Handmade Gallery > Just Life

I have to ask.....

(1/2) > >>

MakinTheBest:
There was a big discussion on IBH facebook group when a member posted a copy she made of a Mammy Doll that she had when she was a young girl.  This post sparked a huge discussion about whether or not admin should allow the post to stay up or should have been removed as offensive.  The comments got ugly for some.  So what do you think?

Should we remove art because it offends or is art meant to spark feelings of all kinds and allow the post to stay up?

myeuropeantouch:
I found some interesting comments. But first for me, it's part of American History, sadly but true. That's how I see it. There is nothing racist about it, it America's History, sadly. And that is as I see it, History.....
However here are some interesting remarks and thoughts I found:
Mammy dolls are something that represents endurance and strength. Some children loved and adored their “mammies” more than their own parents! Why does EVERYTHING historical have to have a negative connotation???
The mammie dolls are racial motivated toward African Americans of the past. The development of the dolls came from cartoons of black people in 1600, 1700, and 1800s. The cartoons made remarks about African American women that were slaves who in most instances were house slaves who took care of slave owners children. These cartoons developed more negative images during this time. The development of the cloth dolls and ceramic dolls became popular due to these cartoons. The mammie dolls are resurfacing now by Caucasians and miss educated African Americans as heritage dolls. They are apart of African American heritage however a negative image. They have increased sales after the election of Barack Obama by Caucasians by right wing conservatives. Don’t believe me google it for yourself.
They are no more racist than black Cabbage Patch Kids. Furthermore, they are a part of our history. Get over it, already.

“Furthermore, they are a part of our history. Get over it, already.”
– And there’s nothing racist about America’s history. At all. Ever. Case closed.

As a Black American who has collected Black Americana for over 18 years I have learned a Mammy is a racist caricature. People who were taken care of might feel endearment towards their Mammy. However, Mammies portrayals were happy servant’s who at one time were happy Mammy slaves who loved to leave their children to take care of their employer’s children.
Why when it pertains to negative American history black people are supposed to get over “it”? First, African American’s history is not an “it”. Second like other nationalities we as Black American’s should not get over our homeland history we should respect our forefathers and fore-mothers struggles and successes.
I do not have a problem with museums having mammies in their collection. I do
have concern when the historical Mammy chronicle is not shared with the images.

Agree with the last statement, a historical explanation should may be included.
It stemmed from a African American Caricature, yes, it was racist back then, but these days it should not be considered that. Rather just be a piece of our History.
Most "African American's" these days are born in the USA and are American's.
I don't hear anyone else saying "Chinese American" or German American"! These days we are all American's....
Now - I may have opened a can of worms here.....LOL

MakinTheBest:
The can was opened already but I just wanted to get others take on it since it seemed like such polar opposite sides.  Of course it left mammy dolls and there was questions about Nazi art and lynchings....talk about escalating quickly!

myeuropeantouch:

--- Quote from: MakinTheBestOfIt on March 07, 2015, 06:05:32 PM ---The can was opened already but I just wanted to get others take on it since it seemed like such polar opposite sides.  Of course it left mammy dolls and there was questions about Nazi art and lynchings....talk about escalating quickly!

--- End quote ---

Sheesh...go figure.....there is no comparison in my opinion. H and the N were way worse from what I learned in my History classes and my personal readings. That can only be compared to the killings of the American Indians and the (our past) government stealing their hopes, land and heritage....again....just MHO and I read up on that issue too....

It's a historic figure, a doll, there is way to much emphasis put on the underlying issue, which is racism, sadly enough. If this was a Lucy Doll or Shirley Temple, or a Flossie Doll no one would even say a thing.....

trusk4u:
To me, it's freedom of speech. And it is a part of history. It should be used as a teaching tool. I think most art will always offend someone in some way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version