Author Topic: I'd like a critique...  (Read 14434 times)

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
I'd like a critique...
« on: May 02, 2013, 08:07:23 PM »
I'm new  and having   a ball but haven't sold anything yet.
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
Re: I'd like a critique...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 11:27:12 AM »
Your shop is nice and colorful in my opinion.
You have your policies filled out well but not your profile. your profile is a good place to introduce yourself, why you craft, how you got started, etc.
item descriptions; could be a little more elaborate, questions I would have from the ones I checked. 1. what are the measurements for the tote bag (add metric if you sell internationally)
2. bandana hat, care instructions? are they colorfast?
3. repeat that you are offering free shipping- not everyone reads your policies ;)

I'm not an expert, so consider the source if you decide to make any additions ;) I'm new too with only one sale here so far.

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 12:36:53 PM »
Thanks!    I'll make some adjustments....   The hats are color fast.  My mama taught me  back in the dark ages to soak all my  cotton fabrics in cold salt water through as many rinses as it takes  the water to run clear....  Thanks for the input...   I'll get on the profile and other items  this very moment.
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 01:01:32 PM »
It's funny, but the things, processes, techniques that we (I'm from your era too) assume that everyone knows-they don't know and we have to try to answer any questions that might be wondered about, before they are asked. You have a good attitude, sales will come eventually.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 02:14:26 PM »
I agree with MulchandMore. Your shop is colorful , items have good descriptions. I would fill out the profile at least a little. Doesn't have to be your life story, but a little bit is always nice.
However, I don't think you need to apologize for your "archaic language" as you put it or your age. People are really funny about stuff like that Although it is meant to be a light hearted poke at yourself, some may think it degrading or even offensive. And MulchandMore is right about old techniques. Never assume anything. I have found myself explaining the most basic things to people both when I worked for JoAnn fabrics and here at my store. It amazes me sometimes. It makes me wonder how they got that far along in life.
Don't forget to promote yourself too. It will help with exposure and sales. :)