Author Topic: Where Do I Begin?  (Read 1285 times)

Offline TheCraftyFox

• View Profile
Where Do I Begin?
« on: October 04, 2016, 07:59:22 PM »
Hello all! I am new to this site, and new to selling my crafts! I haven't set up my shop yet because I need some questions answered first! If the following questions are already answered on a different thread somewhere, would anyone mind pointing me in the right direction? :D
What are the legal proceedings for being a seller on this site? Do I have to pay taxes on what I sell? I saw on Etsy I needed to have an LLC??? I'm not sure what that all entails! For now, I don't have a brand or anything. I just love to make crafts but never know what to do with them when I'm done! I'd like to be able to get creative and make so many different things and then share them with whoever would like them! So I'm just wanting to make sure my ducks are in a row before I buy a subscription and start selling what I have! Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated!!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: Where Do I Begin?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 09:34:37 AM »
There are no specific legal requirements here, except that HandmadeArtists adheres to the law in general.  So most of it is on you and your business. 

So anything that's copyright protected shouldn't be listed because you just shouldn't do that anyway, not because of the shop, but because of United States law and the fact that the copyright holder has recourse against you. 

You should, for your own sake, register with a business in your state (in NJ, you just go on the NJ Division of Taxation of website and fill out some easy forms) and set yourself up to pay sales tax.  If you don't, it's not going to hurt HandmadeArtists, but the Division of Taxation, if they notice you, could come after you down the road.  It's up to you whether you want to take that risk.  You don't need an LLC or any other sort of corporation; you can set yourself up as a sole proprietorship, even under your own SSN with a "doing business as" name.

HandmadeArtists isn't going to check on you or anything you're doing, and isn't liable for the way you conduct your business.  All that HA requires is that everything you post is actually handmade, not mass-produced, and that you conduct yourself civilly with everyone else.  We're all about handmade, selling handmade, promoting handmade, pushing handmade.  So that's about it.  We don't have a vintage section, and if you're listing components for things to sell, please make sure you made those components (i.e. if you're a lampworker listing your glass beads that others can then use to make jewelry).

Other than that, use the forum, put links to your shops, blogs, twitter, facebook, etc in your forum signature, make sure to post in the forum gallery section when you make something nifty, whether or not it's for sale, and enjoy!

Offline TheCraftyFox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 10:07:02 AM »
Thank you so much for your reply!! This information is so helpful!!!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 10:11:06 AM »
You're welcome!  And doofus that I am, I forgot to say welcome to the site!

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 09:46:49 AM »
Welcome!