Author Topic: Pet peeves  (Read 9420 times)

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
Pet peeves
« on: July 08, 2015, 05:33:38 PM »
I know there are things that drive me bonkers when I see or read them over and over again. I also suspect that I am not alone. I thought it might be FUN (no nasty stuff please) to share.

For me, especially lately is the use of the word "sell". I see it over and over where people want to make a
"sell". It's a sale people, not a sell. :o

myeuropeantouch

Re: Pet peeves
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 07:03:01 PM »
Sheesh, even I know that - "a foreigner from Germany".....

But hey, I am so glad for you all to see me..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 07:52:22 PM »
The state of grammar online in general drives me insane.

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 07:54:41 PM »
Me  Too!!!!!
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 07:09:01 AM »
The state of grammar online in general drives me insane.

I know, me too!

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 07:37:42 AM »
As an English major, grammar is always a thing for me but what gets me even more is when I see a really cool item somewhere online and click the link only to find that the description is little or nothing.  If you are not going to tell me about the piece (size, material, etc) then you are going to get a sale! 

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 09:35:20 AM »
As an English major, grammar is always a thing for me but what gets me even more is when I see a really cool item somewhere online and click the link only to find that the description is little or nothing.  If you are not going to tell me about the piece (size, material, etc) then you are going to get a sale!

I am sure, you meant NOT..... :D

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 09:44:49 AM »

That, and what may be very nice items but the photos are blurry enough to hurt my eyes, tiny, yellowed out... It doesn't take THAT much to learn a little basic photo editing.  And focus, people, focus!

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 09:49:57 AM »
Gum popping and noisy eaters GAHHHHHH!
Bad grammar ranks up there too, but I'm pretty lousy at proper punctuation usage so I'd best leave that one alone.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 11:30:02 AM »
Hope you all know I did my lil sentence up there on purpose..... :laugh:

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 11:44:45 AM »
Another one for me is people posting in groups" I don't know if this is allowed, so delete if it's not." Maybe not that exact phrase, but you catch my drift. Read the rules for the group FIRST!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 11:53:56 AM »
Another one for me is people posting in groups" I don't know if this is allowed, so delete if it's not." Maybe not that exact phrase, but you catch my drift. Read the rules for the group FIRST!

That, or contact the admin before posting.  Why are you giving OTHER people more work?

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 12:38:33 PM »
Having been raised by a Mama who  wouldn't answer a question until I corrected my own grammar,  I cannot stand   sloppy grammar!  Foreign nationals come here and speak better English  than the natives.  This should not be!
My mother was in her 40s when I was born in 1936  and she taught in  a little one room school house as a young woman.  They used the McGuffey readers  and believed  in proper grammar and spelling.   After she  married she stayed at home.  I  can remember being told on a daily  basis  "You can't  help that you were born in Tennessee but you don't have to be a stupid Tennessee hillbilly and you won't be one in my house."   When I was  growing up here  it was just like Beverly Hillbillies all over the place.   It is much better now  and there are brilliant Tennesseeans all over the place.  I still remember those beautiful green eyes  looking  right straight through me  till I cleaned up my grammar.  I also remember  all the sewing  she did  for poor kids who had no decent clothing.   My daddy was a fireman  and she would take his dress uniforms and make coats for the kids who had no coats.   Every time he needed a dress up outfit  for  a  meeting he had to buy one.  It got to be a joke...."Ola's been sewing again"  they would say to him.  I am thankful to be a product of giving parents.  Please forgive me for rambling.
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 02:57:50 PM »
I got coats and skirts and jackets made from WWII Uniforms and the Soldiers winter coats, Marty, so I know what you are talking about. Had a bathing suit made from a wool coat, got into the Baltic Sea at 6 years old and could hardly walk out of it back onto the beach, that "bathing suit" was so heavy with water, I fell to my knees.....LOL

You do what you have to do.... :)