Author Topic: Color Me Frustrated  (Read 1951 times)

Offline TheAlchemistsVessel

• Maille Misfit
    • View Profile
    • The Alchemists Vessel
Color Me Frustrated
« on: August 15, 2014, 08:52:39 AM »
Good Morning,

I know it's bad form to whine, but this really chaps my hide, and I know no one here would be so inconsiderate.

I list items on another site, and as we know Chainmaille is a very specific form of jewelry, and does not consist of manufactured chain, pendants, and other items not made of hundreds of tiny rings.

One vendor (and now more have started) tags everything in their shop "chainmaille", it isn't even close.  Why did they do this?  Because the category is empty, myself and perhaps two other shops actually sell maille, and there are not thousands of "jewelry items" to look through on those pages.

It is frustrating, and makes me mad to think that someone is using the tag/category just to be seen. I don't even think they know what chainmaille is.  I did contact the powers that be on the site, and have no idea if anything will happen or not.  If the issue isn't resolved that's one more site I drop, and just one more reason to stay right here.

I love Handmade Artists.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: Color Me Frustrated
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 09:21:50 AM »
Ugh, I'd be climbing the walls in frustration!  Hope the admin takes care of it.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 10:54:35 AM »
That's ....that's....downright dirty...hope you get some results, Alix....

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 01:32:56 PM »
That was happening on Etsy years ago before we left, I believe we left in 2009. So it has been quite a while.
I have no idea what the site owners would be able to do about it, I couldn't think of how we would even approach handling something like that here.

Offline YankeeBurrowCreations

• View Profile
    • Yankee Burrow
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 08:15:33 PM »
that is frustrating, and like Andrew said, I'm not sure how admin anywhere can monitor tags.  I wonder if the site could set up a category for just chainmaille...that might be easier to track and correct the listings there.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 08:20:30 PM »
Well we have a chainmaille category here!!! :laugh:
As far as tracking and correcting tags, I don't know how that would work. The only way we could do that here is one item at a time, and honestly I do not plan on going through each product here one at a day. I would be doing it for weeks. LOL

Offline TheAlchemistsVessel

• Maille Misfit
    • View Profile
    • The Alchemists Vessel
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 09:10:00 PM »
Thank you all for your replies.

I know this may sound tacky, but the admins might write a gentle note to the "offending vendor" explaining that tagging their items "chainmaille" when it is not chainmaille is not within site policies.

My problem is that unlike here "Chainmaille" is not a specific category on that site, you must actually tag the item with the word.  So the vendors are consciously and purposely misusing the tag.  Annoying.

I'm pouting I know, but I do want to thank you all for your support.  I feel a bit better now.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 01:36:10 PM »
Thank you all for your replies.

I know this may sound tacky, but the admins might write a gentle note to the "offending vendor" explaining that tagging their items "chainmaille" when it is not chainmaille is not within site policies.

My problem is that unlike here "Chainmaille" is not a specific category on that site, you must actually tag the item with the word.  So the vendors are consciously and purposely misusing the tag.  Annoying.

I'm pouting I know, but I do want to thank you all for your support.  I feel a bit better now.

It's always good to vent. Glad you feel better, but that really is bad form. Some people just have no shame, respect, or sense of fair play when it comes to stuff like that.