Author Topic: SNOW!!  (Read 32925 times)

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
SNOW!!
« on: February 26, 2015, 01:13:02 PM »
Well, this is our 3rd storm in a row in the south. This time we got heavy, wet snow and a lot of it. About 6-7 inches. This area is just not used to this nor really very well equipped for it. These are a few pictures  I took early this morning around our house.

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
Re: SNOW!!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 01:31:14 PM »
My sympathies  :(! We haven't had much snow here in Michigan (well, at least not the part where I live) but we have had severe, severe cold.  Wind chill temps of over -20.  (Last Friday it was -19 without the wind chill.)   Last winter however, we got all of it: ice, snow, and severe cold.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 02:01:47 PM »
Yuck!  Do you even have shovels?

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 02:52:32 PM »
Teresa, where do you live again?

We would not have any shovels for getting snow out of the walkways....LOL....nor do we have city equipment to clean the streets. I remember 1987 or was it 89 when we had ice and snow, about 4 inches and more ice than anything else. This city was dead in it's tracks.....LOLs

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 03:50:16 PM »
I'm done with snow. We got another 3 inches this morning.
Where is Spring??????????????

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 04:18:46 PM »
We live in Hillsborough, NC., right in the middle of the state. Yes, we have shovels that moved here with us, and our big jackets and snow boots.

Narrina, I grew up in Michigan near Lake Superior. They always have snow, but even their amounts are down from last year.  I think the Midwest as a whole is just getting more Arctic cold than snow. Most of our family is around the Chicago area and it is frigid there.

Monika, they have gotten much better about being able to clear snow here. Still our residential street won't be touched for days. It's almost always melted by the time the DOT gets here.
What really killed me today was that the ABC station here preempted all programming so they could provide "live coverage" of the storm. I understand about keeping people informed given that there are power outages, trees down, etc. But they keep visiting the salt barns and showing their people driving around to show us the snow covered roads. They start their day at 4:30 AM and as of 1:00pm they were still talking about it. The snow stopped falling by 10:00am.  ::)

I'm done with snow. We got another 3 inches this morning.
Where is Spring? 

You guys are getting hammered big time! Spring will come I promise!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 04:21:38 PM by trusk4u »

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 09:13:14 AM »
I am starting to wonder if we will ever see spring!  Seems like every time we think we are going to catch a break we get socked again.  Last night was an ice storm that, yet again, kept the boys home.  They have missed so many days that they are now shortening spring break and then they are going to start adding on days to the end of the year.

As of now, we are supposed to be in the 40's next week...but I will believe it when I see it.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 11:37:59 AM »
Thankfully although we did get snow yesterday, we missed the ice.  Driving was treacherous enough without the ice on top of it.   :-\

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 05:23:04 PM »
Our weather guy in the news just stated "WINTER is over" for us in Florida.....I guess we will see....

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 10:09:22 AM »
We are getting rain all day today and switching to snow tonight calling for 8+ inches so I'm just going to give up and plan on sledding tomorrow.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 11:04:41 AM »
It took me 2 hours & 2 minutes to drive the 35 minutes home last night.  The ice dams on our roof are 1/5' tall.  And tomorrow at the end of the workday I'm supposed to have my oral surgery consult, and it HAD BETTER NOT GET SNOWED OUT.  I'm so terrified of this whole thing already, I haven't been sleeping, and I can't delay it.  I just can't.  This snow is really impeding the living of my life, and I'm getting really freakin' pissed.

Also, the ice storm yesterday may have killed the bees.  Their #1 need at this time of the year is ventilation & when I went out there this morning, both the front & back entrances were blocked in by ice.  I cleared it, but saw a LOT of dead bees.  I really hope it looks like more than it is.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 05:18:50 PM »
I can understand how you all are soooooooooooooo tired of it....hate to rub it in, but for the last 3 days it was 85 here.....

So sad, isn't....(I am being facetious)  :D :) :D

Offline Colette

• View Profile
    • Colette's Boutique
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 08:36:25 AM »
We had the same thing last week(March 5th), I think about 12 inches or more. Needless to say, Many businesses closed. I stayed home on Thursday and Friday. I wasn't complaining  :laugh: 

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 10:15:53 AM »
I actually love winter in the beginning but around February I am ready to get out again and am sick of the house being closed up and feeling trapped because it is too cold to want to go out and do anything.  We are hitting the 50's around here so the snow is melting and it looks like spring might actually show up after all.

My poor kids, with all the snow days we've had, have lost all their spring break to make up for missed school and have to go to school 3 extra days at the end of the year which stinks!  I would much rather they be in school in cruddy weather than when it is beautiful out in the spring!

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 12:05:33 PM »
I love snow too, but it does get old after awhile.
The kids here have missed quite a few days too, so what they are doing in this county is adding 20 minutes to regular school days to make up the time. They were proposing kids go on Saturdays, and cut into spring break. People were NOT happy, so they came up with this. I like the idea very much.