Author Topic: Question for the expert sewing types...  (Read 5191 times)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Question for the expert sewing types...
« on: February 11, 2015, 04:44:11 PM »
My wedding gown (see photo) has been sitting, cleaned & preserved, in its box since I got it back from the cleaners in the spring of 2009.  I'm not having kids.  We only have nephews, no nieces.  I've listed it for sale, and though lots of people have told me that it is (and I am) gorgeous, no one seems to want to purchase it.

So I was thinking today...

Do you think it'd be possible, if I brought it to a good seamstress, for him or her to cut it at the bottom of the top tier (near my knees), take the lace alone from the bottom tier and sew it to the bottom of the top tier, dye the whole thing black or dark blue (it's currently ivory), and let me have it back as a cocktail dress?

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: Question for the expert sewing types...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 05:03:01 PM »
It's also cool 'cause the back is corseted.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 05:37:56 PM »
I am very sure Larissa, that this can be done. The dress is gorgeous and timelessly elegant, would look fabulous in black or navy.
If the lace cannot be attached to the layer at the knee, I have done for the Brides whom I have sewn for - a pillow for the bedroom in their favorite colors and placed the lace on top, as a little remembrance.....you know have the color shown thru. Depending what kind of lace it is, or even in the same color fabric as the lace.
So you will always have a lil something that reminds you of your special day.

If you have still lace left, make a clutch of navy or black and cover it with your lace, ah...the possibilities are endless for you to carry all this into the future. :)

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 06:35:45 PM »
It probably could be, but a lot will depend on how it's constructed. More seams, etc. is more work and adds to the cost. I think my first move would be to find a really top notch tailor (ask friends, get references and see samples of their work) and have it evaluated.  It's not going to be an inexpensive thing to have done and you want to be sure before you allow anyone to start cutting the dress.

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 10:00:57 PM »
Oh Larissa, it's beautiful!!!   It may not work.  Just depends on the material, not everything dyes well.
Sounds like a cool idea!! Taking it to a good tailor would be a good start, several, and ask about the possibility of having it dyed.
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 10:32:30 AM »
Thanks for all the input. 

I've got a lead on an excellent tailor in my town... a small shopping center is being knocked down & rebuilt, so all the VERY longstanding mom & pop stores that have been there for a million years are of course all being kicked out.  As a result, all the women in my town FB moms group are freaking out, and one of the shops they mentioned is a tailor that's been there for several generations in the family business.  It's the only place they go (and when women are spending thousands on their outfits the way these people do, you know they only go to the best).  Turns out the tailor, at least, has found new space in another location in town, so I'll be able to go there.

Worth it to try, I suppose.  I just hope it works, because I'd hate to have it not work & then have to have it re-preserved in a new box, y'know?

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 10:36:35 AM »
Monika, before I offered the dress for sale, I searched online for ideas of what to make from it & saw the pillow idea... which I like, but with the cats & monster dogs, everything in the house is subject to being shredded if it's left out, and my heart would really hurt if I made a pillow from the dress & that happened.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 10:40:43 AM »
Your dress is stunning and would make a very cool cocktail dress...in fact, almost wish I had done that but just didn't have it in me to mess with it so I donated mine to an auction where the proceeds went to creating and giving prosthetic to brides that have survived breast cancer so that they could wear a traditional dress comfortably.

Keep us posted on what the tailor says

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 11:01:14 AM »
If this won't work, donating it may be a terrific idea.  I'm going to try the cocktail dress route, but if not, I'll be asking you for that group's info.

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 04:47:44 PM »
There are some awesome dyes, fabric paints, out now, so it may be possible.  The reconstruction shouldn't be that hard I don't think.   
If a pillow, or several, is out, what about a wall hanging?  Oh hey, you could maybe do something like that with the cut off parts.   You could get really creative with it, or do something simple.  I'm sure you will come up with something wonderful.
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 05:22:14 PM »
Hmmmm... I can see a shadowbox with the cut off parts & the invitation or something.  I could have some fun with that.  Unfortunately, I never had the bouquet preserved & though it dried out, one of the cats thereafter shredded it (see what I mean?) so I haven't got the flowers anymore.

I won't cut it for crafty stuff, though, unless it can also be a dress.  If I can't actually do that and wear it, then I'll keep trying to sell it or donate it whole to that charity Kimberly mentioned.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 05:31:47 PM »
Well...... put the pillow up somewhere....LOL.....or a shadowbox with your lace, invitations, table cards, a sephia photo of you and your dress .....nice idea....hang on wall....
I really wish you well and would love for it to work out for you, that dress needs to be worn in another form..... ;) :)
As for dying the dress, can you get a little piece out of the seam somewhere or hem and try it first.....

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 05:56:03 PM »
I'll have to see; I haven't seen the dress since April of 2009!  LOL

I think I'll take the photos to the tailor first for an in-person opinion.

Offline InitialImpressions

• Peg Bowles, Initial Impressions
    • View Profile
    • Initial Impressions
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 09:26:52 AM »
I am sure the redo is doable - but likely expensive between the alteration and the dye.

If you really want to sell it, I would approach the various clearing houses for wedding gowns.  There is one that gets wedding labels from me so that the brides have something special.  And I am sure there are others too.

Also -- did you try Craig's List?

Offline InitialImpressions

• Peg Bowles, Initial Impressions
    • View Profile
    • Initial Impressions
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 09:32:44 AM »
This is the consignment shop that buys the wedding gown labels from me for their brides.  I suspect there are shops like this in just about every town.

http://www.fabulousfrocksbridal.com/charleston/