Author Topic: Welcome and some advice  (Read 11104 times)

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
Welcome and some advice
« on: March 07, 2015, 12:10:30 PM »
A big welcome to all the new shops! It takes time to set up a shop and get it just the way you want it. I've noticed that SOOO many do not have avatars or banners. I would suggest that it be one of the first things you do. It gives your shop identity, your personality. Otherwise, even if you have the most fabulous things, people are not likely to look because they aren't seeing what you are about. people are very visual. Take some time and do that small stuff. We all know it tedious, but it is still important. The sales will come, but YOU have to put in the effort to MAKE it happen. :)

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome and some advice
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 01:37:30 PM »
Amen!  You would not move into a brick and mortar shop on main street and never take the paper out of the window or forget to put up your sign....that is what your banner and avatar it.  It lets customers know you are here to stay and that you take your business seriously.

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 02:56:39 PM »
Amen!  You would not move into a brick and mortar shop on main street and never take the paper out of the window or forget to put up your sign....that is what your banner and avatar it.  It lets customers know you are here to stay and that you take your business seriously.

I am seeing this in older shops too. With my little self imposed promoting campaign, I am passing over those shops. It just looks lazy and extremely boring. I'm trying to show shops that actually have stuff in them.

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 04:06:31 PM »
 ::) Another thing I've noticed when looking through the various shops today, LACK of DESCRIPTION! I think the best advice I ever got about writing descriptions is to write it as if the person you're saying it can not see it. DETAILS are so important! I've seen several listings that are just one line, maybe two and really say nothing about the item they are hoping to sell. Not trying to be mean, but I wouldn't buy it . People want information!!! Content is as important if not more so than quantity of product in a shop.
Okay, off the soapbox now.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 10:51:37 AM »
Don't come down off your box just yet!  In fact, I'll climb up there with you!  How are you going to buy something online if you don't know size, material, weight, etc?  People need to remember that we can't stop and pick up and touch our work so we have to make sure that they know exactly what they are getting through descriptions.

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 12:01:53 PM »
Don't come down off your box just yet!  In fact, I'll climb up there with you!  How are you going to buy something online if you don't know size, material, weight, etc?  People need to remember that we can't stop and pick up and touch our work so we have to make sure that they know exactly what they are getting through descriptions.

:D

Offline MarilynKelleyDesigns

• View Profile
    • Marilyn Kelley Designs
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 04:45:32 AM »
There are many shops on HA that have no banners, avatars, descriptions or even a buyer announcement at the top of their shop page.  I'm sure that the "Featured Artist"  is set up to run automatically, but as a prospective new seller or buyer, I think it looks bad to have those shops as a "featured Artist" on the home page.  There are alot of Etsy sellers looking for a new home for their products and I think the home page should reflect sellers who do everything they can (banners, avatars, descriptions, profiles, etc.) to present their shop in the best possible way. Not being featured on the home page might also spur those other shops to spruce up their shops in order to be featured.  Just my opinion.

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 06:46:00 AM »
I couldn't agree with you more Marilyn. I know I don't like seeing it. Not sure how you could fix that though. I would think it would be an either leave it as it is, or get rid of it completely. (the featured artist row) 

Offline MarilynKelleyDesigns

• View Profile
    • Marilyn Kelley Designs
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 08:37:51 AM »
I couldn't agree with you more Marilyn. I know I don't like seeing it. Not sure how you could fix that though. I would think it would be an either leave it as it is, or get rid of it completely. (the featured artist row)

Yes, that would be the problem. Only way I see around it would be to either hand pick a few featured artists each week or to require that every seller have a banner and avatar when they open their shop. 

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 10:07:09 AM »
We had a filter originally that wouldn't feature an artist without a avatar and they had to have at least 10 products.
However the code caused major issues, so we removed and simplified the featured artist, and featured everyone in turn.
with the new site, we may be able to revisit this and have some criteria for being the featured artist on the front page.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 10:12:58 AM »
Just look at right now on the left , newly listed the hats, no item description, no banner, no avatar, no shop description.... :police: >:(

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 03:20:43 PM »
As much as I would love to say you HAVE to have a banner and avatar in order to sell, it is really up to each individual shop owner to own their business.

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 04:05:57 PM »
As much as I would love to say you HAVE to have a banner and avatar in order to sell, it is really up to each individual shop owner to own their business.

I would have to agree with you. It's not necessary, but it does make your shop (and the person who owns the shop) look professional and serious about what they are trying to accomplish. ::)

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 04:22:25 PM »

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 09:40:50 AM »
 ::) Oh dear, I saw that too Monika. I don't get it.