Author Topic: Not as Good as "Happy Trees"  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Not as Good as "Happy Trees"
« on: November 14, 2014, 12:45:08 PM »
Man, I loved Bob Ross as a kid, even though I recognized him as a painter and teacher, not so much an artist.

Anyway, I'm sure they're all over the country, those places where you can go & paint ceramic stuff?  I did a picture frame with a friend for kicks yeeeeeeeeeeears ago in Massachusetts.  Still have it, actually.

Well, some of them have started doing evening "canvas & cocktails" parties.  So this month (Wednesday night), instead of having a master body painter come & teach at my face & body art guild's monthly meeting, we took a class trip to one of these places to paint on a flat, immobile, inanimate canvas rather than our usual 3-D, moving face canvases.

Now, I've got a fine arts background, but a lot of face painters don't.  One woman actually commented to me on Wednesday that this is the first time she's ever painted a canvas that wasn't a face!

I had no idea how these things worked, except that there was a set picture we were being taught to paint by an instructor, and that ours was going to be "a pretty winter scene."  OK, nifty.  Only, I can't be a sheep.  I had delusions of grandeur and was planning my own little spin, a la Salvador Dali.

There were going to be emperor penguins in MY painting, maybe even a polar bear.  Because, winter.  An adult emperor penguin with a stretched wing, a la Dali, and a penguin chick in a cracked egg, on a stick, also a la Dali.  And I'd melt something, for sure.

Well, I get there, to find that the canvases (pre-stretched commercial ones, not nearly as tight as I used to stretch my own... which is precisely WHY I used to stretch my own) are all in front of seats on little tabletop easels.  In front of each canvas was a piece of tin foil with just FIVE COLORS already doled out on it in five little pools:  white, black, blue, yellow, and purple.  No orange.  Emperor penguins need orange.  And all we had to start were TWO SPONGES.  Seriously, it's like we were 3 & going to eat the supplies if they gave us too much.

Then when it came time to do the lamp posts, they gave us ONE really cruddy little round brush for black.  Then for the trees, one cruddy, furry, small flat.  (These brushes have been abused.)  Then for snowdrifts, one larger round.  That's it, three brushes, doled out one at a time.  It was pretty funny.

Well, I tried anyway, though I was (a) a bit toasted and (b) getting the way penguins look a bit wrong.  Luckily, I have acrylics at home & my own brushes, and I can "finish" the painting this weekend.

I texted Eric a photo of the "palette" we were given with a message that it wasn't going to be easy to keep from conforming.  Then a pre-tree photo with the melted lamp post & penguin, saying, "I will not be stifled!"  LOL

Anyway, this is what I came up with, and what the whole class looked like.  Once I fix & finish it, I'll post a new photo.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
Re: Not as Good as "Happy Trees"
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 01:13:18 PM »
Too funny!  I don't know that I would have done any different if I was there.....don't think I would have done a penguin but probably would have added a melted snowman with a tree eating his carrot nose!!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 11:42:03 PM »
The melted snowman would have been cool!  No one else was creative enough even to think of that, and it wouldn't have been hard to paint.  Sigh.

Anyway, fixed it!

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 09:08:28 AM »
I like it, much better than the "required" picture!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 12:07:15 PM »
Yeah, so do E & I.  My Newcomers group is thinking about doing one of these at a different location.  I may have to stash my own brushes in my purse so I can play properly.   ;)

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 09:13:09 AM »
Yeah, so do E & I.  My Newcomers group is thinking about doing one of these at a different location.  I may have to stash my own brushes in my purse so I can play properly.   ;)

Only you would smuggle in brushes!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 10:32:17 AM »
It's odd, since my mother is the most in-the-box person I know as she got older, but I was raised to be a rebel!

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 02:22:09 PM »
Lovely work REBEL!

Offline Colette

• View Profile
    • Colette's Boutique
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 09:55:25 AM »
lol, I was thinking about that while reading your post: "Next time,make sure you bring your own brushes lol".  You still did a great job with what you had. I love your painting.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 10:20:46 AM »
LOL, thanks, y'all!