Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: What are you doing today?
« Last post by Larissa on June 26, 2017, 02:00:03 PM »
Oh, I get that it's really hard to run a show.  I see how hard it is just to throw a big party that we do every year, let alone dealing with the town and vendors and advertising and all that other junk.  It's got to be crazy.  I love organizing things, so on the surface it sounds really fun... and then I realize it's not.

So definitely kudos to Allison for starting the farmers market and trying to make it work.  She just really needs to up her game as a professional and understand the costs of doing business, and not take bad advice.  She lost not only $850 in market income, but also a whole additional full vendor booth (an attractive one, too, if I do say so myself), including lathe and spinning wheel demos (Eric was 100% planning to turn pens at he market and I was planning to spin yarn) by letting us take a step back and think about what we were getting into, rather than just being willing to take a CC or Paypal payment for our booth, with her paying the under $30 in fees (I think it was actually $23).  The kicker is she actually allows CC/Paypal payments for the occasional vendors (with her eating the fees), but wouldn't do it for us as a full-season vendor.  I'm sorry, that's just not good business.  I want her to be wildly successful, but I fear that if she doesn't figure it out fast, it'll just die out.

As for Cissy and the alleged "juried" craft fair - she's just a no-good shyster.  Examples, and why I wouldn't sign up for one of hers without scouting it first: 

Many years ago when I was a newer face painter, she told me that a street fair she was running would be a GREAT venue for me and I'd be the only body artist... and then in this TEENY TINY fair in a poor, crappy area, put me right across from the airbrush tattoos.  Only body artist, my foot.  I made $3, but spent $25 to be there, for a loss of $22.

When E & I first started Reef Botanicals, we decided to try again.  A fair at a school cafeteria one winter, where there was alleged to be a "craft corner."  Well, we WERE the entirety of the "craft corner," located directly next to the knock off $1 perfumes.  Not kidding.  And she hadn't arranged for heat in the school cafeteria, so we were all wearing our winter coats and still chattering and shivering.  No food arranged to be available, even to purchase.  People kept coming over to our soap, thinking it was fudge and being horribly disappointed.  $0 in sales.  Forget how much we spent to be there.

So when I saw "juried craft fair," I was skeptical, but wanted to check it out.  At least we met a cool woodworker and got the nifty plant.  And learned never to work with Cissy ever, ever again.  Ever.  Like ever.  She's been doing this many, many years, and it just boils down to the fact that she's just a horrible person.

In the meantime, Eric is selling his stuff like hotcakes, and I'm doing my darnedest to push mine.  I know that my yarn is tougher if people can't touch it, and if I don't start dyeing... which I want to do but need more stock first.  The drum carder is helping speed things up a lot, but it's still a lot of work, obviously.
« Last post by iKnitQuiltSew on June 26, 2017, 11:52:10 AM »
IT is REALLY hard to run a show, regardless of the main focus.  Too many people think that if you schedule it, people will pay to be there and shoppers will show up just because.  It drives me nuts that people say "juried" when it's really not.  I'm happy for you, Larissa, that you avoided the nightmare!
« Last post by Larissa on June 26, 2017, 11:34:29 AM »
Now I figure it's not broken.  I'm able to walk without screaming (yesterday too), and while it's pretty bruised, it's only a little swollen.  A friend made me some comfrey salve, so I'm using that.

Yesterday, we went to the local farmers market that E & I almost signed up to do for the entire summer, every Sunday (20 weeks, $850 + insurance), and were SO GLAD we didn't do it!  It was brand new last year, and this year it's even smaller, with hardly any vendors (one produce, one meat, like 2 crafters, one baker, one salad place, one pickle place, one salsa place... I dunno, it was tiny).  And I'd gotten an email a day or two before because I'm still on the mailing list that it was "the BIGGEST ONE YET!!!"  Holy crow.  If that's the case - and the weather was beautiful, but the foot traffic was DEAD - we'd have wanted to shoot ourselves had we done it.

I really like the woman who runs the market, but man, she's inexperienced and has no idea what she's doing.  I applaud her for getting it started and trying so hard, but with that teeny tiny market that she's trying to grow, she actually lost a full-summer vendor (and the $850 we'd have paid), just because she wanted to charge the $30 Paypal fees back to us (which is against Paypal TOS too) and it gave us time to second guess doing it.  We're actually really happy about it now.  It would have been a disaster.

Then we popped over to a "juried craft show" in a nearby town that I wanted to check out... it's run by an event organizer I KNOW from past experience is a shyster and a liar, but she just got into this "juried" thing, and I was hoping that maybe she'd learned better.  Wanted to check it out as a possibility for her later season shows in the fall or next year.  NOPE.  Juried, my foot.  First of all, she advertised it as 60 vendors.  We were talking to one of the FOUR woodworkers at the event, and there were a total of 34 booths (he'd counted).  FOUR woodworkers in 34 booths.  And only two were really talented.  There was stuff that looked like flea market crap.  The forger was cool, and this one tile-art booth, and one of the plethora of jewelry booths was cool.  And there was a guy there who cultivates and sells carnivorous plants, so we did end up buying a pot with various pitcher plants and some other sort of carnivorous plant.  That was pretty nifty.  But she charges $100/booth.  She's nuts.

Most of the rest of the weekend, I carded alpaca and started soaking the 3 lbs 6 oz of Shetland I bought.  Today is work, and tonight I'll be carding more alpaca and washing Shetland.  Eric's got his wood turner's meeting.
« Last post by Larissa on June 24, 2017, 09:43:30 AM »
They really are.

I'm so annoyed and currently icing my big toe on my left foot, which I may or may not have just broken.  Eric is spending the day helping a friend cater BBQ at a big fancy party, so I was taking the dogs out, and slipped on the post-rain slick walk in my Keds.  I wear them as slip one without laces.  When I slipped and fell, the one came off and my toe twisted.  I have no idea what it would fee like if it's broken, but it hurts like the dickens.

And I've got two gigs this afternoon - face painting and glitter tats for two hours at one party, then face painting for an hour at another in a different town.  This is going to suck.
« Last post by myeuropeantouch on June 24, 2017, 03:59:01 AM »
So sorry Larissa, our furry babies are our kids aren't they :'( :-*
General Discussion / Re: Anyone making sales?
« Last post by myeuropeantouch on June 24, 2017, 03:55:51 AM »
Hi I just opened up a store and noticed a lot of people don't have sales. Only one person answered your question. Makes me wonder if I should put in the time. How long has European touch been here? Looks like a lot of promotion too.

Been here since 2010 or 2011., not sure at this time.....
General Discussion / Re: Anyone making sales?
« Last post by galleryvalerie on June 24, 2017, 03:42:07 AM »
Hi I just opened up a store and noticed a lot of people don't have sales. Only one person answered your question. Makes me wonder if I should put in the time. How long has European touch been here? Looks like a lot of promotion too.
« Last post by Larissa on June 23, 2017, 04:51:03 PM »
Larissa,   I   have  been  AFK  for a few days  so  I am  just  getting  caught up  on  the  forum.  I  have  a suggestion  about  your  topical  allergies.   I  am allergic  to  alcohol  and that  seems to be the primary ingredient in any perfume.  I make  my  own  bar  soap  and  use  ALL Free detergent and no laundry  additives.  I'd  be  happy  to dig  out  my  soap  recipe  for  you.

Thanks, but I have to chuckle.  This is me:  https://handmadeartists.com/shop/ReefBotanicals&secid=350
« Last post by MsMartyD on June 23, 2017, 04:31:06 PM »
Larissa,   I   have  been  AFK  for a few days  so  I am  just  getting  caught up  on  the  forum.  I  have  a suggestion  about  your  topical  allergies.   I  am allergic  to  alcohol  and that  seems to be the primary ingredient in any perfume.  I make  my  own  bar  soap  and  use  ALL Free detergent and no laundry  additives.  I'd  be  happy  to dig  out  my  soap  recipe  for  you.
« Last post by Larissa on June 23, 2017, 02:40:01 PM »
Thanks.  I keep randomly crying.  Mostly in the office bathroom.  We're deciding now whether we're up for going for sushi with friends tonight.  I think they want to take our mind off it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10