Author Topic: International shipping - just received my first international order  (Read 2613 times)

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
I just received my first international order.  Just so I get this right, how do you attach the customs form on the outside of the package and do you need to put a copy of the invoice on the outside too?  This order is to Canada.  I'd appreciate any advice from sellers who have shipped to other countries.

Offline Colette

• View Profile
    • Colette's Boutique
Re: International shipping - just received my first international order
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 07:52:12 AM »
I had a few international orders, and every time I went to the post office because I wanted to make sure I was doing things right. Hope some other people chime in.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 08:32:10 AM »
I just go to the post office & hand them the package & customs form.  No external invoice.  I ship to Canada all the time & it's fine.  Congrats on the sale!

Offline Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 12:58:23 PM »
Even easier that, just go to PayPal and do it from there.

the address is:  www.palpal.com/shipnow

you will have to log in

when you are logged in, pick your carrier...USPS

I automatically go to create shipping label, but you may have to click on that first

Go over to the right hand side of the page and select which country you are shipping to and follow the steps, fill in the boxes, print and DON'T FORGET TO SIGN IT...very important.  AND, don't put Gift...put whatever it is in the description.  (for me I say Greeting Card)

If it fits into your mailbox, you can put it in there, but if it's larger, I guess you'll still have to hand it over to a postal clerk at the PO.

You can, but don't have to put an invoice inside the package.

Hope this helps!  Congrats on the sale!  I had my first Canadian order last week!

Beth

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 03:51:58 PM »
I usually take my packages to the very small post office branch on the lower level of the building I work in, so I may let them attach the form.  Is the customs form separate from the shipping label?  I have seen differing opinions on international shipping, so I wanted to make sure I got it right. 

I didn't see first class international in the PayPal options, but I will look again.  I have the downloadable USPS software which has first class international as an option, but i don't think you can pay through that.  It just prints out the label and I think custom form and you pay for it at the post office.  I have not used it yet.  I always put the invoice inside the package in case the outside label gets messed up. 

Thank you for your help.  I usually ship the next day, but I told the customer I will ship within the next couple of days just to give myself time to get everything together. 

Offline Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 04:01:06 PM »
If you are hand addressing the package, then yes, the customs form is separate. 

(I have used the shipping on Etsy, not on paypay for international and on Etsy it's all one piece of paper.)

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 06:05:03 PM »
I have heard about the Etsy shipping offering first class international, but I don't use their shipping since I don't use their payment system.  Also, this order was on HandmadeArtists, not Etsy.

I always print the shipping labels to get the commercial rate, but there is not a place to do that for first class international unless you pay for a website like stamps.com.  I looked on PayPal, but they only have domestic first class.  I'll try the software from the USPS and see how that goes.  I hope that one prints it all on one paper too.

Thanks to the congrats too!

Offline Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 06:37:02 PM »
Sorry about directing you to PayPal.  I had looked on the page and guess I didn't read far enough down the page to see they only offered Express and Priority.  I was just trying to help.  I'm sorry....that wasn't helping you at all :(

I know when I had my first sale on Handmade I was so confused and didn't know what to do.  I ended up just sending it regular mail for regular price.

My next sale on here, I  decided I needed to learn how to ship from here, so I had to ask questions.  I totally understand what you are going through.  That's how I learned how to use the PayPal shipping for domestic packages. 

Again, my apologies.

Beth

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 06:54:18 PM »
I always walk them into the post office...on another note, congrats on going international!  I love the fact that I have my pieces all over the world.  Silly, but so much fun to know that my work is better traveled than I am!

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 05:28:50 AM »
No problem Beth.  Paypal has first class domestic, but not international.  The USPS software works well for printing, but you have to pay for it at the post office.  I can use it for the shipping methods that I can't print online, although I don't like paying in personal funds and adding more personal funds to the business capital account...want to pay business expenses with business income and not keep putting more personal funds into the business...do that enough with supplies. 

I will have the postal worker check it when I take it there today.  It's convenient to have a tiny PO branch on the lower level where I work.  Thanks for the congrats!

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 08:28:40 AM »
The order to Canada is on its way.  Now I will keep my fingers crossed it makes it through customs and to the buyer in a reasonable amount of time. 

Offline Uniqlets

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 01:32:40 AM »
What do you guys generally charge for international shipping?  I have limited myself to domestic sales because of shipping.  Just haven't done it, how much of a hassle is it?  Nobody is buying my things here, maybe I would have better luck in another country  :D

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 06:21:23 PM »
I was able to track my Canada order on the Canada Post website using the customs number.  That was great since in the U.S. it didn't get scanned after it left the local sorting location.  It's still on its way...last scan was in Ottawa.  Still keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't get hung up in customs.

I have a spreadsheet where I keep track of how much it will cost to ship to each international region for the shipping methods I would use.  I add in postage, packaging expenses, insurance, and Paypal fees to get the total I need to charge.  You can use 1st Class International for up to four pounds, but you can't print the label online unless you pay for one of the subscription services.  I used the USPS software to print the label in order to get the commercial rate but had to pay for it at the PO, which I prefer not to do since I don't want to mix personal and business funds.  International priority is really expensive and, from what I have read, does not get there any quicker than the less expensive 1st Class.  I have attached the spreadsheet I downloaded from the USPS site that has all the prices on it, both retail and commercial.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 05:40:03 PM »
Canadian Post is pretty slow, so be patient.