Author Topic: Coloring Pages  (Read 3993 times)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Coloring Pages
« on: January 25, 2016, 10:52:10 AM »
I've been listing hand drawn coloring pages in the shop (and sold a few too!) but the fun part is that I color 'em in after!  I actually love coloring... and was thinking of getting some of these new adult coloring books, but then realized... I CAN DRAW.  Ha!  So I drew 'em up myself!  Gonna do a whole pollinator series and sugar skull series, and have some fun!

https://handmadeartists.com/shop/FabricOfMyMind&secid=6231

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
Re: Coloring Pages
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 10:55:13 PM »
beautiful!
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 01:34:45 AM »
Thanks!  I've been going a little crazy with them.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 01:36:28 AM »
And also, I'm doing a whole pollinator series (five so far) and a sugar skull series (two).

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 02:35:39 PM »
You stayed inside the lines!!! Congrats ;D

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 02:42:10 PM »
LOL, dork.   :P

Offline Alundra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Jades-World
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 02:30:56 PM »
I've just listed a bunch of pages too! No printer so I haven't even seen them printed :'(.

I did send them to a digital printer and they should be delivered today, so let's all pray for me that they get here today or I will literally go crazy waiting ha ha.

Anyway I have attached screenies of my 3 best pages. I'm working on a book at the moment :D.
I'm extra nutty and a little blunt. Okay a lot blunt.
Check out my adult/family coloring pages!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 02:42:13 PM »
Welcome, Alundra!

I saw yours going up in the shop and it made me really happy - I think when there's variety, more than just one designer/seller of a type of item, it draws more customers and more interest.  So that's very cool.

Do you draw yours on the computer?  I suck at drawing on the computer, so I draw all of mine by hand with pencils and sharpies, then scan them to be pdfs... then color in the original because why not?

I'm doing some "collections," did a third sugar skull last night, and will be doing 5 more pollinators, so I can sell them in groupings of 10 as "books" too.  Online, I think I'm sticking with just pdf downloads for now, but I do want to get at least several of the pollinator collection bound as books once it's done in anticipation of an August event --

my husband and I are beekeepers and should have a nice harvest this July, so we're planning a big harvest open house party in August to have people come hang out, eat, drink, buy honey & mushrooms (we're also mushroom farmers), beeswax candles, soaps (we make those too), and I figure the pollinator coloring books would be a good fit.  I should do a kiddo series too.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 02:43:09 PM »
(and as a beekeeper, I love that you have a bee garden page!)

Offline Alundra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Jades-World
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 04:10:21 AM »
Welcome, Alundra!

I saw yours going up in the shop and it made me really happy - I think when there's variety, more than just one designer/seller of a type of item, it draws more customers and more interest.  So that's very cool.

Do you draw yours on the computer?  I suck at drawing on the computer, so I draw all of mine by hand with pencils and sharpies, then scan them to be pdfs... then color in the original because why not?

I'm doing some "collections," did a third sugar skull last night, and will be doing 5 more pollinators, so I can sell them in groupings of 10 as "books" too.  Online, I think I'm sticking with just pdf downloads for now, but I do want to get at least several of the pollinator collection bound as books once it's done in anticipation of an August event --

my husband and I are beekeepers and should have a nice harvest this July, so we're planning a big harvest open house party in August to have people come hang out, eat, drink, buy honey & mushrooms (we're also mushroom farmers), beeswax candles, soaps (we make those too), and I figure the pollinator coloring books would be a good fit.  I should do a kiddo series too.

You should sell the books through Createspace or Lulu also! Then it's sold as an actual book which is nice :D. I'm in the process of doing that, it's a bit confusing but I'm getting there!

But yeah I do it all on PC. I have a bizarre love of Illustrator, so I draw all my stuff on there and then convert it to raster (so people can't edit it in Illustrator - passwords can be circumvented and the preserve editing capabilities checkbox doesn't stop stealers) and then to PDF so people can print it. All of mine are saved as high quality printing too so if you send it to a professional it will look like it came from a book! :D

I could never do it by hand so I admire your patience and skill!! My style of drawing is lots of little lines so it would never be of decent quality for a coloring page!

(and as a beekeeper, I love that you have a bee garden page!)

I freaking love daisies and bees and ladybugs...when I paint my nails that's my theme always ha ha. I'm going to update that one soon too because I feel like some of the little flowers are too little. I have a print out and they aren't teeny or anything but yeah. Also I want to make it less obviously mirrored...more flow. This is the second Mandala I ever did and I didn't know all the tricks I do now so I want to go back and fix it up :D.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 11:16:21 AM »
You should sell the books through Createspace or Lulu also! Then it's sold as an actual book which is nice :D. I'm in the process of doing that, it's a bit confusing but I'm getting there!

Do they actually print and bind the books for you?  I'll have to look into that.  For the ones for the harvest open house, I was planning to use our laser printer, and my husband's got a binding machine because he makes promotional materials for his IT company.

But yeah I do it all on PC. I have a bizarre love of Illustrator, so I draw all my stuff on there and then convert it to raster (so people can't edit it in Illustrator - passwords can be circumvented and the preserve editing capabilities checkbox doesn't stop stealers) and then to PDF so people can print it. All of mine are saved as high quality printing too so if you send it to a professional it will look like it came from a book! :D

I could never do it by hand so I admire your patience and skill!! My style of drawing is lots of little lines so it would never be of decent quality for a coloring page!

Is there an Illustrator for Mac too?  I *think*, but don't quote me on it, that that's what my husband uses to do our logos for the other shop (I've got Fabric of my Mind for the knitting/sewing/photography/drawing/painting/etc, and we've got Reef Botanicals for the soap & candles and stuff).  I wouldn't know the first thing about how to use it, though.  And like I said, I'm terrible at drawing on a computer.  Gimme paper and a pen, and I can do anything.  Gimme a computer, and I can write a damned legal brief.  LOL

That explains how even yours are, though.  I did a mandala, but I used a compass and ruler to get it done, so it's *almost* even.  :)

Offline Alundra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Jades-World
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 03:03:08 AM »
Logos should be done in illustrator yes, so if he's using that he's a legend! :D

Createspace/Lulu will publish them free, that includes binding and putting them on Amazon.

As for on Mac, yeah it is on Mac. Drawing on a PC is easy, see if you can find a cheap tablet for $50-80. Make sure it's a small one, say no more than 5 x 4 inches in active area...and see what you can do in photoshop. It takes a little getting used to but I am so freaking accurate with it I get a little cocky....like those people who use a knife to stab between their fingers I do the same sort of risky poop because I'm just so...attached to it now lol. It's awesome :D.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 12:14:00 PM »
LOL, at least you're not in danger of drawing blood with a tablet! 

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 03:38:27 PM »
They are ALL fantastic! I got myself one of those books (actually hubby bought it for me) that I color in every now and then. It's fun to do.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 04:22:59 PM »
Thanks!  Yeah, I took a little time off from drawing them and have been coloring the ones I have.  I'll take pix tonight and post them.