Author Topic: Shop Critique - what am I doing wrong?  (Read 6945 times)

Offline Bluerosedreamer

• Gather ye Lords and Ladies fair......
    • View Profile
    • Blue Roses Dreaming
Shop Critique - what am I doing wrong?
« on: June 08, 2014, 09:20:48 AM »
Is it the shop? Or is it just that my jewelry is too mundane and boring?

I would love a critique of the shop, and my stuff. Maybe I'm just not cut out for this.

There is a shop in town here in Pittsboro that sells artists work by consignment. The owner will only accept items, jewelry, sculpture, paintings and textiles, that she approves of.  After looking at the jewelry in her shop, I wouldn't even ask if she would carry mine - the beauty of some of the designs blew me away.

Okay, so I'm not talented enough to command a hundred dollars for a necklace made of the same glass and stones I use in my work, but I love making the type of jewelry I do make.

So, I will put my big girl panties on and not cry too hard when y'all take a look and tell me what it is I'm doing wrong :)

Thanks,
 Vincenza Carter

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
Re: Shop Critique - what am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 11:11:23 AM »
Hey, you don't live all that far from me! I am in Hillsborough.

I too make jewelry and it is a very saturated market. Sales are difficult, especially online. I know when I had my B&M store in Mebane, I sold much better because people could actually pick up the stuff and look at it. And they could talk to me about it. I had a few jewelry people and the results were very mixed as to sales.

As far as your shop here, I would work on some of your titles like adding the word of what the piece actually is. You have one red bangle so make it say bangle bracelet. Be more descriptive with your stuff. I use the advice I was given to "describe like the person is blind". that means sizes of beads, charms etc. type of material like brass, glass, pewter, etc. I would try and use a picture editing program like Picassa. It will help you brighten up the pictures and gain closer , more detailed views. I would crop out more of the prop in the pictures too It can be distracting. I used them for a long time and have finally just eliminated them. Pictures are hard as  anyone here will tell you. Heaven knows I have my own issues with that!
Join handmade groups on FB so you can promote your items. You can also do it via the share link that is on each listing page. That's all I am getting off the top of my head. I'm sure someone else will jump in with other suggestions as well. Good luck and keep at it.
On FB there are some groups for info on shows and stuff in NC. I would join them too.

Offline Bluerosedreamer

• Gather ye Lords and Ladies fair......
    • View Profile
    • Blue Roses Dreaming
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 11:32:11 AM »
Thanks Theresa.
 The pictures are one of the hardest parts for me. I've studied so many online courses, make a photo box - the pictures came out too yellow - then went with playing with the editing and the colors of the pieces came out too dark - arrrgggghhh.

There are days when I want to throw in the towel and just go open a bead shop like this woman in Fuquay has. Nothing but beads and jewelry supplies, gives classes and does groups, and sells and repairs in a second shop next door.

Thank you for the honest critique and the advice. I've been using an online editing program but you are the second person to suggest Picassa...I'm going to play with it today. And then work on my descriptions.

BTW, how do I get all the links in my forum posts? I'm on Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, Google +, Pinterest, etc, etc...I've noticed others have all their links posted but I can't find where I create a signature. Probably right in front of me and I'm missing it :)

Thanks again,
 Vincenza

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 12:23:20 PM »
Go to the forum and in the upper left hand corner is the menu. Click on Profile. When you are in your profile, look on the left at the Modify Profile tab and click on Forum Profile. On the lower right hand side you will see a Signature box and you can add all your links there.

I ran my own business in Mebane for 3.5 years by myself and believe me it sounds easier than it is. It's a ton of work even when you're not at work.  :-\