Author Topic: Just for Fun  (Read 16536 times)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Just for Fun
« on: June 29, 2015, 09:49:41 AM »
Sunday I had a repeat face painting gig at a restaurant (it was my 5th time there, I think), and each one has been terrible.  It's a hotel restaurant that has a Sunday brunch from 11:30-2:30, so they hire kids' entertainment for the time period, but I think they're either not advertising it properly or doing a really horrendous job advertising it.  The hotel itself isn't in a touristy area, more of a corporate complex, so families wouldn't normally just be staying there; they'd have to be drawn in for the brunch from the surrounding area.

The brunch itself is always pretty sparsely populated, with lots of empty tables in the restaurant and very few kids out of those.

Well, each time I've gone, the host tried his darnedest to get any kids there to get painted, but most parents said no, so each time, in 3 hours I've painted a whopping 1-3 kids.  Mind you, I can paint 15/hour and take my time doing it.  so 1/3 to 1 per hour is dreadful.  So boring.

Usually, they've got a DVD of Aladdin on repeat play on a big-screen TV (I can practically recite it now) in the too-chilly room where they station me (off from the main restaurant, which is also unhelpful, and with closed, albeit glass, doors), and coloring books and crayons on the table for any kids who wander in.

Yesterday there was a different hostess, and although I told her I was ready to paint, I'm not sure she tried to push for it with the patrons like the usual guy does.  He seemed more excited about it.  She also didn't have the coloring books out or Aladdin on.  It's like she wasn't prepared at all, though it seemed like she knew who I was and why I was there.

So I set up and sat.  In silence.  Thankfully, after the first 4 of these and how bad they were, this time I brought my sketch book and some colored pencils to occupy myself.  At least I was creating art, and if anyone asked, I could just say I was working up design elements for new faces, which isn't really untrue.

Also thankfully, my phone told me there was wifi free at the hotel (no code needed) and I realized I could put on Pandora, so I had music and sat drawing... and painted NOT A SINGLE PERSON.

But I got this cute dragon out of it!

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
Re: Just for Fun
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 06:09:30 PM »
I am so sorry this gig is such a bust for you. Granted, they are paying you, but being that bored. :o I couldn't stand it!

I saw this dragon when you shared it on FB. It is really awesome! You have no idea how much I envy your drawing talent!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 09:41:22 AM »
Thanks!  :)  We all have something.  I can't carry a tune and have no idea how to make jewelry, but I can draw.  Comes from mom and my sister's got it too, probably better than me.

I realized a few days ago that I actually have ANOTHER of this gig on July 12.  Gah.  Fingers crossed I get a couple kids!  Otherwise, the sketchbook's coming back out & I'll see if I can't design this guy a cousin.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 01:30:54 PM »
Thanks!  :)  We all have something.  I can't carry a tune and have no idea how to make jewelry, but I can draw.  Comes from mom and my sister's got it too, probably better than me.

I realized a few days ago that I actually have ANOTHER of this gig on July 12.  Gah.  Fingers crossed I get a couple kids!  Otherwise, the sketchbook's coming back out & I'll see if I can't design this guy a cousin.

Happy to provide a bucket for you to carry a tune.... ;D ;D ;D

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 01:37:30 PM »

Can I just bring you around & we'll pretend it's me singing?

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 03:55:18 PM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Can ya lip-sync.....
 ;)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 03:59:12 PM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Can ya lip-sync.....
 ;)

That I can do!  Even entered an "airbands" lip sync contest in college with friends.