Author Topic: how much time do you put into this?  (Read 14297 times)

Offline Myfibernook

• View Profile
how much time do you put into this?
« on: February 01, 2014, 04:08:44 PM »
I know this ain't Etsy and things take time, I know nothing worth having comes easy.  But I just want to have an idea of how much time and effort ya'll put into your shops?  Or do you have shops?  I know you have accounts but unsure of how this is set up. 

For the record I have both an Etsy and a Zibbet shop but have them both on vacation right now.  Just looking into other venuews.  I was getting about one sale every other month on Etsy, but that's without promoting-just listing.  People I live with/around critisize me for being on the computer alot and buying/selling on the computer.  It takes alot of time to do this kind of work-and I'm just trying to figure out if I'm going to keep selling on line or start selling locally .

I look forward to your responce,
Rhonda

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: how much time do you put into this?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 05:02:14 PM »
Not enough.  :(  When I do put in the time marketing, I see my sales spike, and then I get lax & they drop again to some extent.  It really is a job, I've just let other things take over.  Like sleep... since I was getting nearly none when I was doing this properly, between this & the day job.

Don't let the people around you complain.  They don't understand; this IS a job.  More than that, it's a business.  A job may be 8 hours a day.  Successful people who build businesses put in a lot more hours than that, whether online or offline. 

Offline Myfibernook

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 06:13:42 PM »
Hi Larissa, Yea, it does take time.  Even on Etsy you have to work on it a good bit of the day.  I was attracted to this site because they seem to be truly handmade.  I hope it stays that way.  and ya'll have lots of ways to promote yourself right here on the forum (the gallery etc...).  That makes it different. 

Well right now I'm just a buyer trying to check it out.  I like what I see already!

r. :)

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 07:18:18 AM »
We don't have the same traffic as Etsy just because we are not as big as them and never will be.  We will always stay handmade which puts us in a different market-think Tiffany's vs WalMart is how we are building it.

As far as time?  Well, I've told many that you get out of it what you put into it.  I quit my job and work from home full time which can be tough and sometimes my boys act like I'm playing and interrupting is no big deal.  But, if we want this to work, then you put in the same hours here that you would any other job.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 04:02:14 PM »
I think time put in varies greatly from person to person. I also think it depends on what you expect to get out of it. I had let my shop go because I was putting in all my time at my B&M store. Now that I have closed that, I can concentrate on this again. I put in several hours nearly everyday. That includes pictures and all that entails, the actual listing, promoting, etc. Having jewelry, my department here is saturated like it is everywhere else, but I just keep pushing forward. Sales are coming around again, slow but sure.

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 10:16:14 PM »
I try to put at least 4 hours a day doing something online for my shop.  That also involves facebook, pinterest, etc.  I had no sales on ETSY over several years, and put in more time there, including all the circles, etc.  Ditto Artfire where I was a "maven" and "guild master."  Like everything, you need to  find a niche for your art and then promote the daylights out of it. 

Anything that I can do to assist you, just ask.

John
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com