Author Topic: My 1st Sale on Handmade Artists! & 1 Tip for You  (Read 20687 times)

Offline ErinsInspirations

• View Profile
My 1st Sale on Handmade Artists! & 1 Tip for You
« on: April 18, 2013, 11:33:29 AM »
 Yeah! I’m soo excited to have made my first sale here!!  I also sell on etsy and a little bit on ebay, but I haven’t been this happy about a sale in a long time J 
The other day I was starting to think about how I’ve had no sales here, but then realizing that I don’t have a lot of listings here yet either… So I’ve been trying to set aside time to continue adding items to this shop (although I have a lot more to go).
One thing I tried a few days ago was I took some of the reviews customers had left for me on etsy, and I quoted them in my shop announcement.  I don’t link them to my etsy shop, but I felt I needed to mention that’s where the reviews came from.  Maybe it made the difference or maybe not.  Just an idea that I thought I would share.

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
Re: My 1st Sale on Handmade Artists! & 1 Tip for You
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 03:38:37 PM »
The best wording for mentioning another shop site is to just do it.  The idea of quoting another sites positive/negative comments on your service/product is fine, in fact great.  In two years on ETSY I had no sales, over 200 pieces in my shop, and their fees were eating me alive.  And I was very active in the ETSY groups, etc.  Same for Artfire, so I am not unhappy with the response I have here.  Many more sales that do not show up here in the stats, because people contact me directly for custom orders.

John
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 09:39:56 PM »
Congrats on the sale, that's terrific!

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 09:41:07 AM »
Sales are always good! Congrats!

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 08:31:10 PM »
Congrats Erin, I know that you've had a few more since this one, so keep up the good work. Putting a little effort into your shop will pay dividends. I get very frustrated as everyone wants more sales  and get impatient. I understand that is what they want, but to be honest and I've said it before, we are like etsy in 2009 or so. We about 4 years behind etsy's growth. We started on etsy in 2006 and it took us 6 months to get a sale. That was the norm back then.
That is one of the reasons we keep our fee low, we do not plan on raising it anyway, but the goal is to keep the fee low and build. Unfortunately people come and go so fast it is quite frustrating for me. Come leave in a month because no sale and put absolutely no effort into their shop. I'm so glad you stuck it out and I'm so glad that through our emails you've been able to refine your set up a bit recently.

I would love to see all of our sellers put a little extra effort here as I know that several hundred people promoting and putting in an effort will really change the site for all.

Offline beadthing

• Whatever you are be a good one. ~Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 08:54:08 PM »
Congrats on the sale.  That is great and I see that you have had more that is wonderful. 

Andrew is right though we have a lot of work to do and we need everyone to help promote this site.

Blog ring and FB and Twitter are about to start back up again very soon, everyone should participate, it only takes a few minutes and it garners a lot of new views for everyone on the site, this has to help.

Offline ErinsInspirations

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 11:48:45 AM »
Thanks everyone!  Yes, I definetly agree with Chainmaille and Beadthing- The effort you put in determines what you get out of it, no matter where you sell.  Even with selling jewelry on etsy, it's hard because the jewelry category is so saturated.  I really feel that obstacles or lack of sales could also be a test of how hard you really want something to work.  For those who give up after 1 month, maybe they just didn't want it bad enough.  But speaking of effort, I haven't been working on my shop for the last 3 weeks, due to my daughter being off from her mom's day out program and some vacations.  She started back up today, so now that I have a few hours to spend, I really don't know where to start to get back into the swing of things...  So many plans, so little time!

Offline normasbathandbody

• View Profile
    • Norma's Bath and Body
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 03:30:03 PM »
congrats!

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 03:48:03 PM »
YAY....sales !!!!! They do happen.....

Offline DeltaMoonSoap

• View Profile
    • Delta Moon Soapworks
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 09:01:19 AM »
That's awesome! Congratulations!

I haven't had a sale here yet, but I feel like that's my fault, I have been slowly adding more items and I have started to do more promotion as well. I also sell on Etsy. It's hard to manage the time to get it all done!

Thanks for sharing your story!  :D

Offline CrochetHooked

• Supporter of all things Handmade
    • View Profile
    • CrochetHooked
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 02:14:25 AM »
WTG ErinCongratulations!

Cari (CrochetHooked)

I have a desire to create, a passion for my craft, and maybe… just maybe I will inspire another.

About Me
My Shop
Website