Author Topic: Bees!  (Read 76555 times)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Bees!
« on: April 28, 2014, 09:49:07 PM »
As of last Monday night, Eric & I are real, live beekeepers!  We picked up our nuc (hive nucleus - 5 fully drawn out frames of honeycomb, stocked with a good bunch of worker bees, one laying queen, and some drones, plus cells full of brood (eggs, larvae, and pupae) and honey for them to eat) on Monday night & installed it into a our hive Tuesday morning.

Eric and I, by the way, are both pretty scared of bees.  Not sure who's worse, though I'm definitely more demonstrative about it.  I did the majority of the close-up work to install them because Eric wasn't wearing a long-sleeved shirt & was validly worried about the bees getting up his jacket sleeves and getting him.  I'm proud to say that although I kept squeaking in startled fear, I didn't succumb to my inclination to flail around and run.  I held it together & got them safely in the hive.

Then we had to leave them alone for a while to let them get situated, so we had our first hive inspection this past Sunday.  It went great - we both were a lot calmer with the bees, and the hive looks incredibly healthy.  The queen is alive and laying (we know because of the new eggs & brood - an egg is only an egg for 3 days).  And the girls were out working their tails off.  We saw some coming home with bright orange pollen packed on their legs (and cells in the honeycomb packed with the same practically neon pollen too.  And they're doing a good job building up the comb on the new clean frames too!

Can't wait for the next inspection this weekend!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: Bees!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 09:50:45 PM »
More photos from the first inspection.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 04:09:25 AM »
Wow... speechless......

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 07:32:19 AM »
THAT'S AWESOME! I'm going to keep bees in Belize...if I ever get down there for good  ::)

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 07:35:14 AM »
Looks like they are working to me

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 09:20:27 AM »
THAT'S AWESOME! I'm going to keep bees in Belize...if I ever get down there for good  ::)

Terrific!

Offline LOVEwhatIdo

• View Profile
    • LOVEwhatIdo
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 12:27:06 PM »
Wow! That's awesome! I hope you will get some delicious honey from them.  :)

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 07:38:07 AM »
Fascinating creatures they are, but they still freak me out a bit. I am trying to be calmer though when I hear that buzz of whatever is flying around me.

I am going to try and plant bee friendly flowers in the yard this year and stuff the deer won't eat.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 12:12:06 PM »
Awesome!  For seeds, check out this site:  http://www.xerces.org/pollinator-seed/

Not only do they have seeds separated by area of the country, but the $ goes to a good cause.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 07:42:02 AM »
That is so cool....for you!  I don't know that I could be around that many bees without freaking out so I'll leave that hobby up to you!  :o

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 09:49:39 AM »
That is so cool....for you!  I don't know that I could be around that many bees without freaking out so I'll leave that hobby up to you!  :o

LOL, but you'll come visit anyway, right?  Honestly, once you get 7 feet away, you wouldn't even know we had a hive if you weren't looking at it.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 10:17:25 AM »

LOL, but you'll come visit anyway, right?  Honestly, once you get 7 feet away, you wouldn't even know we had a hive if you weren't looking at it.

I'll come as I really want to see the works in person!  I am just NOT a fan of bees.  I know they are important and I love honey....but bees are not my friend ever since I was a kid and stepped on one.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 10:56:17 AM »
That's fair.  Most people aren't like Eric.  We have bees in the first place because he's scared of them after being stung by an entire hive's worth as a kid.  But his way of getting over his fear is by immersing himself in 40,000 of something.  Obviously.  :)

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 07:46:13 AM »
That's fair.  Most people aren't like Eric.  We have bees in the first place because he's scared of them after being stung by an entire hive's worth as a kid.  But his way of getting over his fear is by immersing himself in 40,000 of something.  Obviously.  :)

That is a bit of an extreme way to get over a fear...but at least you get the benefits!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 06:43:30 PM »

That is a bit of an extreme way to get over a fear...but at least you get the benefits!

Hey, you've met the guy.  He's like that.  He learned to hockey stop by racing headlong at rink walls and bashing into them unless he could stop himself before hitting.  Thankfully he's got a hard head.