Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1695749 times)

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #11445 on: September 02, 2015, 01:14:11 PM »
Bee themed stuff is really hot now so I am not surprised at the inquiries at all. The coop sounds awesome and I look forward to seeing the progress. and I tend to stray that way too when people are really late. You are in very good company.

I would say we are partly moved in. Terry has to go and pick up the remainder of our things, Our PODS container will be here on Sept.9th with the bulk of our furniture. WE are working on improvements here. Every room had a mishmash of switch plate covers and outlet covers, so I changed them all to almond. Pulled nails and took down some awful curtain hardware today and patched the holes. WE got some paint last night for our bedroom and his office. We decided to paint all the wood work. It's just stained pine (that 80's/90/s carmel color brown) and t pretty beat up in spots. I thought painting it all a nice creme would really accentuate the features of the ALL WOOD doors and make the trim more current. WE are choosing colors from a tranquil palette card so all should co-ordinate and not really get dated in a hurry.
We have all new outside door hardware. The inside will be done too as we move through the rooms painting. All the bathrooms as well as the kitchen will be gut jobs. They are really bad, especially the master. Sad thing is these people for the most part used quality materials but they didn't care for them and it shows. When Terry got to talk to the former owner, he fancied himself as a big DIY kind of guy. That is all well and good, but he is terrible at it. One of the worst things is he used floor tile for the kitchen backsplash and did not extend the outlet boxes. Many of them are just floating behind the cover plates and some that were hidden behind the refrigerator and stove had NO cover at all. That is a HUGE fire hazard. Terry is working on fixing that stuff ASAP. I have to find my camera and start documenting all this stuff I think.
Direct TV is here so gotta go and the dogs are getting impatient with me. Later gators!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11446 on: September 03, 2015, 11:05:11 AM »
We're getting chickens tonight!!!

Everything else going on kind of  pales by comparison.  The farm we're going to has 14-week pullets of Barred Rocks, Araucanas, Wyndottes, Buff Orpingtons, and Australorps, so we're probably doing one of each, maybe two of the Araucanas.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11447 on: September 03, 2015, 01:09:24 PM »
How exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11448 on: September 03, 2015, 01:47:13 PM »
How exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right?!  I don't want to do my work today and the day is crawling.  All I can think is "chickenchickenchickenchicken."  I really wish today was yesterday when the boss was in depositions all day.  Today he's here and wants me to do stuff.  Argh!

3 hours and 15 minutes to heading to the farm for our CHICKENS!  Eric's already planning names for some of them (we're going with a musician theme) so there's going to be a Miranda and a Sheryl.  He was also thinking Reba, but we're not getting a Rhode Island Red today, which would be more fitting.

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11449 on: September 03, 2015, 02:01:53 PM »
Yuk!    I used to hate when the boss came in and put everyone  to work doing stuff that really  didn't need doing.  Sometimes I had to stay a bit later to do the really needful stuff.
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11450 on: September 04, 2015, 01:12:16 PM »
We got our girls last night!  If you find me on FB, there are photos, albeit not great ones, because they were taken at about 9 last night in the dark, with the garage light and my flash.  Better ones will come, for sure.

We've got:
Martina the Silver Laced Wyandotte,
Miranda the Buff Orpington,
Cher the Australorp,
Lita the Barred Rock, and
Reba and Adele, the Araucanas
Together, The Chicklettes

Today is work (I hear rumors we're getting out early), and then tonight I'm face painting at the smoothie place for First Friday Fun Nights.  Yay long weekend!

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #11451 on: September 04, 2015, 07:18:37 PM »
Pretty girls Larissa! and compost makers too!

I spent yesterday dyeing wool top (6 1/2 lbs) so should get through this months shows with that and maybe have some for winter spinning :laugh: Today I finished my first belt woven on my new inkle loom! There's room for improvement so will try again with a few adjustments in technique! Rainy days are good for something after all.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11452 on: September 08, 2015, 09:53:42 AM »
Halloo!  Sorry I wasn't around this weekend; we had a lot going on (shocker, I know). 

Friday night I face painted at the smoothie place, then Saturday I face painted at a crazy block party/birthday party.  When I was a kid, block parties meant that the cops blocked off our street and all the families dragged their picnic tables and grills out to the middle.  We all ate, and brought out our soccer balls and softballs and frisbees to keep us occupied.  Maybe roller skates too.

But no.

This party was hosted by one family, not the whole block, as a "block birthday party," with a DJ, me, temporary tattoos, a huge bounce house, a popcorn machine, snow cones, cotton candy, beanbag toss games, pony rides, catered food, and rented tents, tables, chairs, and linens.  Slightly different scale than what I knew as a kid.  It was crazy.

Then Eric and I went to our friends' cookout.

Sunday, I face painted 11:30-2:30 at the restaurant, and then we went to our friends' daughter's baptism/first birthday party, where I also face painted for an hour.

Monday, Eric and I slept in (man, we needed it!) then got to work on building the compost bin that he'd started Sunday while I was face painting and a storage bench he's in the midst of building now.

Today is just work, and then I need to pop over to the ceramic place to pick up the butter dish I painted last week.  So looking forward to having a butter dish!  I've been without one for like 7 years!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11453 on: September 08, 2015, 10:09:32 AM »
Also, Eric made me get cowboy boots yesterday.   :-\  They have no treads (I checked the Kenneth Cole, Sketchers, Harley Davidson, and I forget how many other websites first to try and find any workboots that have no treads, and they don't seem to exist outside of the cowboy boot arena) and so won't track as much muck (and salmonella) outside of the chicken run.  Sigh.

They're not terrible.  They're definitely very comfortable, and I got plain classic brown with as subtle stitching as I can find, pretty nondescript.  I'm very much NOT a cowboy boot person.

The problem is, I actually kind of like them, though I'll never tell Eric that, and none of you are allowed to tell either!

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11454 on: September 08, 2015, 11:10:03 AM »
Since we all have "secrets"   yours is safe with me......
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11455 on: September 08, 2015, 11:20:29 AM »
We had such a frustrating weekend.  My 15-year-old-car decided that the only gear that it would let work was reverse.  It's been a really good car and owes us nothing...  but still.....

We had been looking at new cars for a while, knowing that sooner or later we were going to need one.  So Saturday and Sunday, we searched the web in earnest.  We decided on a model and then searched for the best posted price.  It was four hours away.  So yesterday, we messaged back and forth with the dealer and by just before 1, we had it in writing the price we wanted at 0%.  We told them we were on our way.

We got there just before 5 and they had the car ready and waiting for us.  We looked at it thoroughly and took a test drive.  Everything was wonderful.  But the salesman would never confirm that the internet pricing we got at 0% interest (the Labor Day special) was 'the deal.'  We got taken into the table area and were given all kinds of credit application forms, which we completed.  But then we looked the dude in the eye and said that you need none of this information until you show us the final price.  Well, okay he said.  Away he went to talk to his manager.  He came back with a price that was $2000 HIGHER than what we were expecting.  We showed him the messaging we had done and again, he said "let me go talk to my manager."  When he came back, he was halfway to the promised price.  We got up to leave and told him that this was just outright fraud....  get us all the way here on a promise you refuse to keep....  I have a really well-read blog.  Thank you for giving me material to write about.  "Wait, wait...  if we give you this price, are we done?  We want to make you a customer! Let me go talk to my manager."  He came back with the price we were promised and we shook hands.  Then we waited and waited for the paperwork to be printed.  We were shown into a small office with a man who wanted to chit chat.  At this point, since we'd been on the way out the door three times, we just wanted to be finished.  He noted our credit is excellent (which we knew already).  And then after he gave us a bunch of info-type forms, we pushed him...  we're not going any further until we see the final numbers!  "Oh I can get you that....  let me see...." he typed into his computer a bit and told us the final price, which was correct, but at 2.5% financing!  No, we get this price at 0%....  you can't have 0% and this price.  You can have 0% on a price $1200 higher.

That's when we walked; after nearly 3 hours on a car that we thought was all arranged before we ever left the house.  We didn't get home until after midnight.  We got a phone call just after we left the dealership....  "but we had a deal," the salesman claimed.  "yes, and you didn't honor it." 

Interestingly enough, we noted three other people who made it to the table area that walked away without a car.  The conversations we caught were so similar to ours......  To let people with superb credit walk out without a car is just insane.

Enough of that.  We did get FABULOUS news during our drive yesterday.  I have been accepted into Art in Kayenta, an extremely difficult to get into show, ranking not far behind Park City.  You have no idea how absolutely thrilled I am!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11456 on: September 08, 2015, 11:39:42 AM »
Car shopping is horrible.  I think in all my years, I've had ONE good experience.  Eric almost called the cops on a dealer recently when he was truck shopping and they refused to give his car keys back even though they couldn't meet his ceiling for a truck.  Wish I'd been there.  Apparently, when stuff like that happens, I get a little scary.

So happy (but not surprised) you got into that show, though!  Can't wait to hear all about it!

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #11457 on: September 08, 2015, 11:50:40 AM »
Larissa, cowboy boots are great! especially with the horse to go with them!

Sandi, congrats on getting into the show!
Your car showing sounds like a run-in we had at a dealership (that sent out keys for winning a possible prize just for looking) the only question they kept asking was "how much do you want to pay a month?) would not answer the question of the final price on any of their cars! Finally they did ask what price range we were looking for, when I answered with a low figure (that we could afford to pay total cash (they didn't know that)) he said those would be trashed and couldn't get us out fast enough!...The funny thing was that we had already done our car shopping and bought a new (to us) suv to haul our craft trailer a couple of months before (at an affordable price and from a different dealer who treated us with respect both for what we needed and would fit our budget!)...it just happened that we were driving our older "rust bucket" that day :laugh:

The things we can learn, or teach, about customer service, from some places!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11458 on: September 09, 2015, 10:02:59 AM »
LOL, Bev, we'd love a horse but in our area, boarding a horse costs more than our house per month!  Eric's actually looked into it, because there's a riding center right near us in town.  He loves to ride.

Had my allergy shot this morning, work today.  I think E wants to make a Lowe's and BJ's run tonight.  That's about it.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11459 on: September 09, 2015, 12:55:39 PM »
Different dealer - same, but better equipped car.  2015 Chevy Sonic LT used!  It has just over 10,000 miles on it, but the original warranty stays with it.  In response to "What's the best you can do for us on the price?" the dealer came back lower than what we thought we should pay.  And then he got us a better interest rate by a quarter of a percent than we thought we were going to pay (0% not available on a "used" car).  Out the door in just over an hour.  This is the way it's supposed to work!  Paul says it looks like a soap bubble.  I have a tendency to name my cars, so this one is Sammy Sonic.