Author Topic: godaddy vs network solutions  (Read 26520 times)

Offline YankeeBurrowCreations

• View Profile
    • Yankee Burrow
godaddy vs network solutions
« on: September 04, 2013, 02:28:36 PM »
has anybody tried these web hosting sites? I have one domain name listed with godaddy (yankeeburrowcreations) that I use, and one with NS (yankeeburrow) which I haven't done anything with yet.  godaddy is having a special on webhosting, but I've never used them for anything but my domain name which is pointed to my blog.
any suggestions?
 :-\

myeuropeantouch

Re: godaddy vs network solutions
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 06:42:51 PM »
Didn't hear anything good about godaddy from numerous peeps....that's all I know.... :P

Offline Uniqlets

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 01:34:08 AM »
I used GoDaddy and switched in large part because I am offended by their sexist ads and their templates are not great. I now have my site with InMotion Hosting, they have great reviews, good promotional prices and 24/7 domestic support.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 03:24:57 PM »
I use knownhost, they may be a bit more pricey than others but the uptime is has been practically 100% since I joined them and they have excellent customer service. However the customer service is email only, but still excellent. If you want to talk to someone on the phone they are not the ones to get. But email response is very quick

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 04:14:01 PM »
I use Godaddy for my domain name, but my website is through Indiemade.  Don't know if Indiemade has their own webhost or if they are using another hosting service.

Offline JimJuris

• I am the author of two ebooks on photography.
    • View Profile
    • Inexpensive Jewelry Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 10:30:15 PM »
I use hosting24 for my web hosting.  It is $7.84 per month.

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 10:42:05 PM »
I use Godaddy for rasmussengems.com which when you go to that site and click on the Enter sign, you get transferred to Handmade Artists.  That costs me $10/year and I get a email account through Google, which is a gmail with my domain name.  So, I'm weird, I don't have a personal website.

John
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

Offline JimJuris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 03:21:43 PM »
I would like to suggest that you look into NameCheap for web hosting.  It is something like $3.99 per month, but you have to pay annually.  It may only be for one page, but you can then redirect your visitors to your shop here.

Offline YankeeBurrowCreations

• View Profile
    • Yankee Burrow
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 12:07:02 PM »
It sounds like John's set up is more like what I am looking for.  I don't want a website I have to keep managing, but I want my domain names to send customers to my site, so when they type in  yankeeburrow.com they get my blog site, and YBvintage and YBcreations got to my shops.  so in that respect, I'll probably have to use go-daddy.  I agree about the sexist ads and stuff, but all I really want is domain forwarding, and they are the cheapest (that I have found)
Thanks everyone.
Debbi

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 04:21:47 PM »
I'm happy to hear about the different alternatives, I've been thinking of a web site as a place to make a gallery of our different arts, most of which I carry to the craft show, but set in such a way that I can direct people here for sales and be able to list here anything that they might see in the gallery (that hasn't sold at the shows) Does that sound doable?

Offline JimJuris

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 07:29:46 PM »
Bev, I would say that the simplest and easiest way for you to go is to set a WordPress blog.  You can go to wordpress.com and set one up for free.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 09:02:37 PM »
Jim, is Wordpress better than blogspot as far as ease of use and being found? And is it capable of expanding into a multi-page web site when I learn enough?

Offline JimJuris

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 09:59:55 AM »
Bev, if you want to be able to do what you are asking about then you would need to create a website using WordPress.org, which is not free. 

That will allow you to do anything that you want when it comes to setting up a website.  I prefer to code my websites by hand using HTML, but if you are not familiar with HTML it is harder.

I have never created a website using WordPress, but WordPress is very popular, but it is also very popular with hackers.

Here is the best blog that I have ever seen.  It uses Blogger.  Her name is Pearl and I have known Pearl for quite a few years.  She writes something new on her jewelry blog EVERY DAY.  http://www.beadinggem.com

See if the blog that Pearl has is what you want.  If so, that will be easier than setting up WordPress, although WordPress is not that hard to do.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 03:30:18 PM »
Thanks Jim. Pearl's site is much more ambitious than I am contemplating.and well thought out. at present I have a blog but seldom make the time to post on it, between work, and craft shows, making things, and family, my life is quite busy. I realize for the future of my business I do need to do more of these networking type things, but still getting comfortable with regular forum posting. My long range plan is to gather information so that when I can retire (in 2-3 years hopefully) then I will put some kind of site into action.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.