Author Topic: Where did THAT come from???  (Read 4173 times)

Offline Manic Butterfly

• View Profile
    • Manic Butterfly Jewels
Where did THAT come from???
« on: May 16, 2009, 11:22:12 PM »
Ok-this is going too far!! I must...start....doing....chainmaille...urrgghhh...my daughter came over to visit today, and guess what she was wearing?? A really cool chainmaille bracelet!! It was a simple one, the rings looked to be around 12mm, bright pink and purple!!! I loved it, and of course immediately said, 'hey-what do you think you're doing??? you're supposed to be wearing the jewelry I make!!!' LOL Turns out a friend gave it to her as a thank you gift for helping her out, and she had bought it from another friend.

Guess that's another sign to get off my lazy crafting butt and buy some rings!!! :P

Offline jewelrybyjanelle50

• View Profile
Re: Where did THAT come from???
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 12:18:01 AM »
Yep, time to get busy! ;)

I was browsing your website, you have some really nice items. When you say silver components, do you mean sterling or silverplated? The reason I am asking is because your pricing is so reasonable, and I am wondering how you do it?  When I look at sterling findings from various suppliers, I am shaking my head, wondering if it would be worth buying them, at what I would have to sell them for to make a profit. You know what I mean?

Offline Manic Butterfly

• View Profile
    • Manic Butterfly Jewels
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 12:53:08 AM »
I know exactly what you mean! I'm told that a lot, that I should price my stuff higher, but I don't know. A lot of my jewelry has silver-plated findings, which is why I just say silver components. If there are any sterling silver findings included I'll say sterling. Usually all the lobster clasps I use are sterling silver, and I have other sterling silver findings, but I mix things, mostly depending on what I have on hand. It would be nice to be able to afford all sterling silver, but I'm defnitely not there yet :P

Thanks for the compliment ;D

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 07:11:15 AM »
The world is sending you a sign!  Grab those pliers and start working.

Offline Manic Butterfly

• View Profile
    • Manic Butterfly Jewels
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 02:57:16 PM »

I'll do that as soon as the world sends me some money to buy rings! lol:D Where is the least expensive place to buy rings?

Jeanne

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 03:15:40 PM »
At the hardware store? ;D

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 03:25:49 PM »

I'll do that as soon as the world sends me some money to buy rings! lol:D Where is the least expensive place to buy rings?

http://theringlord.com/ is one as well as http://bluebuddhaboutique.com/ .  Either one is great.

Offline Manic Butterfly

• View Profile
    • Manic Butterfly Jewels
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 03:53:19 PM »
Kim-thanks for the sites!

Jeanne-youse funny! ;D

Jeanne

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
Kim-thanks for the sites!

Jeanne-youse funny! ;D
I buy mine at the hardware store.  I get 45 ft of copper wire in various gauges by buying electrical wire.  TNNH 4 or 6  I think.  Then, I wrap it around a knitting needle and cut it with flush cutters.  Yes rings that are bought are better and tighter fitting, but until I learn the weaves, I don't feel I need good wire.

Offline Manic Butterfly

• View Profile
    • Manic Butterfly Jewels
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 04:34:47 PM »
Jeanne-I thought you were joking lol That's a great idea for practice. What kind of hardware store are you talking about? I went to Home Depot but they only had copper wire that was like 10ga and thicker. I haven't looked anywhere else yet, but I was thinking of trying a smaller mom-and-pop type hardware store. I've also heard of people using actual wire that's coated, and they strip it to use the inside wire?

Jeanne

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 04:50:47 PM »
Hubby buys 5 ft of  #4 stranded THHN.  It is black coated.  Very easy to strip.  It has 16 gauge and 18 gauge copper wire in it.  It is at Home Depot and Lowe's and you buy it by the ft.  There are 19 strands inside of it.  I use it all the time.

IcedAdornments

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 08:10:38 PM »
I think I would die without my Koil Kutter. I've only had it since xmas, but man! I hear ya about getting off the duff and getting to work. I'm lucky if I can finish a piece in a week with all the distractions around me. But that's going to change soon. Oldest daughter will be home for the summer on June 9th, and I am moving my jewelry desk into my bedroom so I can lock the door and work uninterrupted!

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 12:32:26 PM »
Haha!! Another victim of chainmaille!

You could always make them  ::) ! All you need is wire, a jeweler's saw and saw blades, and just about anything round to wrap the wire around (knitting needles work great!).

Offline Manic Butterfly

• View Profile
    • Manic Butterfly Jewels
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 03:44:55 PM »
Hubby buys 5 ft of  #4 stranded THHN.  It is black coated.  Very easy to strip.  It has 16 gauge and 18 gauge copper wire in it.  It is at Home Depot and Lowe's and you buy it by the ft.  There are 19 strands inside of it.  I use it all the time.

I'm going to do that-thanks Jeanne and Narrina!  ;D

Offline Manic Butterfly

• View Profile
    • Manic Butterfly Jewels
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 03:53:27 PM »
Haha!! Another victim of chainmaille!

You could always make them  ::) ! All you need is wire, a jeweler's saw and saw blades, and just about anything round to wrap the wire around (knitting needles work great!).

Yes I can relate Iced-I'm going crazy here-in the process of looking for a new place to live and, since I'm a third generation packrat, trying to pack the contents of about 30 years of collecting-you know, those 'must keep' items that seem to multiply??  ::) :D