Author Topic: Back to school for me :)  (Read 2488 times)

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
Back to school for me :)
« on: February 02, 2016, 05:26:16 PM »
Well, I finally did it.  I've been eyeing the Gemological Institute of America's Graduate Gemologist program for years now (nigh unto 8ish years), and finally decided it was time to stop looking at it and start doing it.  It's likely gong to take me a few years as I'm taking it via distance learning and can only afford so many classes per year, but little-by-little I'll get it finished.  Right now I'm taking the 'Diamond Essentials' class, which won't take long to complete (already about half-way finished and I just started it last Monday), but the next one has me a bit nervous.  It's the 'Diamonds and Diamond Grading' course where they will actually be sending me stones in the mail to work with and then send back.  I have a total of 5 e-learning classes and 3 lab classes that I'll have to go to either their Carlsbad, CA or New York City campus to take.  Looking forward to seeing how this certification will help me with getting my own jewelry business off the ground!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: Back to school for me :)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 12:46:39 PM »
Congratulations!!!  This is a terrific endeavor and I think you're awesome for doing it.

Plus, if you do the lab in NYC & have any extra time, we could hang out.  ;)

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 01:25:01 PM »
Well that's some big news! Congratulations and loads of luck! I can't even imagine trying to study much of anything
anymore.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 02:21:08 PM by trusk4u »

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 02:31:27 PM »
Thank you both!

Larissa, we'll have to see how everything works out, but it would be fun to actually meet someone from the forum in person!  I am planning on taking my labs at the NYC campus as that is sure closer than their CA location.  I may not even have to travel there alone (something I'm not overly keen on doing), as one of my cousins has volunteered to come with me if her school schedule allows it (she loves visiting big cities, and knows I'm nervous of going alone).

My first class is almost finished already :D! I only have 1 more assignment/questionnaire and the final to go.  Should be finishing the class either end of this week or early next week.  Then on to 'Diamonds and Diamond Grading'!

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 09:58:42 PM »
Yay for Narrina!! Glad you have the opportunity to learn more :D And seem to be accomplishing it so quickly.

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 12:05:32 PM »
Thank ye!

Just took/passed the final exam for my Diamond Essentials class today!  Now to start the next class...

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 08:44:45 AM »
Go for it!