Author Topic: Leap Frog  (Read 3461 times)

Offline MewesMountainArts

• View Profile
    • Mewes Mountain Arts
Leap Frog
« on: April 24, 2010, 01:12:53 PM »
I just added my first chainmaille piece to the HAFshop.  Love to hear what you think!!

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
Re: Leap Frog
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 01:16:48 PM »
love the color combo... is it a bracelet or a necklace?

• View Profile
    • Mewes Mountain Arts
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 01:24:30 PM »
love the color combo... is it a bracelet or a necklace?

Thanks!!  It is a bracelet.  I measured end to end and it is just at 8"

Offline truejune

• View Profile
    • TrueJune
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 01:51:53 PM »
Oooooh, 8", nice and jangly then!

JewelrybyNaLa

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 03:00:57 PM »
Love the color combo, Jennifer, and very nice job!  :)

• View Profile
    • Mewes Mountain Arts
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 03:46:09 PM »
Love the colors together! What weave is that?

That's a great question Jan!  Unfortunately, I actually have NO idea.  I saw it made up somewhere and decided I would give it a shot.  I will have to defer to the chainmaille experts for this one...

Offline jewelrybyjanelle50

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 07:19:29 PM »
Jenn-It looks like a Jens Pind weave to me. Nice try, and PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, but your ring sizes are off, if that is the correct weave. You should have seen my first attempt, LOL. It was pitiful, and Kim said it was a plier throwing weave  ;D

Your wire needs to be larger, or your rings smaller. This is what is called an AR, or aspect ratio. I will leave that to the pro maillers to explain, as I don't quite get it yet myself, but I am catching on. The Jens pind needs to be a really tight weave so that the rings will stand up where they need to to look right.

I ordered some rings that would be great for a Jens Pind, I will PM the sizes to you when I get them in, ok?  ;)

Offline raedawn

• me at the beach, off the coast of Massachusetts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 07:26:47 AM »
Beautiful ... love the two colors.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 07:34:48 AM »
I think it looks great! ;)

But then again, I know NOTHING about making chainmaille. My one attempt is the ever popular shaggy loops bracelet. I read somwhere that it's a form of chainmaille, but I'm not so sure. Seems way to simple to me!

• View Profile
    • Mewes Mountain Arts
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 10:21:37 AM »
Jenn-It looks like a Jens Pind weave to me. Nice try, and PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, but your ring sizes are off, if that is the correct weave. You should have seen my first attempt, LOL. It was pitiful, and Kim said it was a plier throwing weave  ;D

Your wire needs to be larger, or your rings smaller. This is what is called an AR, or aspect ratio. I will leave that to the pro maillers to explain, as I don't quite get it yet myself, but I am catching on. The Jens pind needs to be a really tight weave so that the rings will stand up where they need to to look right.

I ordered some rings that would be great for a Jens Pind, I will PM the sizes to you when I get them in, ok?  ;)

OMG!  How funny is it that the name is 'Jens Pind'  ;D

Thank you for the excellent tips!  I am also working on a byzantine necklace right now and I keep thinking that I am using jump rings that are way too big so it doesn't seem to stay formed the way I would think they should.  I will have to do some research and make another attempt.  Thanks again Jan!   :-*

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 10:29:57 AM »
You are quite welcome my dear! I admire you for trying, as it can be intimidating and daunting. Now that I sort of have the hang of it, I find it relaxing and fun!

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 12:52:24 PM »

OMG!  How funny is it that the name is 'Jens Pind'  ;D

Thank you for the excellent tips!  I am also working on a byzantine necklace right now and I keep thinking that I am using jump rings that are way too big so it doesn't seem to stay formed the way I would think they should.  I will have to do some research and make another attempt.  Thanks again Jan!   :-*

I have found that a good size for Byzantine is 18ga, 3/16" ID. It makes a nice, medium sized weave. Not too chunky, and not too small.

Offline CraftedRoots

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 01:38:54 PM »
I know nothing about chainmaille; I'll just leave it to the experts. ;D

But....I think that bracelet is fantastic!! The colours are so fun!

MrsWTownsend

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 04:50:42 PM »
Well I think it looks AWESOME exactly as it is!  The beauty of chain maille is you can change the variables in several different ways to achieve multiple looks for just one pattern~ go ahead and change it up, IT'S ALL GOOD.