Author Topic: Category Suggestions  (Read 3081 times)

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
Category Suggestions
« on: February 26, 2012, 05:52:41 PM »
First, as I was making my Handmade Highlights, I noticed that that there was a lot of jewelry on the site, but many of the categories were lacking.  I think there needs to be a variety of item types in order to attract buyers to the site and not heavy in one category and light or nonexistent in others.  Some of the categories were empty, which would not look good to a prospective buyer.  Are there any plans to get more evenly distributed categories?

Also, there were some category changes that I thought would be good looking at them as a buyer would, so here are some suggestions.  Let me know what you think.

1.  Glass needs its own category.  There is also more to glasscraft than stained glass.  We need categories for fused glass, blown glass, ets.  I saw some awesome blown glass artisans on Etsy...wish they would come here to sell.:)

2.  Chainmaille should go under the jewelry category since it is a type fo jewelry.  If I was a buyer looking for it, I would look under jewelry and under a particular type of jewelry such as earrings or necklaces, not for how it is made. 

3.  I think Needlecraft needs to be split out from knitting and crocheting since it is a completely different type of item. 

Your thoughts?

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Category Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 08:09:18 AM »
I read this last night before I went to sleep, big mistake, spent most of the night trying to figure out how to answer it LOL
First empty categories has to do with one thing, the site is young and we need to grow. I can't force people to join to fill a category, so that will happen naturally. But along those ends we are planning to cut open registration at 10k vendors, may take a decade to get there LOL but that is the plan. The next 10k vendors we plan to heavily jury to fill gaps in the site. Jewelry is the most dominant category in any site like this so it is hard to avoid.
Glass having a category of it's own was also something we decided against when we first started. I looked at etsy's glass categroy. lot of lampwork, which we have under handmade supplies, and we have several glass catgories under housewares. This was a tough one as my wife Kimberly is a glass painter.
So the glass is taken care of for now in our opinion, but may need some help later as we get other artists.
The chainmaille category was actually under jewelry in the beginning but we broke it out early. Maybe not the best idea as I see your point and so does Kimberly. But it is there. Removing categories is a disaster, everything has to be done manually. Plus we would be piss off our chainmaille artists. Plus the owners of the site are chainmaille artists LOL, but the funny thing is we didn't put it there for us in the beginning.
We consiously made the decision in the begging to merge crochet, knitting, and needlecraft into one category in the beginning as most items made with those techniques were similar. Again maybe not the best decision, but we were happy with it.
Yes we obviously used Etsy and Artfire as a guide, but we didn't want to copy, so moving things around a bit, having our own style a bit, was needed.

We have to be very careful with categories and subcategories in the future and have put very heavy thought into any changes.

Anyway I hoped I answered the best I could, may not been the answer you wanted but it is the truth the best I could explain. So hopefully you understand a little of the history and thinking behind the decisions. If anyone wants to jump in here please do, but please think about what your suggestions might be. Changing existing categories or splitting existing categories would flat out be a disaster, mainly because of the work behind it and because existing artists are already in it and may like things the way they are........now I'm tired 8)

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 10:59:23 AM »
Thanks for the  detailed response, Andrew.  I was not aware of the history behind the category choices.  I noticed some things as I was working on my Handmade Highlights and figured I would throw them out for others'  opinions.  I was looking at them as a potential buyer would and where I would look for a particular item if I was a buyer. 

I understand that some vendors already have items in some categories, so it probably would be an issue to change.  Maybe as new vendors join with different types of items, new categories might need to be added, such as the additional glass categories I mentioned. 

As far as the gaps, I hope we will get vendors to join that will fill those gaps.  Keep up the threads on Etsy and we might get some of those awesome glass artists over here. :) 

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 11:44:38 AM »
Thanks River we really do try to be accomodating, but unfortunately we can't all the time :D

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 07:33:10 PM »
Thanks, Andrew.  At least you gave ceramics and pottery a category...better than some sites where there is none and we have to use categories like housewares. :)

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 01:10:46 PM »
Your welcome!

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 06:18:30 AM »
I just wanted to pass this along.  I saw a comment in one of the Etsy threads (forget which one) by a glass artist who mentioned that there was no separate category for glass.  It seemed like if there was, he or she may have checked out the site more.  At least, that was my impression.  Anyway, just wanted to let you know what was said.