Author Topic: Any one here do enameling?  (Read 2435 times)

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
Any one here do enameling?
« on: July 13, 2015, 12:29:38 PM »
Ok, so I'm once again finding myself expanding into new techniques to incorporate into my work, and the latest is enameling (specifically, I want to learn plique-a-jour), and I have a question for anyone/everyone here that may do enameling. 

I was reading about how to prepare the powdered enamel for use and I'm finding not all of my books agree on how to do it.  Some books say to sift the enamel to separate the different size particles and choose which size is best for the type of enameling your doing. However, another book I have has you regrinding the powder in a mortar and pestle and not sifting at all before you wash the enamel. So now I'm a bit confused as to which way I should prepare the powder or whether both work just as well. 

Any advice?

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
Re: Any one here do enameling?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 02:26:11 PM »
It actually sounds like two parts of the same thing.  When I played with it I just sifted it and only used the finest because I was working really small.  But if you have bigger pieces, then you would just be grinding them down to smaller pieces anyways. 

Don't know and wasn't any help, but will keep my eyes here in case someone else has real experience other than just my goofing around with stuff.