Author Topic: Revamping the HAFshop!  (Read 21529 times)

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Revamping the HAFshop!
« on: February 05, 2011, 03:53:21 PM »
Honesty has been one thing that we have always prided ourselves on here at the handmade artists forum so I just can't keep a secret ;D

Anyway I have struck a deal with a private developer to revamp the HAFshop! I'm concentrating on simplicity and speed. The current installation has been troublesome and bulky. So the new shop will be the opposite. I'm opening up this thread for suggestions and input. The developer is starting within a week and plans on being done within 2 months. There will be some growing pains that may come up, but our goal is to make it as painless as possible. So I'm asking for patience and suggestions. As far as the suggestions go, please keep in mind simplicity, we will definitely entertain all suggestions but we may not implement all suggestions. So lets hear your thoughts.
My thoughts are that I'm absolutely thrilled! This developer is one of the best around so hopefully all will be clean, fast, and mean!!!!

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
Re: Revamping the HAFshop!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 04:08:10 PM »
My suggestion is that you learn how to take a day off - you work way to hard!

Thank you SO MUCH for taking such good care of all of us!  This is so exciting!

Offline hrtsofstone

• Paid Subscribers
    • View Profile
    • Hearts of Stone Jewelry
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 04:18:31 PM »
Woo-hoo! Revamp that sucker! I have the hardest time trying to figure out how to add an item for sale; if I didn't have Andrew's tutorial with me at all times, I couldn't do it. Can the dang shopping cart be simpler?! That's basically my only input at this time; an easier, simpler way of adding an item, that doesn't require a degree in mathematics.... :P

Thanks!
Rachel
Hearts of Stone Jewelry

www.HrtsofStone.Etsy.com

Offline LazyTcrochet

• LazyTcrochet
    • View Profile
    • LazyTcrochet
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 04:25:32 PM »
That is great news! Good luck. I admit that I gave up too soon when I tried it. I didn't have the time or patience to figure it out then. Hope to try it again sometime. Thanks!
Wear Handmade! Visit my boutique at
http://LazyTcrochet.Etsy.com
Find me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/LazyTcrochet

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 04:37:20 PM »
Simpler is the key hrtsofstone! That is the goal, the checkout will be easier as well with the customer in mind.

That is great news! Good luck. I admit that I gave up too soon when I tried it. I didn't have the time or patience to figure it out then. Hope to try it again sometime. Thanks!
I'm aware that many people did not give the shop a try. It is too complicated and that is my fault. The software that we are using is not catered to our specific needs. There is too much stuff that we don't need and other stuff that we do need. So I'm hopeful that this will be a drastic improvement. Basically we are starting from scratch, the site will have a lot of similarities to Etsy and Artfire but with out all the unnecessary BS if you will. I'm not planning on having hand picked items or anything like that, all new listings will go directly to the front page. There will be shop sections as well for those of you who like to separate their items. 

Offline ArtsyCrafty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 05:11:39 PM »
I have no suggestions to offer,  but am so happy to hear "simple".  As with some others I gave it a try before and didn't even come close to understanding it.  I also must say I am not very literate when it comes to such things.  I will be trying to the new version as soon as it is up and running.  Thank you.

Judy in AZ
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ArtsyCrafty

« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 05:13:23 PM by ArtsyCrafty »

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 05:24:17 PM »
Simplicity is going to be the key...and was stressed over and over to the developer!  We laid out the features that I always looked for when selling on line and hope we covered most.  I got to play with a mock up of one of his developments and it is really easy to load your products!

Offline acura

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 05:26:49 PM »
You may include on the Homepage a link to the page or item the logged-in user visited the last time he / she was here.

http://www.comodte.com

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Revamping the HAFshop!
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 05:40:45 PM »
You may include on the Homepage a link to the page or item the logged-in user visited the last time he / she was here.

http://www.comodte.com
This may be difficult, we'll take it into consideration

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 05:42:27 PM »
I have no suggestions to offer,  but am so happy to hear "simple".  As with some others I gave it a try before and didn't even come close to understanding it.  I also must say I am not very literate when it comes to such things.  I will be trying to the new version as soon as it is up and running.  Thank you.

Judy in AZ
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ArtsyCrafty
I will announce it as soon as we are rolling!

Offline CraftedRoots

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 05:56:10 PM »
Love love love!!!!!!!!!! I'll admit, I was slightly frightened by how difficult it was to list an item. ;D

If a simple form written in layman's terms could be implemented for listing items, that would be fantastic. I think it would be nice to have a list for sellers to fill in, including a basic description of the product, product price, shipping price, materials used, colors, weight, size, and the capability of checking or unchecking those items if they don't wish to include them in their listing. :) Obviously the first 3 items would be mandatory.

The option for shop customization might be nice, unless you would like all the shops to have a fairly uniform look, as though they all belonged to one big shop. Definitely need an easier way to upload a banner!

Being able to include links to a brief profile would be nice, and maybe giving sellers the option to list links to their blogs and other websites.

It would be great if buyers could search for a specific seller. A better version of an advanced product search would be good as well. If you could make the search "smart" too, that would be a one-up on a lot of crafting sites. What I mean by that is that the search would recognize if you spelled a word wrong and say, "Were you trying to search for this instead?", or it could give other search suggestions. Maybe it could recognize common misspellings that were made by the seller in their listing or the buyer in their search.

Speaking of suggestions, maybe sellers could have a way to suggest other shops they like. Or, maybe have an automated "If you like this shop/product, then check out this shop/product!", with pictures, of course. Or simply something that says "Check out other crocheted items here", or "See more great items from the woodmaking category".

Okay, that's it for now. ;D

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 06:21:07 PM »
Love love love!!!!!!!!!! I'll admit, I was slightly frightened by how difficult it was to list an item. ;D

If a simple form written in layman's terms could be implemented for listing items, that would be fantastic. I think it would be nice to have a list for sellers to fill in, including a basic description of the product, product price, shipping price, materials used, colors, weight, size, and the capability of checking or unchecking those items if they don't wish to include them in their listing. :) Obviously the first 3 items would be mandatory.

The option for shop customization might be nice, unless you would like all the shops to have a fairly uniform look, as though they all belonged to one big shop. Definitely need an easier way to upload a banner!

Being able to include links to a brief profile would be nice, and maybe giving sellers the option to list links to their blogs and other websites.

It would be great if buyers could search for a specific seller. A better version of an advanced product search would be good as well. If you could make the search "smart" too, that would be a one-up on a lot of crafting sites. What I mean by that is that the search would recognize if you spelled a word wrong and say, "Were you trying to search for this instead?", or it could give other search suggestions. Maybe it could recognize common misspellings that were made by the seller in their listing or the buyer in their search.

Speaking of suggestions, maybe sellers could have a way to suggest other shops they like. Or, maybe have an automated "If you like this shop/product, then check out this shop/product!", with pictures, of course. Or simply something that says "Check out other crocheted items here", or "See more great items from the woodmaking category".

Okay, that's it for now. ;D
The shop will have a simple product t listing, but not a list for product specifics there are just too many options.
There will be a vendor search.
Shop customization will not be allowed, we want the shop to be cohesive. But we are planning to give an area on the right side bar in the vendors shop page to put blog badges ect, which I think will be cool.
The banner upload will be simple.
Don't think the product or vendor suggestion will happen though, got to think about that one.
Trying to keep it fast and simple.
The shop look and feel will be similar to easy but uniquely ours of course.

Offline Haffina

• Just a little bit crazy
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • HaffinaCreations
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 07:15:37 PM »
One page listing.. more than one page is a pain in the butt LOL and tabs count as pages XD

'Share this' button/s on listings.

Widgets are good (blog badges on the side and other type stuff) but one needs to be careful, some can cause slow page loads - so the type may need to be limited.

The ability to easily set up shipping profiles - including a 'Europe' option (I hear this alot, most sites dont have a 'Europe' option).

Currency conversion for buyers.. even if its just a drop down giving them the option to change the currency shown. There are sites that pick up the 'region' the buyer is in and automatically changes it to that, as well as having the ability to change the currency to a different one. (That didnt make much sense, no coffee yet LOL). I've seen this done without effect on page loads.

Think that's it for now, if I think of anything else I will let you know :P

Offline jewelrybyjanelle50

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 07:25:55 PM »
I would like to see the page views on the individual listing pages, if that is possible. I know I can log in and go to reports. I think it would be easier for me anyway if at a glance I could tell what is drawing the views and what isn't, in terms of being able to promote the items that aren't getting that much attention. .

It would also be nice to be able to list items without having to jump from page to page to accomodate inventory and  photos.

Just my two cents worth!   ;D

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 07:31:50 PM »
One page listing.. more than one page is a pain in the butt LOL and tabs count as pages XD

'Share this' button/s on listings.

Widgets are good (blog badges on the side and other type stuff) but one needs to be careful, some can cause slow page loads - so the type may need to be limited.

The ability to easily set up shipping profiles - including a 'Europe' option (I hear this alot, most sites dont have a 'Europe' option).

Currency conversion for buyers.. even if its just a drop down giving them the option to change the currency shown. There are sites that pick up the 'region' the buyer is in and automatically changes it to that, as well as having the ability to change the currency to a different one. (That didnt make much sense, no coffee yet LOL). I've seen this done without effect on page loads.

Think that's it for now, if I think of anything else I will let you know :P
Product listing will be one page, but 3 tabs, the form is short so the tabs will be on the same screen. Sort of fill in this info then hit next, if that makes sense.
Share buttons will be on the site.
Shipping will be handled with 3 regions that are vendor defined. Therefore you may want a cheaper price for Austrailia of course, one price for the US, and one price for everywhere else.

Not sure how the widgets will be handled, they may only display on the shop page most likely, I don't think they will be on every product. I also may have to limit the area, I don't want someone to list find me here or there 15 times and the page get all blown out of proportion.
As far as currencies go, I haven't dealt with this yet, planning on just
US dollars for now, I need to discuss this with my developer and get some suggestions. Check out is such an important process so I want to be very careful here. So I'm not sure.

As far as site speed goes, I believe we will be miles ahead of where we are now. ;D