make it, so we were disappointed, but not really surprised.  We got more food to the other 10 hives, though, and are heartened that so far the prospects for good expansion and a big honey crop look great for this spring.  We shall see.

Today we're both working, and then tonight we have another couple coming over to hang out and watch the caucus results with us as they come in from Iowa.  All 4 of us are Sanders supporters, and with the close race, we're all really on the edge of our seats over it.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11808 on: February 01, 2016, 01:31:46 PM »
So the snowplow came past about an hour ago and left a hallway through our FEET of snow, and it's still falling!  It's a good day to be knitting!!!  Sorry about your hive, Larissa, but it sounds like it was a 'fingers crossed' thing from the get go.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11809 on: February 01, 2016, 01:51:54 PM »
So the snowplow came past about an hour ago and left a hallway through our FEET of snow, and it's still falling!  It's a good day to be knitting!!!  Sorry about your hive, Larissa, but it sounds like it was a 'fingers crossed' thing from the get go.

OMG, this sounds like what they did to a friend in Virginia.  She shoveled her walk & driveway & STILL couldn't get out because of the crazy wall of snow that was too close to the end of her driveway.  Insanity.

Yeah, that particular hive was a long shot.  From what we can tell, they simply didn't have enough population to keep the temperature up, so they couldn't move around to get to their food and it was a combination of freezing and starving to death.  I cried because of how they went; it sounds horrible and painful, if insects feel that way.  But I wasn't really crying over the loss of the hive in general; if any of them went, I was expecting it to be that one.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11810 on: February 01, 2016, 01:56:11 PM »
Fortunately we have a quad with a snow plow on the front of it!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11811 on: February 01, 2016, 02:29:11 PM »
Smart!  E's new truck is just FWD, not 4WD, so it's less steady in snow.  Once we have the $$ to trade it in for a 4WD, we're talking about getting a plow for it.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11812 on: February 01, 2016, 02:44:50 PM »
It replaced all of our boys!  When they grew up and moved out, we went, "Hell, we're not going to shovel!"   :laugh: :laugh:

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11813 on: February 01, 2016, 03:33:29 PM »
WE don't get enough snow here to warrant a plow. We had thought about a small snowblower, but I'm not even sure we need that. The couple times I shoveled, it really wasn't too bad. Of course this winter has been super mild so far. We shall see after being here a bit longer.

Tackled some small projects over the weekend. We replaced more of the door hardware so it's slowly but surely getting better looking. Terry took down the awful ceiling fan that was in the master and put up a nice light. The ceilings are only 8' so the fan hung down too low. Next one will be the one in the living room which we do need since it's a vaulted ceiling. The previous owners rigged this up with leftover parts. the down rod is A: too short B: totally the wrong diameter C: only held together with a cotter pin. Made the mistake of turning it on one time and the thing wobbled so much I was afraid it would fall, so we have never used it. The position needs to be changed too since you can touch it from the loft. Needs to go down the beam a good 3 feet to be centered in the room. Last project we finished was taking down this canopy thing they had on the deck. The fabric roof was sun rotted and it was barely attached to the deck. One good wind gust could have taken it down. Besides it really looked stupid.
Our NC house is officially back on the market. This new realtor seems much more proactive than the last. She has already shared the pre listing on her FB page. She has 2 open houses planned, sign goes in the yard today and flyers will be ready tomorrow. I am excited and believe that she will get this done in a timely manner. I found out that she is friends with some of my old neighbors too. Small world for sure.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11814 on: February 01, 2016, 04:35:05 PM »
So glad you're getting a newer, better realtor.  And now's the perfect time because so many people want to move in spring/summer.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11815 on: February 02, 2016, 11:16:30 AM »
So glad you're getting a newer, better realtor.  And now's the perfect time because so many people want to move in spring/summer.

I just saw a story a few weeks ago that said that winter was better because there is less competition. In my mind, I never really thought there was a "house buying/selling season". Anyway, I really think she is going to be much better for us! Fingers crossed.

We are supposed to get some nasty weather later on today. Thunderstorms and lots of wind. I haven't really heard anything about snow for us-maybe a mix later this week, but then warming up again.  Going to try and get the girls out for another walk before the rain comes.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11816 on: February 02, 2016, 11:52:50 AM »
Oh, there's definitely a season!  It's really apparent when you do a lot of closings, which I used to do as an attorney.  Not much competition in the winter, people want to be closed & move by the time school's out so they can get all registered for the next year in the new town & be all set, maybe send their kids to the town recreation department over the summer so they head into school with some friends.

Did any of you watch the Iowa caucuses last night?  We found one of the Democratic ones being televised on CSPAN-2, and it was the most interesting, weirdest process to watch for someone who's always engaged in primaries and has never seen a caucus before.  And then... and then!  Apparently they had actual ties in at least 6 precincts, so they literally flipped a coin (?!) to determine the winner of those precincts... and just by happenstance Hillary won all 6 coin tosses.  Isn't that crazy?  To determine our potential president.  A coin toss.  It boggles the mind, I think, no matter who you're supporting.

So last night was both stressful and fun, since we had friends over to watch.  Hung out, had snacks, watched, discussed.  It was really cool.

Today is a normal day with work.  And we really, really need to finish the flow hood, so I imagine that's on the agenda.  E & I have finally physically recovered from the weekend, I think, so we can get back to it.  And a lot of mushrooms need transferring, so it's getting kind of urgent.  We prepared a bunch of bags and jars for them last night, so those are ready to go.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11817 on: February 03, 2016, 12:56:20 PM »
Halloo!

Got a ton done on the flow hood last night, so we'll be able to start using it to transfer mushroom spawn & mycelium soon.  Just a couple steps left.  It's huge and going to be REALLY heavy - like a couple hundred pounds - so we really need to find it a place to live where we can use it easily and well.

Today is work & then tonight is my face painting guild meeting.  I was looking forward to it because I thought next month's awesome instructor was actually coming this month.  Whoops.  I like this month's well enough too, but it's all about use of stencils, and I use only one stencil in my "everyday" face painting.  Otherwise, I avoid them.  But she's doing boy faces, so that's cool, I guess.  There's just things I'd rather be doing, honestly, but I can't skip because I'm the guild photog.  Sigh.

Did I tell you guys about "We Bee-Lieve"?  Eric had this awesome idea for us to form a nonprofit that would bring beekeeping to inner city NJ kids in depressed areas. Teach them skills, get them excited about something, bring them some nature and science, get them caring for other life forms, and honey sales would be like GS cookie sales with all the benefits (responsibility, salesmanship, etc) that come from that. It was going to be "down the road" and "start slowly" with just us.

Well, at the December bee club meeting/holiday party, E mentioned it to the club's treasurer, who was REALLY excited & said the club would be behind us and help as much as possible.

At the January meeting, E was talking about it with the club's president. It turns out that the president had JUST gotten an email from a wealthy land developer in Passaic (a depressed NJ city near us) who wanted to do something bee-related to give back to the city that "gave him so much." His thought was pretty much exactly like what Eric had come up with.

The prez put the developer in touch with E, and the guy is REALLY excited. Like "I'm ready to shell out several thousand dollars and get my friends to donate too and you can use my land to put the hives on" type of excited. He & E are meeting THIS AFTERNOON to scout sites for the hives, and we'll be ordering the nonprofit's nucs with our own nucs this month. Plus, the guy doesn't want to run it (that'd be me & E in charge), he wants to fund it and give us space. He's already got a building picked out that we can use as classroom space to teach the kiddos.

Eric set up webeelieve.org (just a splash page right now) and I started facebook.com/webeelieveorganization.  There's not much there yet, but feel free to like the FB page.

I just can't wait 'til they're done meeting this afternoon (meetings at 2 p.m. EST) so I can hear all about it!  I so wish I could be there instead of in the office!  It's also part of the reason I'd rather be home tonight than at the guild meeting so we can talk about it to our hearts' content.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11818 on: February 04, 2016, 11:08:36 AM »
Good morning!

So Eric met with the developer/investor yesterday, and they picked a place for the beehives so we can get started.  The guy's ready to write a check immediately for the equipment and gear we'll need, as well as the bees themselves.  This is so exciting!

He also happens to be into the mushroom idea, so he may be joining us on that venture as well, and be willing to give us 1,000 sq feet in one of his buildings to use... which means we'd be all set on that too & could expand REALLY FAST!

I had my guild meeting last night, and was so wiped out by the time I got home that all I could do was eat & veg out.

Today is work & nothing planned after, which means flow hood and/or mushroom transfers.  E's working from home today, so if he gets some of it done without me, we may be able to start using it tonight.  It'd be so nice to not have to use the glove box, which is a royal pain.

I also finished another coloring page last night that I hope to photograph and list tonight.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11819 on: February 05, 2016, 10:03:06 AM »
Good morning and happy Friday! 

Boss asked me last night to come in an hour early this morning, so of course we've got 3 or 4" of snow so far.  Wet, heavy snow.  Perfect if I could stay home and build a snowman or get into a snowball fight with Eric, but a royal pain when I need to clean off the car to get to work.  Did it, though, and made it on time.  :)

Tonight I need to do laundry, and I think we're going to test the laminer flow hood we built by doing a maitake spawn transfer.  Photo below of the flow hood.  It's a big ol' box with a blower & a HEPA filter to sanitize the air in which we're working with the mushroom spawn & spores.  The workspace in front is on a piece of clear acrylic.

And I didn't get photos of the new coloring page last night because we were working on that, but I'll do it tonight or tomorrow.