Author Topic: Tell my what you have heard at craft shows  (Read 17555 times)

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
Tell my what you have heard at craft shows
« on: March 19, 2014, 10:01:54 AM »
I am working on a semi-serious, sort of joke list of things I have either heard said or been said directly to me at craft shows.  Also, funny, sad, scary things that you have experienced as a seller.  Basically, tell me your experiences in the craft show world!

For me, the worst was when I set up on a street that acted like a wind tunnel.  Now I use sand bag weights on my tent and am still paranoid that my tent will blow but others use no weights at all.  On this day a gust blew up and the person's tent next to me lifted up, flipped, and landed on mine.  I sell painted glass so you can only imagine the crash when my tent collapsed under the weight of theirs.

Some lovely people just walking by started to help me clean up, but I shooed them away in fear that one would get cut and then sue me!  The other vendor just took their tent and started packing, no offer to help or pay for damage....nothing.  I called Andrew, who was an hour away, and he raced up to help me clean up and pack up.  I cried all the way home in frustration!

The most common thing I hear is "I/Aunt Mable/my neighbor/my coworker can make that for you so you don't have to pay for it!"  I know that others can make what I do, but it is funny that people don't think about the fact that the artist is sitting right there and can hear anything you say and still has to keep smiling.  My answer to one such comment like this was "Oh, really?  I know you CAN make it but will you ever get around to it?  Look at all the time I just saved you!"

So, tell me your stories and I'll add them to the list.

myeuropeantouch

Re: Tell my what you have heard at craft shows
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 12:00:38 PM »
My mosaic's...
Oh, I know how this is done, you use a hammer, right, have seen it, so easy! Just smash your dishes and then glue them....Oh I can do that, really no problem....you don't have to buy this, I will make it for you....

I always said, I like a quarter for every time I am told this....all freaking craft show day long....

Beautiful, you made that, awesome, can you believe that, how original, oh, my friend would love it, that is just so artistic, what a fabulous idea, you recycle, oh, you up cycle, what a green idea...... ::)
That's $2.75 right there, none of these people have bought anything and these remarks just happened in 5 minutes.

Can imagining , how  much money I would make in 7 hours.... ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 09:04:52 AM by myeuropeantouch »

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 01:03:37 PM »
The ones who browse & peruse and talk and comment... and then walk away?  Eric calls them "tire kickers."  Usually "damned tire kickers."

I once had the same wind issue, but with my own canopy!  Actually, it was a friend's I was borrowing.  I was still in the process of setting up my face painting booth (this was pre-Reef Botanicals) and the wind picked it up and sent it flying onto my own car, which I hadn't yet moved away to a parking space.  The canopy just bent & collapsed, but my friend said it was ok he didn't need it replaced, he had others.  So after that I bought one for myself and ordered canopy weights online.  I think the shipping on the weights cost more than the brand new canopy!

Also, because I had to spend the rest of that day face painting with no cover, in a nice breeze but with full sun, I ended up with 2nd degree burns on half my face.  It was so bad that even more than a week later people were asking if I was ok & whether I needed them to bring me to the hospital!  Never again.  That's when I got the canopy, weights, and started packing SPF-45 in my face painting kit.  I keep sublock in my car at all times now too.

With Reef Botanicals, because of the look of our soap - natural & hot process - a lot of people think it's fudge or cheese from far away and are kind of disappointed when they get closer and it's soap.  This, despite the fact that our banner says, "Reef Botanicals - handcrafted soaps and other indulgences."  But I learned long ago with the face painting, PEOPLE DON'T READ.  I also question why they approach the booth when they think it's cheese.  Hot days, full sun, no ice or other cooling mechanism in sight, they think it's cheese, and people are attracted to that?  Really?  Blech.

Although at this one fair we did, I could see them wanting it to be cheese.  It was an indoor "fair" that turned out to be the crappiest flea market I've ever attended, let alone vended.  We made exactly $0, if I remember correctly, which meant -$25 for the day, not including buying ourselves lunch.  It was in the cafeteria of a school, tiny and freezing in the dead of winter.  The organizer hadn't arranged with the school to have the heat on for the weekend, or even the day.  We were in our winter coats, huddling and chattering.  And the organizer also hadn't arranged to have any food vendors or someone working the cafeteria.  So there was no food at all, hardly any patrons, hardly any vendors, and it was all crap.  It was miserable and we were by far the fanciest stuff there.  Eric ran across the street to a deli at one point to get us lunch, and I went out at one point into the freezing outdoors just to stand in the sun and be warmer than inside. 

And everywhere we go, I hear, "Oh, I make soap!"  And then when I delve further, I get out of them that it's melt & pour.  I so want to say, "No.  You don't 'make' soap.  You color and scent and shape soap that already exists because some corporation 'made' it.  Gah.

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 09:03:05 AM »
Yikes on the flying tents!

I had someone come up to my booth, pick up a book, flip through it, look at me and say "It's blank, there's nothing in it - what on earth would you do with an empty book??" I decided it was best to smile and walk away. (The person helping me graciously tried in vain to explain - bless her for joining a battle of the wits with an unarmed combatant)

Then I had a woman that sold Scentsy pick up one of my books and say "$28?!? That's a lot for a journal" I just shot back at her that I make them all from scratch, every bit of it, I don't wait at the curb for FedEx to deliver a box of mass produced goods ready to plop on a table to sell. Grrrr...

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 09:09:00 AM »
I imagine Scentsy chick would have a heart attack at my candle prices too.  Sigh.

By the way, Andrea, I keep meaning to tell you.  Remember that journal I won from you that I've been saving for just the right purpose?  It's now our aquaponics recordkeeping journal!  I figure that's important enough to merit using your book.   :D

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 11:05:20 AM »
Not to derail the thread here but, Larissa,I love that you've found a use for it! PLEASE share photos of the aquaponics as it progresses, I'm totally interested in seeing how it goes!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 11:08:24 AM »
Not to derail the thread here but, Larissa,I love that you've found a use for it! PLEASE share photos of the aquaponics as it progresses, I'm totally interested in seeing how it goes!

Keep an eye on the "what are you doing today" and "march blog post" threads... I'm blogging the whole thing with lots of pix.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program... sorry for being a troublemaker....

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 12:13:49 PM »

Keep an eye on the "what are you doing today" and "march blog post" threads... I'm blogging the whole thing with lots of pix.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program... sorry for being a troublemaker....

I would expect nothing less from you  :police:

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 08:26:59 PM »
While I'm sitting at my spinning wheel few people say they can make yarn themselves, but little kids often ask to try:) One year I had a little girl ask me where I got the green wool from that I was spinning. I answered "I dyed it" Her little eyes got big and round and she said "you killed the sheep?" I quickly explained that it was like dyeing Easter eggs and now consider the age of the questioner before saying the wrong thing ;)

Of course with the adults I sometimes tell them that green sheep are hard to find in the pasture during the summer time!

And yes I agree that flying tents are a menace (my candle jars are breakable) and the second worse was a community tent on a rainy day with the leak right above my yarn >:)

But the good days and customers that return each year to seek me/you out, help make all the work worth while :laugh:

Offline jolenemacinjax

• Live for Today - No One is Promised Tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Southern Women Crafts
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 10:06:09 PM »
Great comments and stories. Please keep adding them in. I could use a few laughs as well as some good tips on handling looky-loos....
 ???

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 03:51:49 PM »
Great comments and stories. Please keep adding them in. I could use a few laughs as well as some good tips on handling looky-loos....
 ???

The only way to handle the lookers is with kindness and if someone else comes in, excuse yourself and focus on those that are more likely to buy....then again, I've had a few pegged as lookers that spent some serious money so you never can tell.  Basically, kill em with kindness since you never know!