Author Topic: godaddy vs network solutions  (Read 26503 times)

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: godaddy vs network solutions
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 06:20:21 PM »
As I've said many times, I'm a huge fan of self hosted wordpress sites. I've built many sites using other platforms and website builders. I would suggest going with a self hosted wordpress, and a host. The learning curve is worth the time, and you will never out grow the platform. It can do anything that you want in a website. i was stubborn about it at first but my brother talked me into it, I finally listened and will never look back.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 06:48:16 PM »
Thanks Andrew, only I'm in kindergarten... by  " self-hosted wordpress" and a host", what exactly does that mean,? a site that I can add to and change  but need a "host to help with the initial set-up?   I have a big learning curve going on here :laugh:

I do have a friend whose son is in the business of building sites but I need to know the proper questions to ask before jumping in.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 07:13:52 PM »
First I see you already have a blogspot, so if you can figure how to post on blogspot, you can figure out how to post on wordpress.
Wordpress is a blogging software just like blogspot. Wordpress.com is hosted by wordpress themselves, it is the same thing as blogspot only using wordpress software. Wordpress.org is whrere you can get the wordpress software and load onto your own hosted server.
Host is where you have your server.
The first step is buy your domain, if you haven't already. I just use godaddy, I know others may have had problems with them, not me, they have been great.
Your domain will only cost somewhere be 10-12 dollars a year or so. Even if you are not ready to build your website, buy your domain, own it. You do not want someone else buying your domain.
I hate to say it, but I have been known to buy domains, just to get the name. I have no reason to buys yours but someone else may. Hell a landscaper may want that one.

Once you own your domain you need to find a host. That is the server you will have your website on. I use known host, however they are expensive compared to others that I have seen mentioned.

Once you have your host, you need to load wordpress on your server, some hosts will load it for you. I use a software called fantastico, that is loaded on my servers to load wordpress on the server.
Once wordpress is set up on your server, you can choose a theme. Just search wordpress themes and you'll find thousands of them.

You can always get wordpress for dummies, I did, worth the couple of bucks, read the book. The learning curve is worthwhile, you'll be an expert in no time.

I can actually set up a wordpress site and have it going in a matter of minutes, it truly is easy once you get the hang of it.

I've spoken with Kimberly about this before. It may be something we may consider in the future, but there is a way for us to be able to offer hosting and your own wordpress site to our members.
It would be on a different domain and you would be able to have your own domain. The issue is time. If we ever get time to set something like that up we may. So instead of paying a host you would be us. It is something I've wanted to do, just no time.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 08:05:04 PM »
Wow, thanks for the explanation! That would be great if you did set up a hosting site, but I can see where you guys are very busy already.....but you are so good at explaining things that I know the support would be great.
Thanks for the advice on getting my domain, I will do that soon if I'm not too late. Is there a difference between getting a dot com, dot net or other?
Where do I find a list of different hosts? google it?
Explanations just lead to more questions, sorry, I really should take a computer course or look for that book for dummies :laugh:

Offline JimJuris

• I am the author of two ebooks on photography.
    • View Profile
    • Inexpensive Jewelry Photography
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 08:25:46 PM »
Bev, a dot com is handsdown the BEST one to get.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 06:01:25 AM »
Agreed get the .com and yes, just  google web hosts