Author Topic: Bees!  (Read 75375 times)

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
Re: Bees!
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 01:45:07 PM »
That's fair.  Most people aren't like Eric.  We have bees in the first place because he's scared of them after being stung by an entire hive's worth as a kid.  But his way of getting over his fear is by immersing himself in 40,000 of something.  Obviously.  :)

That is a bit of an extreme way to get over a fear...but at least you get the benefits!

Hey, you've met the guy.  He's like that.  He learned to hockey stop by racing headlong at rink walls and bashing into them unless he could stop himself before hitting.  Thankfully he's got a hard head.

Now there is an image that makes me smile!!!!  E running headlong into the boards!  I taught Andrew to skate on an outdoor pond in Montana with 5 year olds racing around him with hockey sticks....he was so funny wobbling from one light pole to the next to get around!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 06:29:34 PM »
If you've been keeping up on my blog, you know we've been having issues.  Our queen died, so we had to re-queen & hope they'd take to her and not kill her.  And that we caught the problem in time, since worker bees only have a 28-day lifespan in the summer & without a queen laying eggs, the whole hive would die out.

We installed the new queen in her cage with her attendants on Tuesday evening, just before sundown.

Today we went in to check on them & release her and the attendants.  They all looked ok, and it didn't look like the older workers were biting at her and the cage, which is good.  When we released her, she immediately went down into the comb, hopefully to start laying ASAP.  We didn't see any fights break out, and the new workers got acclimated to the area.  Later, we saw them flying in and out of the hive with the older bees.

We can tell which are which because our older bees were really dark.  The new ones are the blonde Cordovans.  Fingers crossed that it's really as amicable as it looks!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2014, 01:55:51 PM »
She's OK & they've taken to her!

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2014, 04:31:33 PM »
Yeahhh....Bee Mommy, all is well..... :-*

Offline beadthing

• Whatever you are be a good one. ~Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 09:47:08 PM »
Fascinating Larissa, would love to learn more about how bees work, maybe I will have to do some homeschool learning on my own and include Jaeden in it.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 09:52:41 PM »
I got into more detail about this particular issue on today's blog post:  http://reefbotanicals.blogspot.com/2014/06/wanna-see-what-royalty-looks-like.html

But the book I'm reading, which is really informative, is The Backyard Beekeeper.  Part of it is geared to the equipment and actual practice of keeping bees, but a lot of it is how the colony works.  It's really interesting.

Offline beadthing

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 09:55:31 PM »
I will definitely be looking for the book. You never know it may be something that Jaeden will be very interested in.  He loves all kinds of animals so why not bees?

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2014, 10:11:59 PM »
Would you get a hive if he was into it?  That'd be so cool!  Even if not, you should be able to find local beekeepers who'd take him out and show him how it works.

Offline beadthing

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2014, 03:51:07 PM »
I would certainly consider it.  I spoke to his mother today about it and she said "Oh, that's so cool, I want to do that."  So we may be looking into it.  The only thing is he may be a bit scared at first because just before we moved into this house we were working on it a bit and standing outside just before dusk and he came running across the front yard screaming bloody murder that something had attacked him.  He had been stung by wasps, many, many times.  He did nothing to disturb them just walked into their path.  Come to find out, the worker wasps go out in the day and come home at dusk and he walked through their flight path.  Now when he sees one, he freaks out.  We may do some study on it before I get him close to them. 

There is a beekeeper about 20 miles from here, not sure if there is one closer or not but that is not a bad idea.  I know the gentleman would be kind enough to show him how they work and talk to him about them.  Hey, do they make beekeeper suits that small?

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2014, 04:46:32 PM »
They do!  We plan to get one for kids to come learn about our hive.

And let's see if we can find a book explaining the difference between bees & wasps.  I bet he'd understand right away.

Offline beadthing

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2014, 05:30:59 PM »
I am sure he would, that is a great idea.  I am going to start some research on this, thanks Larissa.

Offline beadthing

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 12:22:07 AM »
Thanks, I'll check them out

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2014, 11:36:34 AM »
I forgot to update last weekend.  We have larvae!

Offline CrochetHooked

• Supporter of all things Handmade
    • View Profile
    • CrochetHooked
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2014, 04:18:52 PM »
Larissa (and Eric) My hats off to you two… How wonderful it is to over come your fears and take care of these precious little bees!

You two are the bees knees AWESOME!
Cari (CrochetHooked)

I have a desire to create, a passion for my craft, and maybe… just maybe I will inspire another.

About Me
My Shop
Website