Author Topic: When selling can you list something for made to order?  (Read 16681 times)

Offline Myfibernook

• View Profile
When selling can you list something for made to order?
« on: February 01, 2014, 06:48:43 PM »
Just wondering if ya'll have made to order here or only ready to ship?

Rhonda

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
Re: When selling can you list something for made to order?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 07:19:37 PM »
Sure you can, just be as detailed as you can so your prospective buyers know what to expect as far as how long it takes to make and ship, what sort of info you need from them ie color choices, size, personalization etc. The tricky part is right now is a note to seller isn't an available option at checkout here at HA BUT they can either leave a message with their choices when they are paying at Paypal or they can message you at your shop or you can message them (you'll have their email address once you get email notification that you've made a sale), no matter which way you want to go, again, be very clear in your listing. Hope this helps.

Offline Myfibernook

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 08:13:55 AM »
Thank ya'll, and Larissa, your cashmere scarf is absolutely gorgeous!  No, I wouldn't be able to afford making up a bunch of those either, waiting for someone to buy.

and I get the feeling that this truly is a site for true artists.  I know those cables , from what my mother tells me, can be troublesome to make-I've never made cables-neither in crochet or knitting.  I really want to get a taste of what cable making is like.

Rhonda

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 08:36:16 AM »
Thanks!  Cables intimidated me like you wouldn't believe before I tried them.  At this point, they'time-consuming, but not scary anymore.

I didn't even know you could do cables in crochet.  The only things I've ever crocheted are eyes for my animal scarves ( https://handmadeartists.com/shop/FabricOfMyMind&secid=3654).

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 03:03:53 PM »
Especially on some of my silversmith items, I list in the description that this is a custom made item, that the picture is a good approximation of the finished item (Thunder Rose does the same).  Also state a relative time frame for completing the order once you have it.  I put the quantity available at 999 so I don't have to go in after each sale and relist/edit the item.  I can also attest for Blue Highways doing custom items.  She made me a journal with a malachite pattern cover.

John
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 03:10:12 PM »
Especially on some of my silversmith items, I list in the description that this is a custom made item, that the picture is a good approximation of the finished item (Thunder Rose does the same).  Also state a relative time frame for completing the order once you have it.  I put the quantity available at 999 so I don't have to go in after each sale and relist/edit the item.  I can also attest for Blue Highways doing custom items.  She made me a journal with a malachite pattern cover.

John

Right!  LG Potter, Beth, and Lunarskies have all made custom items for me too!

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 03:14:47 PM »

John

I do have a listing in my shop for custom work and include the option in most of my listings that if they don't see anything that suits them just contact me and we'll get one made.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 07:19:39 AM »
A lot of my glass work  is made to order since I can customize it and actually do well with it!  People want one of a kind so there are a lot of people that will track you down to find something made just for them.

Offline Tashasflowercreations

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 03:57:42 PM »
A very helpful thread as I was wondering how to go about custom orders too and now I know  :D

Offline InitialImpressions

• Peg Bowles, Initial Impressions
    • View Profile
    • Initial Impressions
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 09:32:01 AM »
All my items are custom because they are personalized.  I have done this successfully on my regular site and on etsy.